Chinese construction in Cambodia’s ‘next tourism hotspot’, Kampot, has residents and NGOs worried

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: Chinese construction in Cambodia’s ‘next tourism hotspot’, Kampot, has residents and NGOs worried

Post by whatwat »

Strawberryshake wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:18 am Wow 42 stories but the local fire brigade ladders can only reach the first floor!
Grenfell...
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: Chinese construction in Cambodia’s ‘next tourism hotspot’, Kampot, has residents and NGOs worried

Post by whatwat »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:13 am
whatwat wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:12 pm This “news” is at least 6 months old. Utter tosh.
It's not a copy of the speed that the Chinese moved on Sihanoukville, nicked named an invasion, Kampot is getting a pace fitting of the area, slow and laid back, but it's coming, that of a soft takeover, later in the year I would expect to see a big change.
So, too with Siam Reap, the government has learned since Sihanoukville and started laying road's in advance. How the country will look in 2025 will more than likely look like a mass Chinese suburb.
Maybe but I hope not.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:13 am
whatwat wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:12 pm This “news” is at least 6 months old. Utter tosh.
It's not a copy of the speed that the Chinese moved on Sihanoukville, nicked named an invasion, Kampot is getting a pace fitting of the area, slow and laid back, but it's coming, that of a soft takeover, later in the year I would expect to see a big change.
So, too with Siam Reap, the government has learned since Sihanoukville and started laying road's in advance. How the country will look in 2025 will more than likely look like a mass Chinese suburb.
Oh no .! Maybe I will have to move back to shitsville if they invade “ Siam” reap 😉
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

Why does the Headline of this thread mentiones NGO ? Nothing further was explained.
To the satisfaction of many Barang in Kampot which consider most NGO, particulary those which are foreign funded as a PEST. I am certain that most of those high profile NGO in Sihanoukville are in dire straights right now. Not only because of the Covid 19 Pandemic but also because one of their favourite target was the white male which has now completely disappeared. Some of the NGO Pest has turned up in Kampot but not yet set up a permanent office there. Human Rights org. Licadho has had the longest period of silence not because of fear but because their past actions have proven to be completely useless. The evangelical missionaries/churches are equally deprived of funds and start to look meager but i don't see any skinny preachers praying to heaven that the cash cow of the brainwashed deciples will donate the tennith again. Faith has disappeared largely. Welcome to the new normal !
Mostcurious
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Mostcurious »

There will be many new tall buildings like this being constructed soon in what used to be sleepy Kampot, this is a fact.
Personally speaking I don't find it at all appealing, Kampot was a charming laid back coastal town which will soon be lost forever, just like what happened to Sihanoukville. Imagine when this happens the whole coast line of Cambodia will be lost to the Chinese.
On my last visit to SE Asia the locals I spoke to were very enthusiastic about the arrival of the Chinese. One local lady told me how she was currently learning how to speak Mandarin. I swear you could see her eyes light up when she said this.

As a traveller I will be looking to visit alternative places once travel restrictions have been lifted.

Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Hoi An does very well from tourism preserving the old town.
You would think that they would leave their options open, this is just stupidity beyond belief.
I would say greed & gluttony beyond belief but we know it has no bounds in the Kingdom of wonder!
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

It does read like something written maybe 2 years ago.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic