The perils of riding a moto?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: The perils of riding a moto

Post by lagrange »

atst wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:20 am
clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:02 am
Bluenose wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:21 am If you have medical insurance check the small print to see what it says about this. Cambodia doesn't require a license for under 125cc, but it is possible your insurance policy states you are only covered if you hold a license for the country you are in. Don't give them an excuse to not pay up.
This. I've mentioned it too a few times on earlier threads. I think it's never been made explicit that that rule includes foreigners.

For this reason, I personally wouldn't want to test the 'you don't need a licence for under 125cc in Cambodia' when claiming on medical insurance. Hence, I would recommend getting the 'big bike' local licence regardless just to be sure.
Even with a Cambodian license if your traveling on travel insurance , you may find you need a valid bike license from your home country also
That's the case with my Australian Nomads insurance policy. So in my case I'm uninsured because I don't have a license in Australia or NZ, then again due to covid all insurance is invalid anyway
Great thread still think a push bike if only for around town is best
I am not sure how a push bike is safer if you are riding in Phnom Penh traffic. You are slower than everything else on the road so everyone will be overtaking, on both sides. Still just as vulnerable in an accident. And there will be many times when you need that sudden burst of acceleration to get out of trouble, which is not easy on a push bike unless you are Lance Armstrong on steroids.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

lagrange wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:51 pm
I am not sure how a push bike is safer if you are riding in Phnom Penh traffic. You are slower than everything else on the road so everyone will be overtaking, on both sides. Still just as vulnerable in an accident. And there will be many times when you need that sudden burst of acceleration to get out of trouble, which is not easy on a push bike unless you are Lance Armstrong on steroids.
I completely agree..the motorbike should have enough power to follow the traffic speed..but not much more as you will be tempted to overspeed and hit that thing coming out of nowhere. Fixing brakes and a decent tyre is a cheap minimal insurance policy.
work is for people who cant find truffles
lipservice
Expatriate

Post by lipservice »

If you need to ask, don't do it.
Find a cheaper tuktuk.
Save your life :)
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

OP does not state if he has any experience on motos, If no experience learning in PP could be a death sentence. :nono:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Some of you who have moto's, or like our OP thinking of one. Do you follow what goes on here? Since it's been mentioned in this thread, how well do you know the traffic rules and laws, would you say that they are clear, explainable in English so foreigners understand any change or progress.
I first saw this on the news channel the other day, again, information is only in Khmer, but here is the article.

Crackdown on motorcycle noise and hazardous driving

Daun Penh District Authority has seized sixty-five big motorcycles over the weekend in an crackdown on noise disturbance and unsafe driving practices.
The crackdown came after Deputy Minister and Minister of Interior Sar Kheng instructed all local authorities to seize motorcycles causing excessive noise and require their drivers to complete an education on safe driving and the importance of not creating public nuisance and disturbances prior to their motorcycles being released.

Mr Kheng noted that there have been cases of bikers modifying their engines specifically to increase the noise they generate.
He elaborated on the crackdown above and beyond the bikes seized for noise violations, adding that a number were also seized for hazardous driving, including speeding that endangered the safety of other drivers and pedestrians.

He said that police officers will coordinate and cooperate with the Ministry of Public Works and Transport to identify and address all motorcyclists failing to heed the rules and educate them.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50802130/c ... s-driving/
Before this article the police started to stop motorcyclists around Independence Monument around the midnight hour's. It's not just the large bikes, but any they seem to think possible to be on the louder side
I have heard some of the Cambodian riders comments, the best being " If you don't want them in the country, why export them from Japan".
I would say the easy answer is just, money.

The second thing, I myself would like to know, has anyone been in "what is explained has to be educated by them", I don't know if it's happened too a expat before, I would presume it might also be a difficult situation and task to do so.
Now I prepare myself to try make things a little quieter.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:46 pm i Personally prefer riding honda dreams, every streetside mechanic knows their way around a Dream like the back of their hand and the parts are super cheap to replace, for example you can get a new wing mirror for only 3000r, they are a smooth ride
They make the wave for cheap Charlie’s , like an impala compared to a bel aire
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i've owned waves, (100 and 125's they have gears BUT no clutch) since 1990
when i travel i usually rent the Chinese version of one. (great bikes)

When i went to Bali i had to rent one of the fucking automatics. Hated it and their real dangerous going on long downhills.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

lagrange wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:51 pm
atst wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:20 am
clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:02 am
Bluenose wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:21 am If you have medical insurance check the small print to see what it says about this. Cambodia doesn't require a license for under 125cc, but it is possible your insurance policy states you are only covered if you hold a license for the country you are in. Don't give them an excuse to not pay up.
This. I've mentioned it too a few times on earlier threads. I think it's never been made explicit that that rule includes foreigners.

For this reason, I personally wouldn't want to test the 'you don't need a licence for under 125cc in Cambodia' when claiming on medical insurance. Hence, I would recommend getting the 'big bike' local licence regardless just to be sure.
Even with a Cambodian license if your traveling on travel insurance , you may find you need a valid bike license from your home country also
That's the case with my Australian Nomads insurance policy. So in my case I'm uninsured because I don't have a license in Australia or NZ, then again due to covid all insurance is invalid anyway
Great thread still think a push bike if only for around town is best
Why do you call it a push bike ? Doesn’t it have any peddles ?
I always use pedals and ride mine .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

clutchcargo wrote:

Do any general laws here explicitly say that foreigners are included?

Would I be able to murder someone as the law doesn't actually say that it applies to foreigners?

AFAIR there now isn't a license class for sub 125 motos. So it would be technically impossible to get such a license.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

pissontheroof wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:12 pm Why do you call it a push bike ? Doesn’t it have any peddles ?
I always use pedals and ride mine .

Lol, I think that's a British / Aussie thing?

I always just called my bicycle a.....................bike. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic