Moving back to Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Moving back to Phnom Penh

Post by ExPenhMan »

Are there some decent (non-girly, non-headbanger) bars in SR? With my recent 3-month experience in lifeless, largely abandoned Pattaya, I don't care to sit all alone in a pub and stare out the front into empty streets. In other words, a comfy bar or two you can call home, so to speak.

The question I suppose is moot, considering how long it will be before I can enter Cambodia again for a visit or long-stay.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

ExPenhMan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:22 pm Are there some decent (non-girly, non-headbanger) bars in SR?
I don't think there are too many girly bars in Siem Reap. Headbanging I don't know about, that Temple Bar was as noisy as fuck though, even in the bar across the street it was deafening.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Post by angsta »

Marty wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:10 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:53 am
Marty wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:38 am
angsta wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:02 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:54 pm

Where is he heading? I think he'd fit in well in Kampot with the community there.
He's been leaving SR for a couple of months now but hasn't got very far. Very possibly Kampot.
That's because drug addled Aaron couldn't find Kampot with a map. In fact, he couldn't find his own ass with a map! Is he taking his equally drug addled trusty sidekick Dave, from Dave Does Cambodia fame with him? They make such a cute couple!
I know Dave well and he don’t do drugs even when I offer him a toke of good stuff , he’ll have a few beers ( he likes that angor shit ) I buy him a couple craft beers then after oiled up a little I switch to my cambodia cans - some day I hope to win a moto I think i deserve by now becuz I drink about a case a day

I just don’t understand why I get kicked out of just about every place I go - looking forward I might move back to shitsville
Never Pp , that place is way too ugly - pure garbage city yuck good riddance to aaron and any rebels still around
Thanks, that's good info. Dave is just naturally a goofball then? And how about offering me a toke of the good stuff? Or even of the schwag stuff? But ya gotta admit, Aaron and Dave make a very cute couple and should never be separated.
The only 2 things they have in common is their passports and e-begging. Oh and the joint reluctance to ever get a job.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

angsta wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:43 am
angsta wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:02 am

He's been leaving SR for a couple of months now but hasn't got very far. Very possibly Kampot.
That's because drug addled Aaron couldn't find Kampot with a map. In fact, he couldn't find his own ass with a map! Is he taking his equally drug addled trusty sidekick Dave, from Dave Does Cambodia fame with him? They make such a cute couple!
I know Dave well and he don’t do drugs even when I offer him a toke of good stuff , he’ll have a few beers ( he likes that angor shit ) I buy him a couple craft beers then after oiled up a little I switch to my cambodia cans - some day I hope to win a moto I think i deserve by now becuz I drink about a case a day

I just don’t understand why I get kicked out of just about every place I go - looking forward I might move back to shitsville
Never Pp , that place is way too ugly - pure garbage city yuck good riddance to aaron and any rebels still around
Thanks, that's good info. Dave is just naturally a goofball then? And how about offering me a toke of the good stuff? Or even of the schwag stuff? But ya gotta admit, Aaron and Dave make a very cute couple and should never be separated.
The only 2 things they have in common is their passports and e-begging. Oh and the joint reluctance to ever get a job.
I also think their sex preferences are the same. Fruitcakes. Yes that's why left Trumpville, too many jobs. Now that the new prez is in, no need for a job.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:47 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:22 pm Are there some decent (non-girly, non-headbanger) bars in SR?
I don't think there are too many girly bars in Siem Reap. Headbanging I don't know about, that Temple Bar was as noisy as fuck though, even in the bar across the street it was deafening.
When i first got to siem reap I had always wanted to visit the famous mikeys bar after I met a thrief in sihanoukville who said she “worked “ there

Huge disappointment!
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Marty wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:27 am
angsta wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:43 am

I also think their sex preferences are the same. Fruitcakes. Yes that's why left Trumpville, too many jobs. Now that the new prez is in, no need for a job.
Above I said I know Dave , he lives with a very nice girl and they really do DO good things with limited funds
i Vouch for dave
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Come to Laos! The Chinese invasion hasn't happened (yet).
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

ExPenhMan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:22 pm Are there some decent (non-girly, non-headbanger) bars in SR? With my recent 3-month experience in lifeless, largely abandoned Pattaya, I don't care to sit all alone in a pub and stare out the front into empty streets. In other words, a comfy bar or two you can call home, so to speak.

The question I suppose is moot, considering how long it will be before I can enter Cambodia again for a visit or long-stay.
My favourite is Funky Village, near the eastern end of Funky Lane. The owner, Chris, is a great guy and a world expert on 60's Brit Pop. Also its a hangout for many of the more interesting long-term expat crowd, who are a very friendly bunch. Next favourite is the Big Bang Bar on Sok San (not a girly bar, although the beautiful lady owner will arrange something if thats what you are looking for). Finally, the recently opened ANZAC bar on Bamboo Street - still building up its clientele, but again Scotty the owner (a Kiwi) is welcoming to new faces. But I suppose if you are not here, all that info is not a lot of use to you.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

lagrange wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:11 am
ExPenhMan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:22 pm Are there some decent (non-girly, non-headbanger) bars in SR? With my recent 3-month experience in lifeless, largely abandoned Pattaya, I don't care to sit all alone in a pub and stare out the front into empty streets. In other words, a comfy bar or two you can call home, so to speak.

My favourite is Funky Village, near the eastern end of Funky Lane. The owner, Chris, is a great guy and a world expert on 60's Brit Pop. Also its a hangout for many of the more interesting long-term expat crowd, who are a very friendly bunch. Next favourite is the Big Bang Bar on Sok San (not a girly bar, although the beautiful lady owner will arrange something if thats what you are looking for). Finally, the recently opened ANZAC bar on Bamboo Street - still building up its clientele, but again Scotty the owner (a Kiwi) is welcoming to new faces. But I suppose if you are not here, all that info is not a lot of use to you.
Great stuff. Something positive to look forward to. :beer3:
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

pissontheroof wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:44 am
John Bingham wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:47 pm
When i first got to siem reap I had always wanted to visit the famous mikeys bar after I met a thrief in sihanoukville who said she “worked “ there

Huge disappointment!
I have only been to Mikeys once. I stopped in for his 50c Happy Hour (Cheap charlie, moi?), there were two of the oldest and least presentable bar girls I have ever seen sitting outside, and a big barang sitting behind the bar. I said hi, are you Mikey? He said 'F*ck no', turns out he is Swedish or something. Not a particularly cheerful chap, but we struggled through half an hour of conversation before I paid my $1.50 (do the math) and left for brighter pastures.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic