British Teacher GARY MOSS, 55, Passed Away in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

British Teacher GARY MOSS, 55, Passed Away in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On January 7, 2020, at 6:30 pm, a British man, GARY SINCLAIR MOSS, 55 years old, a teacher at British International School of Phnom Penh, passed away at house no. 208Eo, Sangkat Chey Chumneas, Khan Don Penh, Phnom Penh.
The witness named Chath Mom, the landlady, said that the victim came to stay at her rented house alone on July 10, 2017. He always left home at 06:40 am for teaching and returned home at 6:30 pm.

Then on January 5, the victim hadn't been to work for 3 days, so his friend visited him and found him ill and weak. On January 6, 2021, at 6:30 pm, the victim's friend called the Sunrise hospital to take the victim to the hospital. The doctor checked the victim's condition. The victim's temperature was 38 celsius, and he was so weak. They called an ambulance from Calmette hospital, but they couldn't [wouldn't?] come to take the victim because his temperature was too high. [Possibly due to Covid-19 concerns ?]

On January 7, at 06:30 pm, the friend went to check on the victim and found that he had passed away. The police went to the scene to examine the body and determined that the victim died because of an ulcer.

The deceased's personal belongings were sent to the Department of Immigration to be claimed by the family. The victim's passport was taken to the Ministry of Interior. After the examination, the body was taken to keep at Teuk Thlar pagoda.
RIP and condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: British Teacher GARY MOSS, 55, Passed Away in Phnom Penh

Post by atst »

R.I.P I hope I read the story wrong or was mixed up with translation.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Condolences to friends and Family.
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

RIP.

How would the police determine his passing was due to an ulcer? Medication at his home, perhaps?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There was a poster on TOF who worked there for a long time, he was always quite guarded about it though - like they didn't need to market themselves or recruit anymore students etc. I wonder if it was him.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

The poster John Bingham is referring to is either myself or springrain, though springrain stopped working at our school 7 years ago, while I remain Head of the Secondary School, which is where Gary worked.
The friend who found him was a fellow British teacher who also works at our Secondary School. They would travel together to the school at Prek Eng. Our school reopened on Monday. He rang the other teacher at 4 am to say he was very ill and would not be coming to work for at least a week. He said it was a recurrence of a previous condition and he would get back in touch to get the friend to buy medicine for him. He did not contact or answer his phone or e-mails for two days, so his friend visited him on Tuesday evening and found him in a terrible state and unable to get out of bed. He convinced him he needed medical attention and we arranged to have him collected by ambulance the next day. Their refusal to take him because he had a temperature was ridiculous, as his symptoms were nothing like covid. He was deteriorating and delirious at that stage We arranged for another ambulance from a different hospital to collect him on Thursday, but he was dead when the friend and the ambulance arrived.
As a former long term ulcer sufferer, I find it difficult to believe it was the cause of death, as the symptoms displayed don't indicate an ulcer attack.
Gary was a former UK policeman, who did teaching qualifications when he as about forty, taught there for a few years, then moved to Korea and, finally. Phnom Penh, about 8 years ago. He taught in several other prominent schools before joining us about 4 years ago. He was a rather private person, a very moderate drinker and gave no indication of using drugs. He was a very dedicated and conscientious teacher, who really cared about the progress of his students. He will be sorely missed.
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

That is a sad story. RIP Gary.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Jeez just 55 , a kid , that’s what work will do to you , I been retired since the age of about 30 , the doctor told me i’d be dead long ago from my cancer but i might have outlived him 🤷🏽‍♂️
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
cruefox
Tourist
Ireland

Post by cruefox »

I worked with Gary at CIA FIRST and met him by chance again just before Xmas briefly where he seemed in relatively good spirits.

I have been in contact with his two sons who in turn are looking to talk to someone from the school. Would it be possible for them to contact you Gilmore?

Has there been any kind of ceremony for Gary or is one scheduled?

RIP - He was a good guy.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

The moral of this very sad story is that if you are sick and have a fever, which is a symptom of many things, don't call an ambulance as they might refuse you because of Covid fears. Get there in a taxi at all costs. Tuk-Tuks will take just about anyone in any condition. Don't leave it too long either. If you are very sick with a temperature they will leave you to die.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic