Heartbreak Hotel.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Heartbreak Hotel.

Post by Ghostwriter »

Buying ciggies at a stall 50 m from there must feel like going full indiana Jones , for some of their guests. Quite an adventure, compared to those nesting in the Vatanac heights.

Surely no dead bodies under the mattresses, except maybe a cockroach from time to time....

i wonder how the various-reasons-for-screaming-people in the street will be dealt with, to smoothen the transition from a dimension to a whole another ?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Sambodia wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:26 am When they say "slated for Q12021" that must mean Q12021 is best case scenario if there's an effective and safe vaccine developed, distributed globally and international travel can resume in the next 5 months which, IMO, is way too sanguine of a forecast. It would make no sense to open a hotel given current conditions as i'm sure they're business case requires $150+ RevPAR (revenue per available room) to justify the labor expense of operating a hotel and nobody in town is getting even half of that now. The Rosewood (which is likely much nicer) is charging $150 with < 30% occupancy = $50 RevPAR. Cheaper hotels like the White Mansion are charging only $40/night with similar occupancy. Really cheap guesthouses are charging $2-6/night.
They are opening on January 6 so let's wish them well. They have done well with google reviews (22 already and not yet open!)
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

That was a lovely villa and the author’s guess at it’s value ridiculous. I looked at a big villa for sale in BKK3 in 2007 or so. It wasnt colonial and had a pool with a room in the centre connected by a bridge. You went down stairs and looked into the pool through portholes.
The owner was a General with the framed CIA certificate on the wall from Langley Virginia. He wanted $500,000 for it which I thought was good value. By 2014 it would have been worth $1.5 million.
Kit Meng has the huge compound on the corner of Norodom and MST. He was building the huge house there which was a huge fuckup. They ordered the timber frame windows from Australia and they were all too small for the openings! There was another 60s house in the compound with a massive indoor pool. But the house was fucked. All the timber was full of termites. Doors, architraves, skirting, cornices, flooring. And it stunk of them.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Hyatt Regency Phnom Pehn opens in Cambodia
Author: Theodore Koumelis / Date: Wed, 01/06/2021 - 09:08

Offering 247 rooms, the opening marks the largest hotel by an international brand in the city and Hyatt’s debut in the Cambodian capital.

CHICAGO - Hyatt Hotels Corporation announced the opening of Hyatt Regency Phnom Penh, the first Hyatt hotel in the Cambodian capital and the second Hyatt hotel operating in Cambodia. The 247-room property is the largest hotel from a global brand in the city and is located in the heart of the cultural and business district of Doun Penh, which is a 30-minute drive from the airport and within walking distance to the Royal Palace, National Museum and the riverside.

“We are excited to open our doors and introduce the Hyatt Regency brand to Cambodia, supporting the country’s hospitality industry as well as reinforcing Hyatt’s steady and thoughtful growth in Southeast Asia,” said Herman Kemp, general manager, Hyatt Regency Phnom Penh. “We look forward to welcoming business and leisure guests to an energizing new space where they can recharge, discover locally inspired culinary experiences and stay connected during a stress-free travel experience, all delivered with the warm comfort of Cambodian hospitality.”
https://www.traveldailynews.asia/hyatt- ... st+News%29
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Sambodia wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:39 pm
atst wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:35 am
Sambodia wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:26 am When they say "slated for Q12021" that must mean Q12021 is best case scenario if there's an effective and safe vaccine developed, distributed globally and international travel can resume in the next 5 months which, IMO, is way too sanguine of a forecast. It would make no sense to open a hotel given current conditions as i'm sure they're business case requires $150+ RevPAR (revenue per available room) to justify the labor expense of operating a hotel and nobody in town is getting even half of that now. The Rosewood (which is likely much nicer) is charging $150 with < 30% occupancy = $50 RevPAR. Cheaper hotels like the White Mansion are charging only $40/night with similar occupancy. Really cheap guesthouses are charging $2-6/night.
There are some good bargains to be had if you book hotels for a week or more, some riverside PP with balcony $20 a night
Which properties are you referring to? Just curious for few examples
When I come to PP I usually stay at the Vacation Boutique Hotel, remodelled and modernised, pretty good location on 136, $18 for room no window, $20 for balcony room. Always clean, well serviced, 'guest friendly', what more would you want?
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Sambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Sambodia »

lagrange wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:36 pm
Sambodia wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:39 pm
atst wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:35 am
There are some good bargains to be had if you book hotels for a week or more, some riverside PP with balcony $20 a night
Which properties are you referring to? Just curious for few examples
When I come to PP I usually stay at the Vacation Boutique Hotel, remodelled and modernised, pretty good location on 136, $18 for room no window, $20 for balcony room. Always clean, well serviced, 'guest friendly', what more would you want?
Sounds like a terrific value
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic