Riel only pricing directive?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Riel only pricing directive?

Post by Soriya »

Patcan wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:57 pm
Beeznus wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:07 pm Surely this is hadly an issue when speaking of sub 10k riel purchases...oh also this post prompted my first ever post!
Normally I go to Lucky almost every day....largely for the exercise too.... But mainly for the 50% and 70 % off sales.....My purchases normally average between 5-15$ per visit...
In the past they got it right 90 % of the time...Floor managers had to come over last year (often via walkie talkies) to key in the purchases...
seems to be easier ro key in discounted pruces for regular tellers now.... But as with all new applications, check the figures on the bill before leaving.... I normally spot the mistakes on the screen before handing overmy money but this coulf be a lot more difficult now
Apparently i was told any teller can scan the discount now, unlike before when a higher person had to key it in.
I will certainly be keeping an eye on bills, i spend 50-60$ every 2 weeks.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Food Panda says it uses the countries main money where it is based. But here I question, because all is quoted in the dollar, I also asked what their exchange rate is for the reil to the dollar, I got no answer from them, and as usual it's 4200 and only works one way.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Beeznus wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:15 pm It’s still only 20-60k purchases... hardly worth the worry ...
Look after the cents/pence /riel ...and the dollars/pounds take care of themselves....
.. It is about making sure the new system in place is accurate for the general public and not flawed...A good forum here for your Lucky purchase experiences with the new system....Just keep a heads up...If you have plenty of doe and a I don't care attitude for a few riel then fine...
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Soriya wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:34 pm
Patcan wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:01 pm Milk discounted to $2.15 on the container but rung up as 8900 riel on the bill (which is hard to see)....
Thats a high exchange rate, around 4200 riel to the $
When things were priced in dollars and $1/$5 were supposedly being phased out, I found that you could generally ask the checkout staff to give all the change in Riel and they were happy to do so at the same rate. So if your bill was $10 you could give them a $20 bill and get 42000 back which works in your favor. Not many places you can change money at that rate.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Today everthing, including meat and vegetables was priced in riel only....Which is ok by me ....will take a little getting used to...
The item at checkout are all rung up in Cambodian only...my ice-cream again being the exception...
Total is in US$ and riel which is good..
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I can understand using the riel but not having everything in Khmer. Are they trying to cut out all foreigners?
I guess now I will shop at Bayon or Super Duper. I cannot read Khmer so how do I know if it is correct items.

Ok. I could learn to read Khmer or take a long haired dictionary with me.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Arget wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:53 pm I can understand using the riel but not having everything in Khmer. Are they trying to cut out all foreigners?
I guess now I will shop at Bayon or Super Duper. I cannot read Khmer so how do I know if it is correct items.

Ok. I could learn to read Khmer or take a long haired dictionary with me.
You pretty much have to remember the price in riel of everything you are buying...
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Post by chinesetakeaway »

Although grab has been pricing in riel for a while since I had it hooked up to a UK revolut card I’ve been paying 3% on the exchange rate for the privilege of paying in pounds.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Looks like English is back at Lucky...on the checkout screen and bill.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Ever since they phased out the 1 and 5 dollar bills I decided to start paying with credit card. Pay in dollars, no change.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic