Moving back to Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Moving back to Phnom Penh

Post by rozzieoz »

ssian wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:09 pm Gone downhill so much as in?
Lots of businesses have closed, many expats have left and now they've started roadworks to widen all the roads and the dust is horrendous, along with all the accompanying nonsense.
It reminds me of SNV when they started widening the roads before the Chinese trucks moved in.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

And those dashing off to Kampot may well change their mind when the shipping port currently under construction only 6Km from the town centre opens mid-year.

OML
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:46 pm
Lots of businesses have closed, many expats have left and now they've started roadworks to widen all the roads and the dust is horrendous, along with all the accompanying nonsense.
It reminds me of SNV when they started widening the roads before the Chinese trucks moved in.
The trucks will come for sure, with all the new plans in place. But this would be little upset to the city, being that the airport and proposed new construction is out of range of the old city, it looks like the Chinese investors want to build a new city purposely of their own liking, putting their own mark in an area where the ancient temples of Angkor stand, the most important historical site to Cambodia and its largest tourist attraction. It's also that of a religious site to Khmers and Indu belief's.
It will be of interest to onlookers if this progress keeps on track, being mainly to bring directly, the large number of Chinese tourists to view the wonder of Angkor Wat. This would be an advantage in money terms to Cambodia. But, I can't help thinking of the costs to the world heritage site, such has we have seen in past years, the growth of tourists also brings added cost of maintenance and facilities to accommodate the many new footprints to the ancient temples.
Like Rozz mentioned that the area is a reminder of SNV, another place lost to the multitude of mixed world forginers, to be singled out to be a new sole destination of Chinese tourists and settlers of new Chinese business. It really makes one think of things to come, is there place for other world visitors, or that of any future work for the many Khmer tour operators.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
wendyaspinall
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by wendyaspinall »

That sounds horrendous. It was already quite bad as it was when I made the trip there last Sept 2019. I was also not happy that I got a 10USD change in USD from one their businesses and was later rudely told I can't use it. The bus ride from SR to PP was quite horrendous too.it was quite a scary experience for me since I was travelling alone. That will be my last trip there.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The horror....the horror..
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

There are no roadworks or dust in Phnom Penh at all. :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Well to be honest its about time something was done about the roads in SR, and its got to be done before the rainy season, hence the dust. But its only in a few streets (Wat Bo Rd is the worst, I agree, but it will be finished soon), most of the city is still calm and easy-going, traffic is still light. Maybe some high profile tourist trap restaurants (Hard Rock?) have closed, but there are still plenty of nice, clean local cafes serving decent food. Bars aplenty, even some with pretty girls for those so inclined. And if some expats have chosen to leave, well I for one won't miss them, I have expat friends here who still love the place as do I. Pub Street is suffering badly but those bar and restaurant owners had very many great years so its just part of the business cycle. One day the tourists will come back to disrupt our peaceful city - no rush for that to happen, mate, for sure.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

@lagrange Thank you for the contrasting view. It's been about two years since I last visited. Still quite liked the town. But I think the coming Chinese commercial invasion will change the north forever -- that is, if it actually happens. I, for one, would be happy it didn't. I'd like to try living there for a while. But that will be a long wait.

BTW, is SR still suffering electricity brown-outs and blackouts?
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:45 pm @lagrange Thank you for the contrasting view. It's been about two years since I last visited. Still quite liked the town. But I think the coming Chinese commercial invasion will change the north forever -- that is, if it actually happens. I, for one, would be happy it didn't. I'd like to try living there for a while. But that will be a long wait.

BTW, is SR still suffering electricity brown-outs and blackouts?
Yes electricity cuts now are much more extensive than before. Six times a day with durations from 5 minutes to an hour have been happening. Not necessarily for all the city all the time.

I guess Mr. lagrange does not get out much if he thinks that Wat Bo road is the worst. What about the new road parallel to Wat Bo road that has been bulldozed through residential property? Thousands of people have had their houses demolished - dozens in my street. The north and west sides of the old market will be knocked down but work has not yet started on that. My former small lane is now a wasteland which we think will stay that way for months. There is no intention to actually repair any of the really bad roads - only to build roads where none are needed. If they are ever finished they will quickly fall into disrepair when no maintenance is done.

The invasion of the Chinese is really all rumours at the moment. There is speculation that they will be given large tracts of Apsara land near Angkor Wat to build some kind of Entertainment City. Who knows what will happen.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Tbh for me Siem Reap has been going downhill since 2013

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic