Hangover cure

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
exoterre
Expatriate
Greenland

Re: Hangover cure

Post by exoterre »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:35 pm I am a bit of a foodie and will happily spend 30 hours preparing a beef bourguignon. But when it's comes to a quick fix for a hangover, this is quick, simple and as effective as anything else I have tried. Apart from more booze, obviously.

for sure you have 80/100 blood normand bro , sorry
the french lover
bienheureux le simple d esprit car il et misericordieux
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I get terrible hang overs than can last for up to 4 days, the first couple of days being totally incapacitated mentally as well as physically.

I have tried every cure in the book from saunas to fry ups to hair of the dog to exercise to binge watching The Sopranos and none of them work at all. Apart from one....

Heroin.

Bit of decent quality gear off the foil and you are right as rain very quickly. Unfortunately this method of hangover cure opens up another can of worms down the road.

Ho hum.

:thumb:
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

A young Cambodian female friend has a very appropriate Tee shirt, that suits her well, and that's well matched to this topic and it reads...Avoid Hangovers - Stay Drunk.
She has the ability to drink a lot of red wine!

OML
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:46 am I get terrible hang overs than can last for up to 4 days, the first couple of days being totally incapacitated mentally as well as physically.

I have tried every cure in the book from saunas to fry ups to hair of the dog to exercise to binge watching The Sopranos and none of them work at all. Apart from one....

Heroin.

Bit of decent quality gear off the foil and you are right as rain very quickly. Unfortunately this method of hangover cure opens up another can of worms down the road.

Ho hum.

The solution is easy. Don't go past 30. Implementing this sage advice is a fraction harder. Hangovers don't actually get worse with age, just longer.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:45 am
Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:46 am I get terrible hang overs than can last for up to 4 days, the first couple of days being totally incapacitated mentally as well as physically.

Heroin.

Ho hum.

The solution is easy. Don't go past 30. Implementing this sage advice is a fraction harder. Hangovers don't actually get worse with age, just longer.
Me and a friend are beginning to conclude that the swill that passes for beer is a big factor. We have been drinking a bit more of the canned 'Draught' Guinness that is sold in a few bars here. If you can stay on those for most of the night and maybe limit spirits to 2 x Bombay Sapphire from a reputable bar (not girly one), hangovers are noticeably less severe.

I am beginning to think that Cambodia draught, in any quantity much above 6, elicits a price well beyond it's $0.75c price tag.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Heroin.

Ho hum.

Keep practicing, it gets easier , now i just take a couple of them codeine with whatchamacallit paracetamol phosphate capsules
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Lot of info on the connection between cheap booze and hangovers.

"All booze is fermented, which creates alcohol and other byproducts, like carbon dioxide (responsible for harmless bubbles), and chemicals called congeners, or fusil oil impurities, which are a type of alcohol our bodies can't process and make us feel sick"

"Congeners are biologically active chemicals (chemicals which exert an effect on the body or brain) and are often contained in alcoholic beverages, in addition to ethanol, the key biologically active ingredient of alcohol."

"Congeners are found in larger amounts in dark liquors, such as brandy, bourbon, darker beer and red wine, than they are in clear liquors, such as vodka, gin and lighter beers. One particular congener — methanol — breaks down into the toxins formaldehyde and formic acid, which can worsen a hangover."

Further purification of food‐grade alcohol to make a congener‐freeproduct
Most alcoholic beverages contain small amounts of chemicals other than ethanol, the congeners. These arebyproducts of the fermentation process of the substrate. Congeners are implicated in contributing to hangover(veisalgia) symptoms and it is therefore considered expedient to remove these substances. This researchcompared 12 established vodka brands with a new product by GC‐MS‐olfactometry. A new vodka producedin Iowa from corn was found to be the purest while another corn‐based vodka and a potato‐based vodkacontained eight and 12 impurities each. Eight other commercially available vodkas contained 15–19impurities and three vodkas showed more than 30 impurities. Neither the raw material nor the country oforigin made a difference to the level of the impurities.
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/212845945.pdf
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:48 am A young Cambodian female friend has a very appropriate Tee shirt, that suits her well, and that's well matched to this topic and it reads...Avoid Hangovers - Stay Drunk.
She has the ability to drink a lot of red wine!

OML
Sounds like my kind of girl!
Though I'm starting with a baileys & milk to be semi respectable on a Sunday :)
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:09 am
Freightdog wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:45 am

Heroin.

Ho hum.

I am beginning to think that Cambodia draught, in any quantity much above 6, elicits a price well beyond it's $0.75c price tag.
If local I definitely avoid angkor , anchor , ganzberg and the other one , I stick to mass quantities of canned cambodian only ,
I feel addicted

Cheese 🧀 and burp
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Heroin.

Ho hum.

Given up heroin, but binge-watching The Sopranos seems to work ok . :assasin:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic