Adult Literacy Schools/courses (Khmer)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Adult Literacy Schools/courses (Khmer)

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:50 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:58 am
armchairlawyer wrote:Apparently it is quite difficult for Khmers to learn to read and write Khmer as an adult (possibly exacerbated by teaching issues). A lot easier to learn to read and write English!
A lot of my khmer friends in Sihanouk can now speak Chinese Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makes sense, only speak, or also read and write?
literate as well i think
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:17 am
Chuck Borris wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:02 pm Any update on adult literacy courses/schools in PP?
Contact your local Provincial Office of Education. All of them run literacy courses for adults and they're supposed to be free.
Addition: office of non formal education. Present in every POE.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Whilst the OP question was specific to learning Khmer, and I responded with an outline to the BEEP - Basic Education Equivalency Programme, - expanding a little on the BEEP may well be of assistance to others seeking a broader approach to adult remedial education for a Cambodian.

The Cambodian BEEP programme is designed to give adults with no or very "patchy" education the equivalent educational outcome that they would have received if they had completed all school grades/years 6 through to 9.

The BEEP programme comprises Khmer - Maths 1 and Maths 2 - English - ICT Information and Communications Technology - Entrepreneurship - Tourism - Chemistry - Physics - Gender and Basic Employability.

Unfortunately, there are only BEEP Centres in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap but they are needed in other parts of the country too.

I trust that this is of interest and assistance to some others.

OML
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic