CEO News: Kleng Romseyu?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

CEO News: Kleng Romseyu?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I noticed yesterday while driving by that the market on MTT near Mondial center (ផ្សារ ឃ្លាំងរំសេវ /Rumsiyu market/gunpowder storage market) is being torn down. Any news about this? Mondial was apparently sold quite a while, but the adjacent market is news to me. I'm assuming the government owned the market, so... Who got the money, what is it slated to become?

I'm kinda curious as it was most likely state land and of course, everything is often hush-hush when it comes to these sort of deals between the government and bigwigs, be they local or foreign. Any ideas (Khmer news?) of what will becomes of that whole area? It's huge so would be of interest if it ever pops in the local news.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: CEO News: Kleng Romseyu?

Post by Arget »

To be fair to everyone in the hierarchy here they probably hold a "chook" raffle with each Carefully Prepared Person holding only one ticket. The winner gets the latest govt public/govt private/heritage listed / land available.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:57 am I noticed yesterday while driving by that the market on MTT near Mondial center (ផ្សារ ឃ្លាំងរំសេវ /Rumsiyu market/gunpowder storage market) is being torn down. Any news about this? Mondial was apparently sold quite a while, but the adjacent market is news to me. I'm assuming the government owned the market, so.
There have been disputes at this market for years, it's not government owned - it's private. I believe it was owned by the same guy who owns Mondial Center.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

John Bingham wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:57 am I noticed yesterday while driving by that the market on MTT near Mondial center (ផ្សារ ឃ្លាំងរំសេវ /Rumsiyu market/gunpowder storage market) is being torn down. Any news about this? Mondial was apparently sold quite a while, but the adjacent market is news to me. I'm assuming the government owned the market, so.
There have been disputes at this market for years, it's not government owned - it's private. I believe it was owned by the same guy who owns Mondial Center.
Interesting. Apparently he had sold out Mondial, so perhaps just let the leases run on the market and now tear down beginning. Do you happen to know the history behind it? The market literally means "gunpowder warehouse", which suggest it used to be a sort of military warehouse perhaps? Too far from the palace to be very old though.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic