Smart@Home in the provinces?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Irony Man
Expatriate
Ireland

Smart@Home in the provinces?

Post by Irony Man »

Has anyone tried using Smart@Home out in the provinces, where there is no official service?

I assume the router is just a 4G router, so in theory it could work wherever there is signal.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Smart@Home in the provinces?

Post by ssian »

In theory yes... But province really depends on the area network coverage... If network out of range still won't work. My place in PP city has this no signal issue so my cell card doesn't work in bedrooms but when I go living room, slightly better...
Irony Man
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Irony Man »

Thanks, my signal is fairly good, and in theory it should work, technically, but I wonder whether the service itself is active everywhere, or if they only turn the feature on in certain cells.

The question I should have asked is, what is the best unlimited internet option far out in the countryside, assuming you have phone signal?
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

why not just use Hotspot, would that not be the same thing?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

If you already have 4G Smart on your phone, do some speed tests at different times of day and see how it performs before you sign up.

And yes, just use your phone as a hot spot? Smart has a good deal if you recharge $5/month.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Irony Man
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Irony Man »

Good idea, I will check phone speeds, but it only has to be fast enough for youtube or netflix on laptops. I didn't check phone plans as I assumed video would quickly blow through the megabytes.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Irony Man wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:06 pm Good idea, I will check phone speeds, but it only has to be fast enough for youtube or netflix on laptops. I didn't check phone plans as I assumed video would quickly blow through the megabytes.
Plan I'm on is ThomMorng Weekly. If you top up $5/month you get like, I dunno, a GB of data a day... something like that, you might want to look that up.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

The signal used for Smart @Home is not the same as the one used for 4G, so you can't use that as a barometer. But as mentioned, you can use your phone & tether if your 4G is good enough. Use the SmartNas app to get a deal like StreamOn & you could be cooking on gas.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Doesn't work outside of Phnom Penh and major provincial cities. Ask them about coverage map, but even in Kampot it won't work right outside of city limits.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:04 pm The signal used for Smart @Home is not the same as the one used for 4G, so you can't use that as a barometer. But as mentioned, you can use your phone & tether if your 4G is good enough. Use the SmartNas app to get a deal like StreamOn & you could be cooking on gas.
What is Smart @Home?
Smart @Home is fast, convenient home Wi-Fi from Smart. All you need is a Smart @Home router with a SIM card that connects to the Smart wireless network. It’s easy to set up as there’s no fiber installation required; simply plug in the router at home, switch it on and connect! You can also request one of our agents to visit your home and do it for you.

So it's a 4G router that is speed limited according to your plan?

Anyway if 1GB data/day is enough then I recommend this plan: https://www.smart.com.kh/get-smart/plans/thommorng/ for $5/month it's better value.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic