Welder Killed in Boat Explosion

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Welder Killed in Boat Explosion

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, Sihanoukville: A man was killed when sparks from welding caused an explosion with the petrol tank on a boat that was being repaired in Stung Hav district, Sihanoukville.
The man died instantly. RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
flea
BANNED

Re: Welder Killed in Boat Explosion

Post by flea »

Get on and do it attitude. I am thankful for the health and safety of European Nations.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

flea wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:54 am Get on and do it attitude. I am thankful for the health and safety of European Nations.
I was a subcontractor working for major petrolatum companies, health and safety was a must, if only it made you aware of the danger's before you, that I would think saves many injuryies or loss of life,
Has of here I don't know the state of play, but really there's no excuse, being that all the know how and information is there from other countries you mentioned, such has Europe, also there are people of that nature, whom maybe employable, just a thought towards saving lives.
Workman unfortunate in some respects, accidents will continue to happen, because of what an accident simply is, but less chances can be limited by training. RIP
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:53 am
flea wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:54 am Get on and do it attitude. I am thankful for the health and safety of European Nations.
I was a subcontractor working for major petrolatum companies, health and safety was a must, if only it made you aware of the danger's before you, that I would think saves many injuryies or loss of life,
One of the many common themes through my travels with work, in Asia, and other places with 3rd world attitudes, is the opportunity for people further up the chain to exploit the people doing the work. Exploitation comes in many forms. Often, the driving factor being greed- get on and do it, as quickly as possible. Little to no risk assessment, who needs precautions if you do it correctly? It's an environment that allows those who simply couldn't give a damn, to thrive.

Often, and generally, it's locals exploiting locals. But there's plenty of foreigners who should know better taking advantage of the lax attitudes, too. One of the worst airline managers I ever had the misfortune to encounter was actually British/Irish who was notorious in european circles, and so plied his trade in Asia. Getting away with things that would be simply illegal back 'home', but which saved money, and thus made him a hero to the company's board. Safety costs money. In much of the developed world, with legislation, the financial cost of negligence makes the cost of safety an investment. In places where there is little safety culture, it is just dead money. Until there is worth given to human life, it persists.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:51 am
AndyKK wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:53 am
One of the many common themes through my travels with work, in Asia, and other places with 3rd world attitudes, is the opportunity for people further up the chain to exploit the people doing the work. Exploitation comes in many forms. Often, the driving factor being greed- get on and do it, as quickly as possible. Little to no risk assessment, who needs precautions if you do it correctly? It's an environment that allows those who simply couldn't give a damn, to thrive.

Often, and generally, it's locals exploiting locals. But there's plenty of foreigners who should know better taking advantage of the lax attitudes, too. One of the worst airline managers I ever had the misfortune to encounter was actually British/Irish who was notorious in european circles, and so plied his trade in Asia. Getting away with things that would be simply illegal back 'home', but which saved money, and thus made him a hero to the company's board. Safety costs money. In much of the developed world, with legislation, the financial cost of negligence makes the cost of safety an investment. In places where there is little safety culture, it is just dead money. Until there is worth given to human life, it persists.
It was heavy on my mind that countries, and being a developing country that what you have said is so true, also we come from the first world, you quote that you worked for someone who didn't care. I had the experience of working for myself, and health and safety cost me plenty, having to go to different parts of the country to attend courses and meeting's, and also for people working for me.. If you wanted to step foot on a petrol station too work, you needed to have all your health and safety certification up to date, just a two day course would allow you access on to the forecourt, price for the first stage course would cost £3000 per person. But again you would not be able to work without, then depending on what your work would be, you would need certificates and compitence in the job in hand. Health and safety became my nightmare, with these kind of bodies overseeing my every move, once I was told I had been working too many hours, but if the job didn't finish on time then my contact staited I pay the petrolatum companies daily compansation, meaning I could work for a loss. On the other hand another thing you mentioned about get the job done whatever has been said in round about ways, but that doesn't mean health and safety is forgotten neither neglected, has long has you have been schooled in the essentials, that may be what is lacking here.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic