Angry Mob Beat Up 13Yo Junk Collector Accused of Theft (Mistakenly?)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Angry Mob Beat Up 13Yo Junk Collector Accused of Theft (Mistakenly?)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On December 22, 2020, at 8:45 am, an unidentified boy, aged about 13 years old, a junk collector, was accused of theft and became seriously injured after he was attacked by a group of people, in Sangkat Chom Chao, Khan Porsenchey, Phnom Penh.
Witnesses say that the victim boy was on his motorbike cart, when suddenly he was chased by a group of people shouting "Thief!". More and more people attacked the victim, causing him to get seriously injured and fall on the ground.

Those people were beating the victim because they accused him of stealing people's properties in Sangkat Chom Chao, however, in the end, nobody claimed that they lost any property, and nobody filed a complaint with police for theft, and no stolen goods were found.
[Could it have been a case of mistaken identity ? If so, poor lad.]

The patrolmen sent the victim to Chom Chao police for questioning. When he arrived at the police station, the police couldn't question the boy because he was so seriously injured, and they sent him to the hospital for treatment instead.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Angry Mob Beat Up 13Yo Junk Collector Accused of Theft (Mistakenly?)

Post by atst »

Sometimes the angry mob get it right but when they get it wrong, many times it's terrible.
Opportunist coward's most of them.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Poor kid, the mob get it wrong and no one comes forward to say that they have had belongings stolen. Wonder if someone was pissed that he had the junk instead of may be the one who may have called him thief. Also apart from this I thought there was a requirement of age to ride a motorcycle, and more so for a trailer, don't you need a license if it's a Moto with trailer.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

atst wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:44 am Sometimes the angry mob get it right but when they get it wrong, many times it's terrible.
I tend to agree. In a country where is there so little faith in the criminal justice system, sometimes mob justice is better than no justice, and while I don't agree in general on mob justice, if the alternative is that the perpetrators can buy their way out of punishment, sometimes it's the only alternative.

But as this spectacularly demonstrates, mob justice is no alternative to a functioning and fair legal system that people can have faith in.

Sounds like the the poor kid got it bad. Hope he pulls through ok.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

xandreu wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:26 pm
atst wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:44 am Sometimes the angry mob get it right but when they get it wrong, many times it's terrible.
I tend to agree. In a country where is there so little faith in the criminal justice system, sometimes mob justice is better than no justice, and while I don't agree in general on mob justice, if the alternative is that the perpetrators can buy their way out of punishment, sometimes it's the only alternative.

But as this spectacularly demonstrates, mob justice is no alternative to a functioning and fair legal system that people can have faith in.

Sounds like the the poor kid got it bad. Hope he pulls through ok.
A beating from the catchers is not so bad , I think it's the opportunist coward's who create the mob wanting to add thier piece is where the beating goes to far
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Anyone from the angry mob been arrested/questioned? How about the guy shouting "thief" in the first place?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

atst wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:33 pm I think it's the opportunist coward's who create the mob wanting to add thier piece is where the beating goes to far
I think that's it.

I bet 99% of those knuckle heads had no idea what was going on or what the accusation was.......they saw an opportunity to put the boots to someone and they happily did just that.

There is a lot of simmering resentment in this country because this is a face-saving culture.....so people don't generally call each other out on their bullshit.....they just smile and carry on.

So, given the opportunity to lash out.......as part of an anonymous mob......they'll do so......with ravenous, bloodthirsty, gusto.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:01 pm Anyone from the angry mob been arrested/questioned? How about the guy shouting "thief" in the first place?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic