today, I met Jesus

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Re: today, I met Jesus

Post by Sir Stephen »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:45 am In the end, the Bible is a personal roadmap of how to be a good person.
Of course you can believe that if you want. Without this 'roadmap' it would be chaos right? No one would know what is right or wrong..and what is good and bad..
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:45 am Oh ye of little faith!

Please continue believe in Christ. And Santa Claus.
And of course, the Tooth Fairy. :mrgreen:
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Sir Stephen wrote:wOf course you can believe that if you want. Without this 'roadmap' it would be chaos right? No one would know what is right or wrong..and what is good and bad..
Knowing is different from doing. Doing wrong is always easier and quicker. Doing right is always more difficult and can be personally costly.

For example, Khmer know that everyone should be treated equally (and not cheat the foreigner). But go to the local market and see what happens. Cops shouldn’t take bribes. Might shouldn’t make right on the roadways. Yet cops don’t stop the big SUVs for fear of angering an okhna.

Why do lots of members rail against corporations? Because often they choose the quicker, easier path.

Has society become more civil or less civil with the erosion of religion?

And which tooth fairy to believe? The happy kiddie tooth fairy or the dark Germanic ones that kidnap children for nefarious purposes?

Sorry to cause religious debate.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:45 am Oh ye of little faith!

In the end, the Bible is a personal roadmap of how to be a good person. It is up to the individual to follow, believe, and be changed, however.
Sure, and the Koran is the updated version. I'm not sure that people really need these religious roadmaps. It's an innate characteristic of any person in a society to get along with others. There doesn't need to be superstition involved. Of course it helps if everyone is in agreement with the same ideas, whether they are nonsense or not. There aren't too many famous temples around the world that were built by people who were quibbling about semantics. :roll:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Lol, save me Jesus. :mrgreen: Reminds me of this good old tune:
DogDay
Tourist
Barbados

Post by DogDay »

Jesus! Will someone put a name to the guy already?!?!
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Don't know haven't seen Jesus but have see Lawrence of Arabia with his wife and kids around lately, definitely a head wobble when you see him
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

DogDay wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:42 am Jesus! Will someone put a name to the guy already?!?!
All that really matters is can he heal the sick. The cure to COVID could be right here in Cambodia.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

After the 'Mary was a virgin' ruffled my cynical sense, I then looked at the Ten Commandments; the condensed version of the roadmap.

1-3 is all about you only worshipping only him, no-one else and never saying a bad word about him. You can't even say God damn you! to someone, as,
for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

It seems God, despite all his miraculous creations (in 6 days) suffers from debilitating jealousy, which is a rather immature and destructive human emotion and not really befitting of a God that you should allow to rule your life.

4. The Sabbath Day. Sunday off. That's ok, it's the benefit of clause 1,
I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

5. Honour you Father and Mother. I think that means all people much than you and don't forget they will be the ones brainwashing you with this shite as soon as you can speak and understand.

6. Thou shalt not kill. Really? More important than your day off?
I am fairly sure, in those lands during the stone age 2000 years ago, society had already decided that going around killing people with impunity was not conducive to a happy village. I am surprised Moses didn't mention this to God when he was taking dictation from God about the new rules. Maybe God just wanted to reserve that right for himself when he condemns to death those who work on a Sunday (or Saturday, or Friday, depending on which version you are following)

7 Thou shalt not commit adultery. I suspect that was aimed very much at the ladies and further raises the question of how the hell did Mary get away with her virgin birth excuse.

8. Thou shalt not steal. See 6. Society had figured this one out already and death was the punishment (whoops, another clause 6 breach)

9. Shall not bear false witness. So, No telling lies (that's reserved for the clergy, forever). Anyway, good luck with that one.

10. Thou shall not covet thy neighbours wife, house, car, ox and cart etc. So, no getting jealous. Unlike God who will get very jealous if you worship anyone of the hundreds of other Gods everyone was wailing at in those times, otherwise God will kill you (very slowly in hell for eternity).

Notable exceptions:

It is ok to keep slaves, beat the crap out of people, rape people, paedophilia activities and lie about it for centuries right up until the present day (yes, it's the Catholic Church at it's finest).

I am baffled by people of perfectly normal intelligence that buy into this racket, the biggest and longest running fraud ever perpetrated.

Santa Claus was a much better story, at least we all have first hand evidence of him being real. He used to bring us presents until the spell was broken, usually by an elder sibling. So we stopped believing and so he stops coming. Sounds fair enough to me and a much more plausible story that a big man in the sky in white robes and big white beard and who loves us very much but will kill us at the drop of a hat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic