Will you get the vaccine?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Will you get the vaccine?

Yes
56%
No
26%
Maybe
19%
No, Due to XYZ Theory
No votes

Total votes: 54
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Vaccines

Post by ExPenhMan »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:04 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:16 am Umm... the Aussie vaccine had HIV fragments as part of the carrier, so technically, YES, those vaccinated would get a positive HIV result. Not getting the HIV virus or AIDS, just getting a positive result on the test.

Of course it was tested only on patients with HIV to reduce false positive rate.

And after the public learned of this, the Aussie vaccine trial was promptly halted and the vaccine was discarded for use.
WTF? Bullshit.
Exactly. Nowhere in the reports does it say the Aussies tested the candidate vaccine on HIV-only patients. What did happen is that some trial participants' bodies detected that tiny HIV fragment, which is not a health hazard, and showed a false positive for HIV. The big issue was the news might cause the population to lose confidence in health authorities. So the government and developer CSL and UQ decide to end the trial and abandon the vaccine candidate, despite the fact that in early trials, it successfully sparked antibodies against COVID19.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Will you get the vaccine?

Post by phuketrichard »

Bottom line
If its necessary to travel to another country by air or land an it eliminates quarantine... I'll get it
if i dont need it to travel, but only need test.... i wont get it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

newkidontheblock wrote: Of course it was tested only on patients with HIV to reduce false positive rate.

And after the public learned of this, the Aussie vaccine trial was promptly halted and the vaccine was discarded for use.
No. Not true. Your source? With links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

xandreu wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:09 am
It's all very impressive once you take your tin-foil hat off and read up on the actual science behind this vaccine.
How dare you, I went to the Facebook Karen School of Medical Science and hence know more than all the doctors and scientists. You get out of here with your "actual science" nonsense. Facts and logic offend my delicate self-importance.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:43 pm Anyone in the UK or planning to return there sometime next year, and getting their shot then, can now use this online date predictor. Put in your details (no names or email BS either) and it give you a tentative date based on 1 million people per week being inoculated.

Mine is sometime in June which fits very nicely with my 2021 plans. But, as we know, God laughs when we make plans.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk
According to that, I should be heading back to Europe just in time for my Jab in February.

Now, here’s the reality. For about 3 to 4 months, a combination of letters and text messages from the NHS and my registered GP surgery in the UK have been encouraging me to get my Flu jab for 2020.
Initially, I attempted to do so, but was rebuffed on each and every occasion by those making the bookings- I’m not eligible due to being too young. Woo hoo.
But wait! I have these messages from you saying I am, and I should get it.
But no! They’re wrong. (Yes, in the brave new world, basic below average secretaries that can no longer type nor look good in a short skirt, now have the power over life and death)

Just a week or so ago, I received a very strong communique from the NHS encouraging me, as a patient with certain histories, to get the flu jab. Once again, several times, in fact, I tried. On each and every attempt to make contact, I was met by the same apologetic voicemail message that they’re dealing with unprecedented demand, and to call back later.

The early concern was of the NHS being overwhelmed by this crisis. I think the truth is that It’s the bureaucracy within the NHS that is overwhelmed. Hence you can’t get an appointment very easily, but when you do, the place is empty.
I can envisage an ever increasing stock pile of COVID vaccine, and an inability to process the recipients in a timely manner.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:57 am
Doc67 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:43 pm Anyone in the UK or planning to return there sometime next year, and getting their shot then, can now use this online date predictor. Put in your details (no names or email BS either) and it give you a tentative date based on 1 million people per week being inoculated.

Mine is sometime in June which fits very nicely with my 2021 plans. But, as we know, God laughs when we make plans.

According to that, I should be heading back to Europe just in time for my Jab in February.

Now, here’s the reality. For about 3 to 4 months, a combination of letters and text messages from the NHS and my registered GP surgery in the UK have been encouraging me to get my Flu jab for 2020.
Initially, I attempted to do so, but was rebuffed on each and every occasion by those making the bookings- I’m not eligible due to being too young. Woo hoo.
But no! They’re wrong. (Yes, in the brave new world, basic below average secretaries that can no longer type nor look good in a short skirt, now have the power over life and death)

Just a week or so ago, I received a very strong communique from the NHS encouraging me, as a patient with certain histories, to get the flu jab. Once again, several times, in fact, I tried. On each and every attempt to make contact, I was met by the same apologetic voicemail message that they’re dealing with unprecedented demand, and to call back later.

The early concern was of the NHS being overwhelmed by this crisis. I think the truth is that It’s the bureaucracy within the NHS that is overwhelmed. Hence you can’t get an appointment very easily, but when you do, the place is empty.
I can envisage an ever increasing stock pile of COVID vaccine, and an inability to process the recipients in a timely manner.
My family and friends told me it would be about the same time as you have mentioned, my son's lady is a nurse deal daily with covid-19 cases, her vacation would too be around June.
So the UK will do that total of vacations per day that you quote, when you think there's quite a lot of involvement and work, it makes me think how are Cambodia to fair in this position when their time comes, or would you think they will be asking for overseas qualified volunteer staff?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

WTF? I can teach you in 5 minutes how to give an intramuscular shot in the upper arm......
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

I did attempt to explain the use of an HIV protien and how that vaccine had been scrapped after false postives and public outrage and that it had been Australian creation and not a US plot to attempt population control. She didn't seem 100% convinced but some of the people around here also claim the vaccine will be used to put trackers in people so...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:57 am

And this is precisely why I sent off an e-mail to the Harley Street Practice, not 10 minutes ago before logging on to CEO, to make enquiries as to getting vaccinated privately when I return in July. I doubt the NHS will get to me before this time next year.

Unlike most people in the UK, I have little regard for the NHS and the intention to charge this organisation with the sole responsibility to vaccinate the population is stupid. I am hoping plenty of vaccine will be released to private clinics to allow people who can afford to pay for the service to do so and leave the NHS out of the equation.

They are planning to sell it off privately already in India! (where they will be making the AstraZeneca one under licence)
https://www.ft.com/content/224b13fb-1d7 ... 35b30496bc
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic