'We will be the enemy': China issues stunning threat to Australia

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: 'We will be the enemy': China issues stunning threat to Australia

Post by Doc67 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:09 am
atst wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:41 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:45 am ^^^ Now, here is a valid reason for keeping up the hostilities.. >>>

Cheap lobsters on offer for Christmas tables as prices plummet due to China import ban
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2020- ... n/12949926
Must be an expensive boat to run if can't make a profit at $30 kilo? Poor fishermen I don't think so.
Very true Atts.
Just this year the WA Gov tried to introduce a scheme for just 10% of the catch to be reserved for the Australian market - at whatever price that market could bear. So australians could afford to eat a crayfish for the first time in nearly 20 years.

The tightly protected, subsidised and favoured huge-dollar lobster industry soon put a stop to that.
They figured aussies would only pay about 2/3 of what the Chinese millionaires would pay.

So for 1/3 of 10% of their huge profit margin they said - Get Stuffed Australia, but not on our lobster.

This is not just a rant at the lobster millionaires. It is a classic example of how ALL the industries who have been making this extraordinary bonanza from China prioritise their $$$ above the national interest.

"Something" needs to be done.
Problem is, all governments always tend to favour the biggest profiteers. It's just the way it goes.
How can we change that? realistically.
I don't se what all the fuss is about. Lobster is just a overgrown prawn at a very overgrown price. It's a pain in the ass to cook and messy and fiddly to eat. A whole lot of effort for sod all return. Unless you go to a restaurant and get it Thermidored, in which case you might as well order a fish pie at 1/3 of the cost.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

No sure about the export if they are live or not but I do know the Chinese like to eat them live while thier still moving on the plate.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:25 am I don't se what all the fuss is about. Lobster is just a overgrown prawn at a very overgrown price. It's a pain in the ass to cook and messy and fiddly to eat. A whole lot of effort for sod all return. Unless you go to a restaurant and get it Thermidored, in which case you might as well order a fish pie at 1/3 of the cost.
Kid in kiwiland. Dad dived for them in the dark swirling kelpy volcanic rock reefs. Cold cold cold. cleanest water in the world.
Boiled in a kerosene tin over a driftwood fire. Gobbled between two slabs of fresh brown bread. Salt, pepper and dripping kiwi butter.
Tastes best when your teeth are chattering uncontrollably and your extremities are at the painful stage just before numb. Black sand beach and Antarctic wind for atmosphere.

'Agree Doc- we'll save it till it tastes it's best.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:09 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:25 am I don't se what all the fuss is about. Lobster is just a overgrown prawn at a very overgrown price. It's a pain in the ass to cook and messy and fiddly to eat. A whole lot of effort for sod all return. Unless you go to a restaurant and get it Thermidored, in which case you might as well order a fish pie at 1/3 of the cost.
Kid in kiwiland. Dad dived for them in the dark swirling kelpy volcanic rock reefs. Cold cold cold. cleanest water in the world.
Boiled in a kerosene tin over a driftwood fire. Gobbled between two slabs of fresh brown bread. Salt, pepper and dripping kiwi butter.
Tastes best when your teeth are chattering uncontrollably and your extremities are at the painful stage just before numb. Black sand beach and Antarctic wind for atmosphere.

'Agree Doc- we'll save it till it tastes it's best.
I must admit I did enjoy it once. I was on the last day of a golf weekend in Ireland and we (mini bus full of blokes with terrible hangovers) were on the way back to the airport. We stopped for lunch at a small basic restaurant, a solitary building on the waterfront with a drab interior, long tables and bench seating. It was full of tanks that were stuffed full of lobsters. It all felt very rustic and authentic.

The menu was Lobster, clarified butter, baked potatoes, salt and pepper and Guinness or wine. It was very nice and was by by far the best it ever tasted after several previous disappointment. Freshness is key I think. However, for all the drab surroundings and simple menu, it still came to a small fortune each.

However, by the time we got to the airport the minibus stank of booze and a very fishy smell. I bet we were non too popular on the plane home either.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:01 am
Twitter declined Australia’s request to remove the tweet.

I don't know if it is technically possible but I would like to see it. If ever there was a stone cold justification for pulling content, it was this one. Maybe Twitter value Chinese approval more than Australia's right to defend itself.
In the Middle East, especially, we would frequently find ourselves disconnected from ‘social media’ VOIP type communications, and other platforms- usually, the reasons cited were about security, decency or people trafficking laws, when systems like Skype were actively blocked. UAE does so, still. More likely the real reason behind it was money- the local telecom companies want you to use their cellphone services, and they own the internet companies.

Why won’t it (blocking the likes of Twitter) happen in less oppressive, more moderate societies? Along with freedoms of speech, The audience, I suspect. So many want their 10seconds of glory; instant but fleeting gratification. Politicians need, are even greedy for the attention of this audience. This audience is unlikely to read a single column of a newspaper, and comprehend what was written. The journo writing that column is unlikely to be able to research accurately, and report the facts. Too many of the audience are unable to separate fiction from reality- observed by some newspapers providing more comprehensive write ups of the latest plot lines in soap operas than they do of major international news issues.

Many in that audience are likely among the first to be complaining about austerity in their lives (via social media) when the effects of trade issues and restrictions come to bear.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Make no mistake. Australia's trade, and economy generally, is currently the frontline in China's conflict with the West.
They have selected their target and are determinedly pressing the campaign.

imo. They know how vulnerable Oz is with it's reckless trade dependence,
and they rightly fear that Australia together with a newly invigorated Biden-led USA will become much more effective in organising a free-SEA response to their rise.

This article lists the trade attacks by China over the past few months which makes that perfectly clear.
A steady drumbeat of bans - continuing right up to yesterday and nobody expects it will end there.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-10/ ... y/12967190
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I knew China was playing silly bugger with Australia but I was unaware of several of these. Now you know how Canada feels ever since we arrested Meng at the Vancouver airport 2 years back. First they scooped 2 men off the streets and promptly accused them of bogus charges after tossing them in luxury digs (joking) with no formal charges to this day. Then they banned canola, a huge cash crop in Canada. Then it was pork. Not surprisingly the pork ban was lifted fairly soon, only because they have a serious pork shortage due to the swine flu. I wish we (both Canada and other western countries) would just cut the fuckers off, from everything they import, if only for long enough for them to be squeezed and see what it is like when the shoe is on the other foot. I am not so foolish as to believe that will ever happen because lost markets, profits blah blah blah. Not sure what the answer is or how the future will unfold but I hope Biden gives China as much grief as Trump did, probably the only useful thing he got up to during his time in office.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

johnny lightning wrote:but I hope Biden gives China as much grief as Trump did, probably the only useful thing he got up to during his time in office.
Biden’s son is a consultant in a major Chinese company for which he has no expertise. And paid millions a year.

Already speculation all those tariffs and tough talk will disappear as the media spotlight is off. Biden is already talking about going back to global relationships they way they were.

Hope I’m wrong.

I’ll be putting my tin foil hat back on, now.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

So far, every indication from Biden is exactly/mostly the direction that every SEA free country is looking for as the best American response. - (from my observations)
That attitude basically stretches from India right 'round to Japan.
The show is back on the road.

(ps, i am not taking about the broader Ch/USA conflict. This sector needs to be separated)

For a start, Biden has spoken to and about SEA concerns in the past couple of months more than Trump did in four years. approx.
There has been almost zero development of a coordinated coherent vision by anybody in the region since pre-Trump times.
Obama and Bush pretty much ignored the strategic challenge before that. but Trump was widely regarded as totally ignorant about SEA, careless of it's concerns - and possibly dangerous.

I understand your different thinking Nuke ^^ and where it stems from. But i am pretty confident it is not the majority view in the region. Probably not even in Taiwan.
Most free world asian nations seem pretty energised and hopeful for a way forward at the moment.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The latest update:

China’s deputy ambassador warns ‘it’s now a sin to be a friend of China’

China’s deputy ambassador has accused Australian politicians, the media and critics of the Chinese government of brainwashing the public about his country, claiming that it was now a sin for Australians to be friendly to the superpower.

In an appeal for greater collaboration after a tumultuous 12 months, Wang Xining told an Australia-China Business Council meeting in Canberra that a climate of suspicion, vulgar political slogans and fabricated arguments had clouded the relationship.

“Currently, the friends of China are given a nickname panda-hugger. It used to be a word of appreciation but now it carries derogatory meanings. It seems that being friendly to China, to be a friend of China becomes a sin and mistake in Australia,” he said.

“The excuse for such suspicion is China’s threats to Australian sovereignty and security, which is totally ridiculous. Because up to today no one single case has been substantiated or supported by evidence.”

Beijing launched multiple trade strikes on Australian exports last year, hitting more than $10 billion in exports across half-a-dozen industries including wine, coal and seafood after the Morrison government called for an independent inquiry into the coronavirus and criticised China’s actions in Hong Kong and Xinjiang. The embassy itself released a list of 14 grievances in November on Australian government policies, freedom of speech and human rights claims that needed to be changed in order for ministerial contact to restart.

“History will prove that it is wise and visionary to be China’s friends, and your children and grandchildren would be proud of you to be China’s friends and they will benefit from the relationship with China,” said Wang.

“Those who deliberately vilify China and sabotage the friendship between our two countries ... out of selfish interest will be cast aside in history. Their children will be ashamed of mentioning their names. ”

Full: https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/china ... 5775b.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic