Foreign Man's Body Found on the Rocks on Koh Rong Sanloem

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Foreign Man's Body Found on the Rocks on Koh Rong Sanloem

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

From the "Fort Henry Kissinger" files
(recollection of high rank State Dept personnel stationed in Cambodia 1952 - 2000)
This is a great little description of that part of the coast in 1963

Kampong Soam - Koh Kong 1963
Informal report of field trip conducted by Richard Howland CIA
as part of National Intelligence Survey of coasts and landing beaches of Indochina.

see pages 98 - 109
https://adst.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... mbodia.pdf

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

jaynewcastle wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:24 pm Were there any westerners living on the islands back in early 1990's ?
It was all still bandit country back then. I might be wrong but I don't think many foreigners even visited the islands in the 90s.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Felgerkarb wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:04 pm I have been to all of them long before they were resorts, circa 1991 and the years that followed *in full disclosure not in recent years*. Recall the Mayaquez incident? I went to Tong island and the others looking for the remains of the Marines, and interview former KR cadre that still live on those islands.
Hey F, how are they hanging?
I don't suppose you (or anyone else) have been out to Koh Pulawei?
That's my ultimate outer island goal. Those two kidney shaped little islands look like every Robinson Crusoe's dream.
I've been to Koh Tang a couple of times, and to Koh Prins.

This is my favourite so far - a tiny islet 15k SSW of Koh Prins. (Isle de Fleurs??)
Crude but fairly extensive KR era fortifications, and the centre, the main bulk of the island, appears to have ben totally shattered by a 5.000 pounder or similar.
Stunning tho.
dont miss the boat this time folks, there are still un/under populated islands to be found.
PS, a handy little tip for finding them..
Spoiler:
get off your arse. lol
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:02 am
jaynewcastle wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:24 pm Were there any westerners living on the islands back in early 1990's ?
It was all still bandit country back then. I might be wrong but I don't think many foreigners even visited the islands in the 90s.
I had an over-nighter on Koh Kong (island) in 1999.
There was no facilities whatsoever at that time. We slept with the local coconut farmers in their bamboo hut.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

LOL. would you like too again, Ute?
My bro in law has got the coconut gig on one of the beaches these days.
Still pretty raw. (thats my wife over the cooking pot)
we better hurry up and get back soon tho'
or we will be staying in a horrible 5 star villa.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:33 am
Felgerkarb wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:04 pm I have been to all of them long before they were resorts, circa 1991 and the years that followed *in full disclosure not in recent years*. Recall the Mayaquez incident? I went to Tong island and the others looking for the remains of the Marines, and interview former KR cadre that still live on those islands.
Hey F, how are they hanging?
I don't suppose you (or anyone else) have been out to Koh Pulawei?
That's my ultimate outer island goal. Those two kidney shaped little islands look like every Robinson Crusoe's dream.
I've been to Koh Tang a couple of times, and to Koh Prins.

This is my favourite so far - a tiny islet 15k SSW of Koh Prins. (Isle de Fleurs??)
Crude but fairly extensive KR era fortifications, and the centre, the main bulk of the island, appears to have ben totally shattered by a 5.000 pounder or similar.
Stunning tho.
dont miss the boat this time folks, there are still un/under populated islands to be found.
PS, a handy little tip for finding them..
Spoiler:
get off your arse. lol
You know, i really don't remember all of them any more. We went to so many by chopper and boat when there was no place to land the bird. I remember several with blown out fortifications and all trench lines that had been filled in by time.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

@jaynewcastle

No Westerners I was aware of. As stated above, in those days the civil war was still hot. We took sniper fire in SNV a few times when we were staging runs out to the various islands. Also took tracer fire a few times flying into SNV from Phnom Penh in a rickety old Mi-8 that the State of Cambodia loaned to us to get around. That got hairy.

That said, the islands in those days were very Gilligan's Island and quite lovely...if you avoided the minefields here and there.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic