Honda the test journey

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Honda the test journey

Post by AndyKK »

Sorry members I can't manage to post photographs, will try later :beer3:

This is a working and living area of many craft person, everywhere you looked there was work starting, on the go, or that of finished stone, waiting in position until ready to go to a new home, decorating the temples of their many devotes.
Pulling over and parking up the bike outside a small, what looked like that of a make do shop with the tarpaulin roof we had cold drinks from the big red cool box, served to us by a lady of the place, Nak sat herself down on one of two raised setting tables, the lady's children were playing happy near that of their mother, and my partner seemed content to be there. So, I took my bottle of cool coke, and also the opportunity of personal time for a wonder about, this kind of place had interests for me. I admire the skill of such workers, or artists, would you agree with me, saying at least they are that of skilled tradesmen. I was to take a few photos via the two smartphones I would normally carry with me, like I have mentioned previously in posts on the forum I never even had one until I moved here.

photography kit – Smartphones -

1. Vivo Y12 - Camera triple 13 MP, f/2.2, PDAF. 8 MP, f/2.2, 16mm (ultrawide) 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth), LED flash, HDR, panorama. Android 9.0 (Pie),
Funtouch 9.
2. Xperia S0-01J docomo model (Japan) Sony Xperia XZ - Camera 23 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (wide), 1/2.3", PDAF, Laser AF. LED flash, HDR, panorama
3. Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE Dual SIM – Camera 8 MP, f/2.2, 28mm (wide), 1/4.0", AF. Windows Phone 8.1, upgraded to Microsoft Windows 10.
4. Microsoft Lumia 950 Dual SIM - Camera 20 MP, f/1.9, 26mm (wide), 1/2.4", 1.12µm, AF, OIS, Zeiss optics, triple-LED RGB flash, panorama, HDR.
Microsoft Windows 10.
5. Samsung Galaxy S6 – Camera 16 MP, f/1.9, 28mm (wide), 1/2.6", 1.12µm, AF, OIS, LED flash, auto-HDR, panorama. Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop).
6. Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Camera 8 MP, f/2.6, 31mm (standard), AF. LED flash, panorama, HDR. 5.1.1 (Lollipop). (Needs new battery).
7. Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018) – Camera triple 24 MP, f/1.7, 27mm (wide), 1/2.8", 0.9µm, PDAF 8 MP, f/2.4, 18mm (ultrawide), 1/4.0", 1.12µm 5 MP,
f/2.2, (depth) LED flash, panorama, HDR. Android 10.

The Vivo Y12 is the only Smartphone that I had bought new, being that a Khmer friend has a phone shop and offered me a good discount.
The camera on each phone offer different features and shots, such has the 640lte is nice for macro, while the 950 is good at night and low light, the note 3 just has enjoyable features, the Sony is a good allrounder like the S6 and Y12 but I still don’t understand some actions of the camera. The A7 I still have not used to date.
There are like I mentioned, many individual work yards everywhere you look, it just so happened I choose this one, I was taking photos of various statues, and was also aware I was being watched too. I stopped and headed over to a group of workers, thinking it would be better if I was to ask their permission to take photographs, then wondering uninvited (trespassing or resembling that of an uninvited tourist, clicking away at stone figures like they resembled past and todays Hollywood stars. It turned out to be okay, I talked with the group for some time, there was the foreman and his girl and two apprentice workers.

They were of a pleasant group and it was a pleasure talking with them, they had lots of interesting information about the work, stone, and where it came from. But the two young men had to get on with their works of the Nager's, they had to be completed by morning, despite asking if I would like a try. The light too was fading fast, only time for a few more snaps as I would wander back towards the small shop.
Yes, the light draws in quickly in Cambodia, but I was happy with the day, with considering the disruptive start we had trying to leave the hotel that afternoon. I was also paid up for tonight and the following nights' accommodation.
We had a relaxing day next, around town and in the hotel, taking full advantage of the news channels and of cause the cool aircon.
The following day was back to the stone carvings, but first fuel for the bike on route, then I wanted to call at a place to stay run by westerners, it was not too far from where we wanted to be, but unfortunately on arrival, the place was closed, but it seemed with the gates chained and well bolted that it was more likely intended for some length of time.
Onwards too that of the next town, we sorted accommodation there for when we checked out of the other place.
We had some food at a small restaurant with no problem from the owners, it was one of those chicken places, with good tasty sausage too, inexpensive fast food, not really my cup of tea, but then again there was excellent coffee and ice cream to follow, so it may do me for a few more snack visits.
Now we were riding towards the stone carvings once more, Nak was happy to go, the lady was pleasant to talk with, also she made good country Khmer food and snacks. I was to meet the ladies' husband who was an experienced stone mason whom worked in the same yard but on it seemed that of contracted/commissioned work. The small shop turned out to be their family home themselves and four children, one thing I have not really seen here is an age gap, that being the wife older than the husband, I would have placed her in her late forties and he in his early thirties. I would spend most of the day with him, watching him work on various stones, he was using hand chisels at times, but I think with many trades now, power tools come into play, that they did when working on the lion.
Lions, or lion-dog-like beasts, are among the oldest and most common temple guardians. Lions have appeared in Buddhist temple art as early as 208 BCE.

-
When having a drink together later in the day I was to talk to him of my idea of setting some gemstones in the robe of a carved Buddha, but this intentionally was going to be of a wood carving. I had no luck up to date in finding a good piece of work, or more so at a reasonable price. Nak took out the Buddha head we had bought on the roadside.
He immediately said “it's not that of the same stone”, this I was aware of beforehand, but never the less he still took interest in what I wanted to do. I talked about what drill bits would be used, “would that of a good masonry drill bit work adequately” He replied “wait I show you” and went in the small building at the back of the tarpaulin sheeted shop, returned with a power drill, we measured together where we could set a stone, then he drilled a small hole to show me, and it was an excellent guide in being that of a pilot hole that overall would help me, then he asked what size will the stone be? I said for this possibly 5mm. He went flicking throughout a small tin box, then handing me a 5mm stone drill bit. He spoke to Nak, she replies to me with no confusion of language that he gives me the tool I need. I thanked him for the gift and the lesson, both were very appreciated.
At the end of the day finishing our drinks and bidding our goodbyes, the oldest son said unable to go the way we came due to the loading of a statue, but he would show us a way around. We followed on our moto, along sandy pathways weaving in and out of trees passing through other work areas, then it was clearer how large this place was, after a time we came out of the trees alongside the main road, thanked our young guide and was on our way back to town.
I noticed the right-side bar-end mirror flickering more than usual, remembering that is what l was starting to do, I got as far has getting the tools from my bag when I was accused of trying to leave without paying my bill.
Too late! it just fell off, I turned around looking in the headlight beam, seeing if I could see it on the side of the road or verge, being it was the righthand side. Then I spotted it just beyond an old innertube. I swerved the bike quickly realising the innertube was actually that of a banded krite, I don’t like snakes that close, and I have seen one here before, also two in Sri Lanka. Nak was angry with me for going back, looking for the mirror in the first place, she thinking the same as my thoughts that the glass would probably be broken, then again she was holding me tight for some time, so no doubt she would have been dozing, but has I stopped, picking up the mirror, thankfully it was still in one piece, more than likely because it landed on the soft verge, thankfully the snake too had gone past the verge into the scrub grass as I observed its movements, I would take a wide berth on passing again anyhow, the headlight is very good with low and high beam being bright and clear, surprisingly due to the bike not having nor this model using a battery.

When arriving back at the town's main street, instead of heading to the guest house to our left, I rode down one of the streets to the right-hand side before the bridge. I wanted to take a look at a restaurant. We found it, or rather I did, Love Cafe & Pizza and it was open, parking the bike at the entrance I ventured up to the counter wanting to look at the menu, that I was given by the American owner, the place was empty without a single customer. Well, I was hungry, and even more so for western food, as far as I was concerned the place was empty and the cool ride over here had blown the hot sticky days heat from me, I know Nak would want us to shower beforehand. But time was getting on, I turned and asked if she would like to eat. I knew the answer already, that she would refuse to eat, so I selfishly ordered for myself, starting with a cool beer. I went outside to join her having a cigarette, she said she would have a coke but still didn’t want to eat. Sometimes this happens from time to time, she likes her food, the same has I like mine too, only natural I would think. We would call at somewhere near the main street and get the food she wishes to eat before returning to the guest house for our last night's stay.
Anyhow it was not long being the single customer that my meal arrived, so time to tuck into the spaghetti and side salad, that of a, or any type of western food I was longing for. It was good too, even so it could have been even nicer if the situation, that of the uneasiness that surrounded us with covid19, and of course my personal situation, thinking on those lines was it now worthwhile pursuing the trip? I find myself in question, only wishing I had the answers.
Talking after the meal with the owner, she said if business did not pick up they would be finished by a months' time, due to the financial situation. I am glad to see looking at Google maps I see that they are still open, for the effects of the virus has undoubtedly affected many businesses, and livelihoods.
The following day was that of another, we would just lazy around, that of the daytime sun bought along hot days outside. I wanted to find out a little more of the situation to further our journey up to Seim Reap. What was the likelihood of hotel bookings, and eating at restaurants in and around the city of Seim Reap? I first contacted some Khmer photography friends that I understood were visiting the temple complex of Angkor, has it was I managed to message them has they had just left, but they had stayed with their friends or family members who live there in the area, and they too are that of Khmer, so it probably would be unlikely that of the same for my situation. I also tried the forum by the means of a thread, but what did I expect the answers to be by members posting, it was actually to be what is maybe normal being of a mixture of opinion. It may be okay, and go for it, too the opposite, don’t come, you should stay at home, you may bring the virus with you.
I needed that of a more up to date clearer situation, more than just someone with only that of a self-opinion, some answers were good, but what was I to expect. I decided that maybe the best way was to do this by direct contact, obviously with the members who visit or live in the area. I received a mixed reply of what you could call nothingness, certainly nothing of any kind of help regards the situation of the locals thought or anything of the state of the virus in and around the area. such as a few typed words, “Sorry I don’t know anything” “I can’t help you”. Did I really expect any more than this?
In a day or two we would have to make the decision what we are to do, for now it was time to get our bags partly packed just leaving a couple of things for morning to finish off before making our ride to the other hotel we had booked. On setting off, firstly riding up the road, actually looking for a roadside moto repair shop, to see if I could locate and buy that of an Alan bolt for the one lost from the mirror, it would be nice to have the same that matched. The in the shop the repair guy was rummaging around in a box, I was scanning the floor area, I found one with the right sized thread but hex head, he came across the perfect match, 1500reil the mirror now fixed back on the handlebar.
In ways it felt good again riding the bike with our bags packed placed upon the tank, riding out of town seemed that of normality and onwards, whatever our journey, at least to myself it did once more.
I recently read one of the CEO members reply to a thread, and his words, or a word I would not hear too often. “Musings” What made you want to look up musings? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible). My musing and writings on this issue do not come from the groves of academe. - Herbert S. White.
Musings, a period of reflection or thought. This being an apt word for the situation, has I pulled into the quiet Wat temple grounds, intention of talking to Nak, my partner what she thought, and also what she would prefer to do! Journey onward to the Angkor temples, or call it a day for now, and head back to the comforts of our home. It was agreed to be the latter, so apart from the ride back to Phnom Penh, this journey came to an end.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

Thank you, great photography and a nice bike. Sad how Honda and Yamaha are not competing to see who can make the silliest looking motorcycles, and that LED instrumentation instead of an analog speedometer and tachometer is just plain silly.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Robins wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:25 pm Thank you, great photography and a nice bike. Sad how Honda and Yamaha are not competing to see who can make the silliest looking motorcycles, and that LED instrumentation instead of an analog speedometer and tachometer is just plain silly.
Thank you for your interest and comments, the other Honda MSX 125cc I had done previous trips is exactly what you mention.

LED instrumentation, all-round LED to be honest. But the headlight is Chinese made, and at the time when mine had failed they had no replacement parts. I put on what I could get at the time, didn't last long because it was another Chinese part. But later we seemed to get flooded on market stalls of cheap LED replacement bulbs, that helped because if they do give up its one dollar or two, not $20+ like before. The Honda CB400 I said somewhere that it has no battery, I searched high and low because there is a model number listed for the replacement part, not finding it had me confused, later stripping the bike, I found it to be using a 12V Lithium Polymer Battery, the size a little bigger of two AA batteries.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Photos from the stone cavers yards

Two Buddha waiting for transport

Work areas with artificial and natural shade

Nager camp

Large Buddha

Different stages of work

Precession

Working on the Lion
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:18 am You should have got a rack built on the back to put your bags much more comfortable ride and I'd say a little safer
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:51 am a suggestion, Less writing , more pics :-)

Spend some money and get a set of real panniers for either side of the back wheel
Let's have a recap of the situation -
how it was and still is to be perfectly honest.

I had done, although being some time ago, and following your advices, trying that of bike panniers. Something I once used years ago on the bikes in my own country.
on thinking about the luggage situation, I actually thought I would do something quite different, having plenty of time on my hands, and more to the point, it keeps me occupied. I only have a little work to do, that involves making the tow bracelet on the 400 motorcycle. I have made two trailers, the first being the actual prototype build, and the test item. The design is single wheel all terrain trailer, with having thoughts for those long red dirt roads in the northern parts of the country, or just simply the rough road surfaces we tend to have here. I think also with the use of the trailer it keeps the luggage from actually cluttering the bike.
So, after final testing with the Honda MSX I am satisfied with the overall results. But I don't know of the legal situation.

atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Hahaha you're missus could ride in that now that's an idea
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:43 am Hahaha you're missus could ride in that now that's an idea
Hahaha, the next project that was on my mind is exactly that, it was going to be the first project but all this is new to that of my skills. Here's some pictures of the prototype, she would have kept dry too.

But it is this project that was foremost on my mind.

Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:06 pm
atst wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:18 am You should have got a rack built on the back to put your bags much more comfortable ride and I'd say a little safer
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:51 am a suggestion, Less writing , more pics :-)

Spend some money and get a set of real panniers for either side of the back wheel

I had done, although being some time ago, and following your advices, trying that of bike panniers. Something I once used years ago on the bikes in my own country.
on thinking about the luggage situation, I actually thought I would do something quite different, having plenty of time on my hands, and more to the point, it keeps me occupied. I only have a little work to do, that involves making the tow bracelet on the 400 motorcycle. I have made two trailers, the first being the actual prototype build, and the test item. The design is single wheel all terrain trailer, with having thoughts for those long red dirt roads in the northern parts of the country, or just simply the rough road surfaces we tend to have here. I think also with the use of the trailer it keeps the luggage from actually cluttering the bike.
So, after final testing with the Honda MSX I am satisfied with the overall results. But I don't know of the legal situation.

I’m not sure if a single wheel will work for an all terrain trailer? Im skeptical about the connection between the trailer (hitch?) and the assembly on the back of the bike frame. From your photos it looks as if you have an eyebolt fastened through both with locked nuts, to form a pivot, allowing clearance enough for the connection to swing laterally (side to side), which is probably fine going on nice flat paved roads, but what happens when you begin an uphill ascent, or crest a hill, or are riding into and out of the potholes you are sure to encounter?
Your hitch appears to only articulate in the one orientation but there is going to be up and down torsion on the hitch which is going to stress the connection (the rear suspension and shock on the trailer will absorb a little, but not all of that torsion)
In addition, a single wheel trailer is never going to be perfectly balanced and will want to lean to one side, and when you change direction/corner there will be even more lateral force from the trailers high centre of gravity (in relation to to hitch and wheel hub) transferred to the hitch and in time those torsion/twisting forces will cause something to fail (if the eyebolt doesn’t shear off, the SHS/box section or the bracket on the bike frame will fracture)
Edit, just spotted the second (horizontal) pivot point which would eliminate the up and down torsion :facepalm: ,however, the lateral forces would still be an issue.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

love these stories
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Chad Sexington wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:31 pm
AndyKK wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:06 pm

I’m not sure if a single wheel will work for an all terrain trailer? Im skeptical about the connection between the trailer (hitch?) and the assembly on the back of the bike frame. From your photos it looks as if you have an eyebolt fastened through both with locked nuts, to form a pivot, allowing clearance enough for the connection to swing laterally (side to side), which is probably fine going on nice flat paved roads, but what happens when you begin an uphill ascent, or crest a hill, or are riding into and out of the potholes you are sure to encounter?
Your hitch appears to only articulate in the one orientation but there is going to be up and down torsion on the hitch which is going to stress the connection (the rear suspension and shock on the trailer will absorb a little, but not all of that torsion)
In addition, a single wheel trailer is never going to be perfectly balanced and will want to lean to one side, and when you change direction/corner there will be even more lateral force from the trailers high centre of gravity (in relation to to hitch and wheel hub) transferred to the hitch and in time those torsion/twisting forces will cause something to fail (if the eyebolt doesn’t shear off, the SHS/box section or the bracket on the bike frame will fracture)
Edit, just spotted the second (horizontal) pivot point which would eliminate the up and down torsion :facepalm: ,however, the lateral forces would still be an issue.
That was the most difficult challenge of the build for me, the connection too the trailer, but I assure you that the connection moves freely in all directions.
And here is something to ease your doubt of a single wheel.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic