Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by phuketrichard »

Thailand’s Covid-19 vaccination programme will begin in May 2021, according to the Department of Disease Control (DDC)’s action plan revealed on Thursday.
The country last week signed a Bt6-billion deal to buy 26 million doses of the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine to immunise 13 million people.
The first to be called for registration will be medical staff, young children, the elderly, and vulnerable groups.Local health authorities will then summon registered participants for vaccination at health promotion hospitals or mobile health units.The vaccinations will begin in May 2021, according the DDC action plan.
A programme to monitor any adverse side effects will run from July until January 2022.
Opas confirmed that vaccination will be provided free of charge by the government. Private hospitals can source their own vaccine supply, he added.
https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399048

Have not seen anything , anywhere where we, as farangs , fit into the vaccination program.. Applies to Cambodia as well.
Will we be required to pay for it?
Will we be required to have it and if we dont get it, asked to leave?
what about the couple of million migrant workers?

Will having the vaccine allow us to travel without quarantine?
If so, i can fly back to the states, get it and return by mid Jan
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

" A programmme to monitor the side effects will run from July to January 2022". Not sure I like the sound of that.

I'd imagine as non tax paying foreigners without permanent resident status we'll be expected to pay for it privately.

That deal is for 13m out of a population of 70m. A bit to go before we are required to get it however I could see a scenario where they insist on proof of innoculation when you go to get your annual visa, wouldn't surprise me.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

We are just Underdogs, always have been!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:16 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:58 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:08 pm One would think Jomtien can survive, as the weekends you will always have locals and expats making the drive down during the high season. Although for sure not the numbers of last year. Unlike Phuket which is to dam far to drive or costly to fly for a weekend for most.

Its not just the people in the hospitality industry that will suffer. It will affect the whole of Thailand cause no tourist eating in the restaurants so thats 10,000,000 ++ less people just in the next 4 months not eating rice, fruits, bacon, eggs & chickens, hamburgers, vegetables and on and on. An think about the beers that will not be drunk to the girls that will not be bar fined and that means no money for the kids back living with mom and dad.
All the way thru the car industry, as no one will have $$ for a new one.

Disaster

Penh man, Unless one needs an abundance of bars and girls, ( and i heard there still plenty around of both on Soi Buakhao) why leave Pattaya for Bangkok? Plenty of places to eat, drink and enjoy the beach in peace
Is there still a dark side?
I retired from the night scene years ago.
unless im in town! then its Jager away! :D
:Yahoo!:
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:53 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:58 pm
I retired from the night scene years ago. And beaches are not my thing. Pattaya used to have an abundance of open restaurants. Many, many have closed. And those that are open, have curtailed hours, trimmed menus, fewer staff. And last, when in party town, who wants to go to a bar where you are the only customer, or, almost always, the staff outnumber the customers. You want to go somewhere with life and laughter. That's almost disappeared in Pattaya. Whereas, Bangkok is much livelier with a greater array of eateries, food services and pubs with actual customers enjoying a night out.
Totally get where your coming from with that ExPenhMan, at least you gave it a go and assessed the situation first hand for yourself. I rarely bother going out at night these days as the darkness tends to emphasise the sense of emptiness, to be honest I find it a bit depressing at night, at least daytime there's a little more activity along the beach stretch but that's not saying much. I just walked round the corner to the Foodmart and at 7.30pm there was no-one around except 4 people already sleeping rough with zero belongings on the forecourt of the bank, a very common sight around town now not previously seen. The supermarket would normally be really busy this time of year with new arrivals stocking up, there was 3 other customers and the till girls were sitting there looking bored.

Good luck with the Bangkok apartment hunt, I'll drop you a PM for a beer meet up next time I'm up there. It's only the ongoing protests that have kind of put me off doing a few days trip. :thumb:
Darkness sure does emphasize the sense of emptiness on the Pattaya side, too. Even in the daytime, the feeling of emptiness in the back sois and main roads (and empty baht buses!) is still overwhelming. Sad days now and even sadder days ahead, I think.

Cowshed Cowboy, I will catch up with you after this weekend. I don't expect to move till later this month. We haven't had a beerski in a few weeks. :beer3:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:09 pm " A programmme to monitor the side effects will run from July to January 2022". Not sure I like the sound of that.

I'd imagine as non tax paying foreigners without permanent resident status we'll be expected to pay for it privately.

That deal is for 13m out of a population of 70m. A bit to go before we are required to get it however I could see a scenario where they insist on proof of innoculation when you go to get your annual visa, wouldn't surprise me.
makes sense, start giving it in May, 2nd injection 3 weeks later sop june, follow up starting in July.

Always assumed we as expats would need to pay but...
Opas confirmed that vaccination will be provided free of charge by the government. Private hospitals can source their own vaccine supply, he added.
So, say Bangkok Phuket would need source its own supplies, yet i would venture to guess most supplies are spoken for by countries needing it for their population, so where does that leave private hospitals?

Also, Legal migrants ( those on L-A visas's) are on the same health care as thai's, ( and expat that have a wp) so would guess than, they will get in in line with the thai's

so many questions,

I can imagine, international travel;

Roll up 3-4 hours before departure
*Mandatory test..results in 30 minutes, or need show pre test from dr or clinic within 72 hours
*optional vaccine, ( but this would only work with the one shot vaccine )
*IF already have the vaccine, your not required to provide pre test or be tested.

2021 is going to be interesting
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

^ You considering doing international travel Richard in 2021 ? Looking at where we are now, the logistical timescale of vaccine roll out highlighted, potential setbacks etc, timing of quarantine abolition, insurance requirements, gear up and full scale restart of the global airline industry, my own feeling is I will still avoid it in 2021 for anything other than a family emergency. Hopefully 2022 will see a return to more or less normality travel wise.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'd assume in Thailand's two-tiered system, private hospitals will eventually be able to purchase one of the vaccines and make money from it. Just how long this will take is anyone's guess - if you urgently need or want to get vaccinated as an expat, that might not happen. Then again, when Covid tests were a scarce resource, you had no problem getting one done at a private hospital - at an inflated price, of course. The same might happen with vaccines.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:54 am ^ You considering doing international travel Richard in 2021 ? Looking at where we are now, the logistical timescale of vaccine roll out highlighted, potential setbacks etc, timing of quarantine abolition, insurance requirements, gear up and full scale restart of the global airline industry, my own feeling is I will still avoid it in 2021 for anything other than a family emergency. Hopefully 2022 will see a return to more or less normality travel wise.
Yep; got places I need to visit in Burma for customers. I also have a tentative job in HK but need to be able to travel there and back
PLUS, we had planned on moving to Kep last june, so as soon as we can plan on heading over
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:09 pm " A programmme to monitor the side effects will run from July to January 2022". Not sure I like the sound of that.

And what constitutes proof? Passport stamp? Empty packet that the vaccine came in? Doctors note? Minefield in itself and very time consuming for any sort of international agreement.

There will be a lot of uncertainty about whether your vaccination is recognised by other governments. Will, for example, Thailand except a UK administered and documented vaccination? Will it be all the authorised UK vaccines (there is likely to be at least 3), even if one or more of them them is not (yet) recognised by Thai authorities?

Will Thailand except any sort of proof from a clinic in Phnom Penh of a Chinese national with the Chinese vaccine that Thailand has not authorised for use (or even seen)? This is a long way down the road but this issue will come up.

Will countries/regions recognise a Chinese vaccine and their 'proof'? Will China recognise and accept the US and European Vaccines if the US and Europe don't reciprocate and recognise the Chinese ones at face value? Are the Chinese even trying for global accreditation and supplying all data? Want a Chinese visa? Get a Chinese vaccine - there's a scary prospect.

Countries and regions will be wrangling about this for a long time. Their priority at the moment is to avert the health crisis, not the tourism crisis.

2022 for relatively easier travel but I can't see 2021 as much improved. And I was always an optimist.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic