Internet in Kampot

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
beet
Tourist
Australia

Internet in Kampot

Post by beet »

Can anyone advise on what I should expect re: pricing and options for getting the internet connected to some kind of apartment in Kampot town?

Ideally I'd be after 2Mbps+ fiber, but any other options are worth considering. No particular upper limit on budget. I've had a look at a few ISPs, but actual offerings are hard to work out and there's almost no pricing listed. Haven't contacted any of them yet.

Pretty envious of 4G LTE being available in Phnom Penh now, but not sure I want to live there. Kampot is really nice in comparison.

Not looking to act on this for another couple of months, but any information is going to be useful.

Thanks.
indigo_design
Expatriate

Re: Internet in Kampot

Post by indigo_design »

Some ideas on pricing with Metfone

ADSL - http://www.metfone.com.kh/en/Services/I ... DSL.9.aspx

Fibre optic - http://www.metfone.com.kh/en/Services/I ... TH.10.aspx

If you're only looking at 2Mb down speed then not really worth paying the extra for Fibre Optic IMHO

Make sure they will connect to your new place before you sign a lease
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

If up speed is important to you you might want to have the guarantee up speed demonstrated/proven before paying. Not sure how you'd do this with the local companies.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
beet
Tourist
Australia

Post by beet »

indigo_design wrote:Some ideas on pricing with Metfone

ADSL - http://www.metfone.com.kh/en/Services/I ... DSL.9.aspx

Fibre optic - http://www.metfone.com.kh/en/Services/I ... TH.10.aspx
Thanks. Do you know if they service Kampot? Can't find anything concrete about service areas. If they did, that would be perfect. Happy to pay $65/m for 6Mbps fiber, or whatever. Was working off 2Mbps as the theoretical minimum we could cope with (web developer here).
StroppyChops wrote:If up speed is important to you you might want to have the guarantee up speed demonstrated/proven before paying. Not sure how you'd do this with the local companies.
Coming from Australia, upstream speeds are not so important, I get 22Mbps down / 1Mbps up here and make do. Was thinking fiber vs adsl just because I've seen a lot more providers & the providers which advertise adsl look a bit sketchy. Also dealing with phone lines etc in a foreign country doesn't sound fun.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

beet wrote:Also dealing with phone lines etc in a foreign country doesn't sound fun.
ADSL is run on dedicated lines here, beet.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

great info guys!
beet
Tourist
Australia

Post by beet »

StroppyChops wrote:
beet wrote:Also dealing with phone lines etc in a foreign country doesn't sound fun.
ADSL is run on dedicated lines here, beet.
That makes it a bit less intimidating, cheers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic