Suspicious Minds

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Suspicious Minds

Post by frank lee bent »

i thought the serial killer lives on koh rong?
Secret Squirrel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Secret Squirrel »

Jacket wrote:The thing that bothers me about conspiracy theories or more importantly conspiracy theorists is that most of the times they have a sever confirmation bias and that they tend to go with their gut feeling rather than with any actual evidence. On top of that they are just so closed minded. They often put themselves on this pedestal as shining examples of skepticism and critical thought, whilst unskeptically and uncritically believing any old nonsense that they read on the internet because it kind of fits their narrative. I used to be a 9/11 truther until I was completely honest with myself, forgot about my preconceived notions, hit the reset button and tried to reassess the evidence that was put forward from all parties and lo and behold I had a change of mind. Conspiracy theorists have a tendency to think that they are special and that everybody except for the people who share their point of view is somehow deluded, blind, stupid or actually part of the conspiracy. I'm not accusing anybody on this forum to actually be like this, but I've ran into enough conspiracy nuts, in RL as well as online, that I can speak from experience when I say these things.

The thing is this. Throughout history there have been real conspiracies and there were conspiracy theories that turned out to be true. But some people just take it too far and see the hands of the Illuminati or the Jews or the Freemasons or who the fuck ever behind EVERYTHING that happens. That just smacks of paranoia in my opinion.

Sucking up every word that comes out of the mouths of people such as Alex Jones or David Icke just because they disagree with the mainstream media has nothing to do with critical thinking.
An eloquent contribution!
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Jacket wrote:The thing that bothers me about conspiracy theories or more importantly conspiracy theorists is that most of the times they have a sever confirmation bias and that they tend to go with their gut feeling rather than with any actual evidence. On top of that they are just so closed minded. They often put themselves on this pedestal as shining examples of skepticism and critical thought, whilst unskeptically and uncritically believing any old nonsense that they read on the internet because it kind of fits their narrative. I used to be a 9/11 truther until I was completely honest with myself, forgot about my preconceived notions, hit the reset button and tried to reassess the evidence that was put forward from all parties and lo and behold I had a change of mind. Conspiracy theorists have a tendency to think that they are special and that everybody except for the people who share their point of view is somehow deluded, blind, stupid or actually part of the conspiracy. I'm not accusing anybody on this forum to actually be like this, but I've ran into enough conspiracy nuts, in RL as well as online, that I can speak from experience when I say these things.

The thing is this. Throughout history there have been real conspiracies and there were conspiracy theories that turned out to be true. But some people just take it too far and see the hands of the Illuminati or the Jews or the Freemasons or who the fuck ever behind EVERYTHING that happens. That just smacks of paranoia in my opinion.

Sucking up every word that comes out of the mouths of people such as Alex Jones or David Icke just because they disagree with the mainstream media has nothing to do with critical thinking.
This is my attitude too. Excellent post! Image Image
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i am a coincidence theorist, it is so much more meaningless.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic