I know booze is cheap there but...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
snookie BRO
Expatriate
Solomon Islands

Re: I know booze is cheap there but...

Post by snookie BRO »

OrangeDragon wrote:just don't isolate.

throw away the heads and the tails, then make sure the rest is all mixed in one bottle before being doled out individually. the antidote for methanol is ethanol. the reason people tend to make whole bottles of methanol is that they bottle right off of the still.
Sounds about right, using cheaper yeasts you will be best to throw away heads and tails, but with the new types of yeast you dont even have to cos the methanol and other stuff is so low that you can use a carbon filter to do the rest.

The trace amounts of Methanol mixed with the whole is usually safe enough. As you say, problems occur when people isolate, and dont mix. Methanol is the first thing that gets distilled out so the heads is full of it with cheaper yeasts.
Rider of the storm.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

snookie BRO wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:just don't isolate.

throw away the heads and the tails, then make sure the rest is all mixed in one bottle before being doled out individually. the antidote for methanol is ethanol. the reason people tend to make whole bottles of methanol is that they bottle right off of the still.
Sounds about right, using cheaper yeasts you will be best to throw away heads and tails, but with the new types of yeast you dont even have to cos the methanol and other stuff is so low that you can use a carbon filter to do the rest.

The trace amounts of Methanol mixed with the whole is usually safe enough. As you say, problems occur when people isolate, and dont mix. Methanol is the first thing that gets distilled out so the heads is full of it with cheaper yeasts.
Yeah, my experience is in making absinthe, where you're actually distilling already made wines so they're fermented with their own natural yeasts (meaning no real control over methanol production). You're also steeping it in a lot of herbs which lend essential oils and can really muddle the heads and tails significantly. Best to just toss them.

The problem with filtering out fusel oils is that you're pulling some of the unique characteristics out as well... depending on the complexity of flavors you're looking for. In small amounts they are a big part of what can make individual distillations stand out from one another.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

heads and tails make a pretty good glass cleaner.

the khmer don't use thermometers so they can't tell when the main run starts.

that is why many die from srasor
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

What's a fusel? Is it like a stuns'l?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

another name for congenors which are deadly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusel_alcohol

teh price of sugar is nearly equal to the price of srasor.

i would rectify that through a reflux head.
here are some pro quality ones that are very inexpensive:

http://www.amphora-society.com/PDA-2-Di ... _40-1.html

seems to be legal commercially with no formalities at artisanal scale in Cambodia.

UN FAO has done some extension work as micro finance partners locally.

the essences commercial distillers use are readily available- the best come from grasse in france- the famous perfume town.

it is not difficult to turn out a quality vodka or rum.

i thought about doing it as a business at one point.
Dermadone223344
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dermadone223344 »

:shock:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic