Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Where to by new Dell notebooks

Post by IraHayes »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:00 pm
IraHayes wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:51 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:33 am PTC Computer stock Dells according to their website. They have a few branches with head office near Sorya Mall shopping centre.

https://ptc-computer.com.kh/
A little story that was told to me by a guy I used to work with a few years ago. Nice guy, genuine ex-military, and he moved to Vietnam to teach there last I heard.

Anyway, some of the details maybe slightly off but the general story is solid and I'll do a TL;DR at the bottom.

Guy goes to the head office of PTC and purchases a branded laptop. It was a Dell but might have been another equally big named brand (long time ago and a minor detail as you will see)
He asks all the right questions and checks if it as all genuine OS etc. Pays cash and goes home. Unboxes and once he is up and running he discovers that it has a pirated version of windows installed. So he goes back to the store and points this out to the staff who by all accounts were pretty useless and not very helpful. He leaves the laptop with them on the understanding they will install a genuine copy of windows and he will come back in a few days to collect it.
A few days later and nothing has been done.
Now remember it is a major brand and will have been sold under license. Well he emailed the brand area head office in Singapore and told them exactly what is happening and gave them all the product details.. serial numbers, and the company sales receipt with their business details on it.
He got a very nice email back explaining some head lady will be in PP the next day and would he be able to meet her at the shop he bought it at.
So off he goes and by this time all he wanted was his money back tbh as he was pretty pissed off with them.

He meets the lady and the store owner/manager (could have been owners son) and got he was handed his laptop, with a genuine copy of windows installed and a full refund.

So basically for being fucked around by a bunch of dicks he got a bigger dick to put them in their place and for that he got the laptop he wanted for free.

TL;DR
PTC tried to fuck a guy over with a pirated Windows OS on a new laptop. He got the laptop manufacturer involved and made them eat humble pie.
Hard to believe. Anything costing more than 1000r will be unpacked and switched on in front of you to proof it's working, I've never been given a sealed box in 11 years in Cambodia.
As I said the general story is correct and let's not forget it was told as it was happening over coffee breaks a few years ago. So I got a sorta of running account of the purchase and him finding out it had a pirate OS.. then the returning it to fix it bit.. then we got a final outcome big finale when he got it all sorted plus his full refund ... ergo a free laptop.
It was only when he tried to using windows update feature that he found out it had a pirated OS.
Charng
Tourist
Australia

Post by Charng »

Many thanks all for your suggestions. And the story about the pirated software gives some hope that things can be better =)

I decided against going with Chantra. I had proceeded to order a notebook that was priced a good 10% lower than Beckie Deals but upon learning that they "open" and "check" the product before the customer pickup, I was quite skeptical. Added to this, most of their products that I had enquired about were not in stock, even when their website says so. I have actually gone into the store.. And a few other stores too.

So, I went with Beckie Deals. At first I was shown a "new", un-opened notebook box. But close inspection showed finger prints etc. I actually checked serial numbers etc against Dell's website. It had probably been sitting around and "viewed" by several customers for several months already - my guess. So we insisted on a new box. This time the box looked fresh and the check with Dell indicated it was a recent shipment. Since I am an IT professional with decent experience and knowledge of these things I was able to check that it was highly probable that this was a new notebook and spec'd as advertised. (Don't get me started about some stores that have misleading advertising... )

Cheers.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Charng wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:29 am Many thanks all for your suggestions. And the story about the pirated software gives some hope that things can be better =)

I decided against going with Chantra. I had proceeded to order a notebook that was priced a good 10% lower than Beckie Deals but upon learning that they "open" and "check" the product before the customer pickup, I was quite skeptical. Added to this, most of their products that I had enquired about were not in stock, even when their website says so. I have actually gone into the store.. And a few other stores too.
I think that's a fake story, If they 'open up' and 'check' before your arrival and you don't arrive they end up with what they consider a 'not new laptop'. They will open up and check in front of you.
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by rockyboy612 »

ANANA Computer - at norodom boulevard next to KFC, you can't go wrong with Dell Latitude Laptops... Felt overpriced compared to other shops but they put their money where their mouth is when it comes with warranty. It was generally painless, nice to have if you gonna stay here long enough.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic