Embassy interview is coming

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daisukeumon
Tourist
United States of America

Re: Embassy interview is coming

Post by daisukeumon »

Khmu Nation wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:52 am Why would you want to go and live in that failed state anyway?
Being from the USA, living here right and being stuck because of the out of control pandemic, not being able to go back.

I completely agree.

On a more serious note. Well that was serious. But you know. I was once married to a Cambodian once. She only had 2 interviews, I didn't even go to any of them. I just went and dropped her off at the US Embassy.

Only 1 of which entailed confirming paperwork, we are who are, this are our parents etc here the documents, birth certificate etc.

So how does it happen that people get 2 or 3 interviews of questions of a personal nature and a "grilling" of sorts. Dang she was on only in there for about 30 minutes.
daisukeumon
Tourist
United States of America

Post by daisukeumon »

Why are you even bringing her now. It's not safe, and our economy is racked for years to come. She can't wait a year? There is a concern we may have a food shortage, massive unemployment. I'm actually surprised the economy here hasnt been more worse. I do see a lot more people helping each other, instead of fending for the themselves. Then also you would be bringing her to a pretty damn racist place at the moment.

I've already told the Ms., see you in 2022.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I do understand why they have to screen people wanting to live in a country but there's always been a part of me that finds it all a bit of an injustice.

If I happen to fall in love with a foreigner in a foreign land and we want to set up home in my own country, the country I was born, the country I call home, the country I am a citizen of and have contributed massively towards through my taxes and other economic activities, why should some jumped up little busybody in a suit tell me I can't?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

All interesting and valid points.

But... Last was with missus in January. I miss her terribly.

If someone is happy to ‘wait’ to see their better half until 2022, is that really a Mrs. to them? Or a munchie?

The US is far from a failed state. Mass media and social media does a really good job of making things larger and worse than they really seem. Plus I’ve got a stock of food that’s edible for ten years, and heirloom seeds beyond that. No social justice warrior is going to be taking anything away from me. If need be, the Python will reason with them.

Masks and social distancing. Plus if both of us walk around like this..
... zero chance of getting the virus.
The US will be the first country (or one of the first) to be vaccinated, with 70% coverage by next May. After vaccination, we should be free to return to the Kingdom of Wonder again.

It’s bad in the US, but where is it good? Stimulus and a moratorium on evictions has kept many people afloat. More stimulus is being discussed. As we head into Thanksgiving, thousands of free turkeys and turkey dinners are being handed out. Can the same be said for other parts of the world?

A US citizen has the right to bring their spouse to the US. The screen is to make sure that it’s really love, and that the sponsor really can support their spouse. Loads of people have come to take advantage of the rich benefits. Grandma and grandpa get sponsored and become automatic Medicare beneficiaries. Etc. Fake marriages. Lots of that from the Kingdom of Wonder. Seen it with my own eyes.

I’m getting the ultimate Black Friday gift. A US Embassy visa on missus’ passport. And the ultimate Christmas gift. Missus arrives a week before Santa.

Thanks for all the well wishes. And be safe everyone.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

You’re a man of contradictions NK.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

....A US citizen has the right to bring their spouse to the US
Please show me where it says that, ( it is most certainly NOT in the bill of rights)

Not failed but as close as one could get, the country is divided worse than its been since the civil war, the economy is in a free fall, ( although to be truthful the rich have made tons of $$ over the past 10 months) food-lines, reminiscent of the 30's, a failed health care system, people out of work, job lost to cheaper overseas workers ....etc etc
and the worst rate of infection and deaths from covid worldwide
....The current 7-day rolling average of 170,856 new cases/day grew 48.4% from 14 days ago, while the average of 1,511 deaths/day grew 46.7%, at that rate..
https://covidusa.net/

Joe will inherit so many problems

Look i am proud and glad i am american, but fuck, the country i grew up in, is not what it is now..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:28 am
Mass media and social media does a really good job of making things larger and worse than they really seem.

I’ve got a stock of food that’s edible for ten years,
and heirloom seeds beyond that.
No social justice warrior is going to be taking anything away from me.
If need be, the (Colt) Python will reason with them.
LOL,
'not sure your version is all that much more reassuring, Nuke
:)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

phuketrichard wrote:
....A US citizen has the right to bring their spouse to the US
Please show me where it says that, ( it is most certainly NOT in the bill of rights)

Ummm... Bill of Rights doesn’t say Medicare or Social Security, or highways, either.

Anyways the immigration attorney basically said that.

There is an entire process to bring one’s spouse.
Starting from here.

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-of- ... -residents

However it IS qualified with 1) is it a legitimate relationship and 2) can demonstrate that you can support your spouse and 3) your spouse isn’t a criminal. They can and DO reject if they suspect all 3 qualifications aren’t being met.

The US is a mess right now, true. But much of the world is a mess right now. In the US, I don’t need to worry every day about what’s happening to her half a world away. Plus, it’s the mess I know. Where I live, there are no riots, no looting, no chaos. Everyone helps out and contributes what they can.

War or worsening relations could break out at any time in SE Asia or the pacific. If that happens, travel and communication links may be cut. I can’t predict the future. I can only control the now.

Thank you everyone for all your concerns.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic