A new Khmer440 member the Venerable Nanda

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A new K440 member the Venerable Nanda

Post by Joon »

StroppyChops wrote:
Joon wrote:That's hardly proselytism.
So what's the line, and is it different depending on how much you like a given religion?
The line is when someone is telling me that my soul will be damned unless I accept/embrace their religion in my life.

I would have no problem for a Christian person posting a link to their Facebook page that is about community projects that are not conditioned by faith, or a Muslim person posting a link to a Facebook page about the activities of their Muslim community.

I also would have no problem with a Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, Pagan explaining to me their beliefs, without trying to convince me that it is the "right" beliefs and demeaning other beliefs.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Joon wrote:I would have no problem for a Christian person posting a link to their Facebook page that is about community projects that are not conditioned by faith, or a Muslim person posting a link to a Facebook page about the activities of their Muslim community.
Heading out to dinner, but this distinction intrigues me...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Joon wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
So what's the line, and is it different depending on how much you like a given religion?
The line is when someone is telling me that my soul will be damned unless I accept/embrace their religion in my life.

I would have no problem for a Christian person posting a link to their Facebook page that is about community projects that are not conditioned by faith, or a Muslim person posting a link to a Facebook page about the activities of their Muslim community.

I also would have no problem with a Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, Pagan explaining to me their beliefs, without trying to convince me that it is the "right" beliefs and demeaning other beliefs.
The (Paulian parts of the) Bible instruct people to go out and spread the word. So to say that you are against religious people who try to spread the word is another way of saying you are against Christian practice and would treat them differently as a result.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

Interesting, I like to learn about other peoples beliefs and thoughts but I would never seek to destroy or condemn their beliefs, as they differ from mine. If you remove some ones belief then what do they do when they need it?

To try to do this, is in my humble opinion, one of the worst things people can do, to another.

A little more tolerance and understanding and we would all get on a whole load better, on forums, in our beliefs (Organised or not) in our life in general.

:thumb:
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

LTO wrote:
Joon wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:

The (Paulian parts of the) Bible instruct people to go out and spread the word. So to say that you are against religious people who try to spread the word is another way of saying you are against Christian practice and would treat them differently as a result.
Spread the word or indoctrinate?
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Venerable Nanda might not appear again but his short introduction has made for quite an entertaining read on both forums from lots of different on/off topic issues. Interesting how some smallish posts snowball. :thumb:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

LTO wrote:
Joon wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:

True beliefs are developed internally, businesses are grown. Religions become, by their nature, vertical structures. Vertical structures develop costs, the higher the structure the more the cost. The more higher levels and people occupying them, the more money needs to be generated at the bottom. Two basic ways to do this:

1. Each 'Customer' pays more

and or

2. More 'Customers'

Sorry, is this sounding a little to commercial?

:pardon:
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

EdinWigan wrote:True beliefs are developed internally, businesses are grown. Religions become, by their nature, vertical structures. Vertical structures develop costs, the higher the structure the more the cost. The more higher levels and people occupying them, the more money needs to be generated at the bottom. Two basic ways to do this:

1. Each 'Customer' pays more

and or

2. More 'Customers'

Sorry, is this sounding a little to commercial?

:pardon:
Cynical and very possibly an accurate description.
EdinWigan wrote:Interesting, I like to learn about other peoples beliefs and thoughts but I would never seek to destroy or condemn their beliefs, as they differ from mine. If you remove some ones belief then what do they do when they need it?

To try to do this, is in my humble opinion, one of the worst things people can do, to another.

A little more tolerance and understanding and we would all get on a whole load better, on forums, in our beliefs (Organised or not) in our life in general.

:thumb:
I'm not a Christian, don't really like evangelical types, and generally lean your side here, but if I actually believed that I know some vital, life-saving truth that you don't, whether that truth be something like 'you are unknowingly eating a poisonous substance,' 'you are about to step off a cliff that you didn't notice, ' or 'you a behaving in a way that will damn your eternal soul to Hell', I would see it as my duty and responsibility to inform you of the danger and disabuse you of beliefs that might lead you continue these self-harming practices/actions. As you approached that cliff edge, strolling gleeful unaware of your impending doom, or perhaps even deluded enough to believe your are not in peril, I would be morally remiss, even culpable, if I failed to warn you and/or try to stop you.
Last edited by LTO on Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Post by Kampong Spooner »

Christianity is pretty retarded tho, IMHO. As for white dudes in saffron robes.... well each to their own.
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

LTO, good point with which I totally agree. There is though a line between decrying someone belief, in favour of your own and the preservation of life (which is seen across the widest spectrum of 'Religious' books etc...)

I guess it comes down to the difference between discussion and decrying but as I say, good point
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic