7-11 Coming Soon

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: 7-11 Coming Soon

Post by phuketrichard »

Have I missed something?
Milk, yogurt drinks, batteries, ice cream, hot & cold coffee,

No matter if ya hate them or love them, they are great on road trips!!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:32 am Yes, exactly - 7-11s don't have the same target market as Thai Huot etc. They don't sell what you need for a functioning kitchen at home, such as meat, vegetables etc.
My impression of a 7-11 is one aisle of sugary snacks, one aisle of sugary drinks, one aisle of whitening creams, some bags of overpriced nuts, fridges full of beer and more sugary drinks. Cigs and wines and spirits behind the counter. Condoms and KY gels by the cashier. Machines dispensing ice cold sugary drinks. Very good aircon. Door going ding-dong every five seconds. Have I missed something?
The first thing that comes to mind is drinking water and milk which are notably cheaper. There are toiletries and pens and schoolbooks and stuff too.

Part of 7-11's business model is their prevalence, meaning that people don't have to travel as far to get some stuff, no matter what it is. This in itself should generate competition.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:18 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:49 am I didn't come to Cambodia to shop in artificial plastic environments and buy highly manufactured food in stores i don't even use in the west.
I do, occasionally, but always kick myself for being too lazy to avail myself of much better local food and buying from much nicer little old Cambodian ladies - or whoever..

But i guess if this crap is a major part of your diet, 'may as well go to the pro's.
I always think of that rancid fat on reconstituted potato mash overloaded with salt and god knows what and it turns my gut before i walk in the door.

:)
That's just my take away from all those 7/11 knock-offs.
A copy of the worst from the west.
i dont see anybody forcing you to shop in them.

They are A convenience store, cause that what they offer, convenience, when you dont need to visit a full supermarket, but only need a few things.

We have 9 of them in little kamala an they are great for popping in for a few things . I doubt many people make a habit out of eating the pre prepared foods offered in them
Exactly, I think a lot of people are missing the point of what 7-11 offers. They are not trying to compete with Thai Huot/Bayon/Lucky (although they will reduce their market share). You are not going to go to 7-11 to buy pate & foie gras. You may go for some water, coffee, beers & snacks, with the occasional hot food buy.

They are competing with the Circle K/Panda/Kiwi marts etc and will win hands down. Just for the fact you can go in and know roughly how much it will cost you. Even a 1.5l water can vary between 50c - $1 for the same brand. In Thailand, I know that no matter what 7-11 store I go into, it will cost me X baht.

When travelling, 7-11/ family mart are great
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Pencil were a great supermarket when they first opened (10 - 12 years ??) but then headed downhill badly.
Last time i tried, 4 or 5 years ago, the shelves were half stocked, 3/4 of the lights were off and nobody had dusted the place for yonks. T
Any recent reports?

Thai Huot has always been my favourite.
It carries a wisp of the spirit from those old Chinese emporiums in Indonesia in the 70's. My first "supermarket" experience in the East.
And they sometimes stock Bee and Flower Brand /Sandalwood flavoured soap. It doesn't get better than that.

(apologies if i went a bit too hard on the 7/11s. I was making a point.
i ain't no saint myself in both food and shopping)
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

The text says opening soon...

Also Big C opening their Phnom Penh store end of this year.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:47 am
They are competing with the Circle K/Panda/Kiwi marts etc and will win hands down. Just for the fact you can go in and know roughly how much it will cost you. Even a 1.5l water can vary between 50c - $1 for the same brand. In Thailand, I know that no matter what 7-11 store I go into, it will cost me X baht.

Not every 7-11 has same prices..many items have but NOT all. I remember 7-11 in Samui had a markup on general pricing. Airport outlet BKK too.

When travelling, 7-11/ family mart are great

Thats very true. Especially on long range bustrips the 7-11 at the gas station is very welcome.
work is for people who cant find truffles
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

truffledog wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:34 pm Airport outlet BKK too.
Airport shops are always extortionate. High rents too.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

truffledog wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:34 pm

Not every 7-11 has same prices..many items have but NOT all. I remember 7-11 in Samui had a markup on general pricing. Airport outlet BKK too.
Yes that's true, although all of the 7/11 on samui will be the same price as each other, etc
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:39 pm
truffledog wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:34 pm Airport outlet BKK too.
Airport shops are always extortionate. High rents too.
its located outside the expensive areas between terminal 1 and 2..sure more rent but not THAT much more i guess than premium locations elsewhere in BKK. Just cashing in on the "willigness to pay" pricing method.
work is for people who cant find truffles
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Bangkok 7-11 is my Southeast Asia Mecca so I would hope it could come to be a street corner business in PP some day.
:thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic