UK News, Updates and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
covidsux
Expatriate
Bahamas

Re: UK News, Updates and Discussion

Post by covidsux »

hburns wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:21 am The second wave in Britain and in much of Europe began with increased infections amongst the young and spread to the older and more vulnerable groups. Everyone has been told to wear a mask to reduce infections among everyone. Are you trying to say that old people don't wear them or are you saying that only old people should be wearing them?
I wrote: Would a mask mandate and other measures have worked if applied solely to vulnerable groups?

I think it's pretty clear to most people that I was referring to conditions before, when this all started. Past. Not now. Initial reaction and plan.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

covidsux wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:59 am
hburns wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:21 am The second wave in Britain and in much of Europe began with increased infections amongst the young and spread to the older and more vulnerable groups. Everyone has been told to wear a mask to reduce infections among everyone. Are you trying to say that old people don't wear them or are you saying that only old people should be wearing them?
I wrote: Would a mask mandate and other measures have worked if applied solely to vulnerable groups?

I think it's pretty clear to most people that I was referring to conditions before, when this all started. Past. Not now. Initial reaction and plan.
It would be clear to say all should be wearing a mask, apart from exceptions of those who have a medical condition that may prevent them from doing so. I have seen in Phnom Penh since the incident involving the PM an increase of Cambodian people wearing masks, but on the other hand a decrease in western and Chinese people wearing them.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

covidsux wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:38 am
DaveG wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:57 am over 500 dead today alone and here we go again " fuckin Christmas" they should just cancel it this year and be done with it 😖😖😖
What is the normal daily death rate for November in the UK? (I did Google it, but couldn't find anything)
It is usually indicated by a percentage per 100,000 inhabitants, there are massive regional differences with the North taking a bigger hit, London surprisingly has no or little change in overall death rates, I think UK wide it's standing at about 70 thousand excess deaths so far this year, that may increase as winter has only just started

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-54976362

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4500
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

They ain't to keen on this lockdown thing in blighty
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

DaveG wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:56 am
covidsux wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:38 am
DaveG wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:57 am over 500 dead today alone and here we go again " fuckin Christmas" they should just cancel it this year and be done with it 😖😖😖
What is the normal daily death rate for November in the UK? (I did Google it, but couldn't find anything)
It is usually indicated by a percentage per 100,000 inhabitants, there are massive regional differences with the North taking a bigger hit, London surprisingly has no or little change in overall death rates, I think UK wide it's standing at about 70 thousand excess deaths so far this year, that may increase as winter has only just started

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4500

Chris Giles (FT) is a good one to follow on Twitter, releases a chart every month or so tracking the excess deaths

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

DaveG wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:50 pm

They've just moved all the violence from after the pubs shut to the daytime.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:38 am
DaveG wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:50 pm

They've just moved all the violence from after the pubs shut to the daytime.
Just another day in Basildon
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

PM: 'Vast majority' of vulnerable people could get COVID vaccine by Easter

Boris Johnson has suggested the "vast majority" of people most vulnerable to coronavirus could be vaccinated against the disease by Easter.

The prime minister, speaking at a Downing Street news conference, said this "would make a very substantial change" to how the UK is able to manage COVID-19.

Given that 60% of the current deaths are of the over 80's and the bulk of the remaining deaths are in the 60+ range, once this group in vaccinated and the deaths drop off, the UK can start treating this as nothing more than, at worst, very bad flu. Once the NHS is no longer under threat of being overwhelmed with dying geriatrics the crisis phase is over. Possible by as early as summer.

As the vaccination programme rolls out and the infection rate drops this whole sorry episode could be well on the way to be out of our lives.

As for the anti-vaxxers, once people have stopped dying, the NHS is not under threat and all those over 50 are protected, nobody in the government will care very much about someone who gets Covid-19. Some will have a rough week or so, a tiny fraction may need some hospital treatment but most will just brush it off.

And if one of those people who refused to be vaccinated gets sick, people will just think they are idiots and got what they deserved. This whole anti-vaxxer movement will become a non event. Nobody will care about them. Once the deaths stop the government panic will stop.

Things are looking up.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Latest: 50m ago 13:12
This is useful – a map showing which parts of England are in which tiers.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

I get to enjoy Tier 3 by traveling to a Tier 2 county to work. It's a bloody joke!! I could easily travel from Tier 3 (closed pubs) to Tier 2 to enjoy a pint or two (open pubs). Never seen anything so daft in my life. :facepalm:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic