A promised land

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

A promised land

Post by phuketrichard »

is available for reading, supposed to be quite good

for kindles

http://library.lol/main/A088717E2C3CB5D ... 736B5E77CE

Left click GET and download....

Review
https://www.oprahmag.com/entertainment/ ... nd-review/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: A promised land

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I am no big fan. (disappointing, generally)
but i really liked his speech on American heroes recently.

“I think about the classic male hero in American culture when you and I were growing up: the John Waynes, the Gary Coopers, the Jimmy Stewarts, the Clint Eastwoods, for that matter.

There was a code … the code of masculinity that I grew up with that harkens back to the ’30s and ’40s and before that. There’s a notion that a man is true to his word, that he takes responsibility, that he doesn’t complain, that he isn’t a bully—in fact he defends the vulnerable against bullies.

And so even if you are someone who is annoyed by wokeness and political correctness and wants men to be men again and is tired about everyone complaining about the patriarchy, I thought that the model wouldn’t be Richie Rich—the complaining, lying, doesn’t-take-responsibility-for-anything type of figure.”

'Interesting
lol, For the first time in my life i am looking for America to be a hero again.
maybe a mix of both John Wayne and James Stewart.

'looks like we half the mix anyway, Biden will play Jimmy to the tee
basta.binici
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by basta.binici »

We are thankful to him to attack Syria and mess up the Middle East, sell stolen oils of Syrians in cooperation with ISIS terrorists and the Turkish government. Let's hope he practices yoga like the Canadian PM and we love him more doing handstand.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Yes, it's all about the image now. Obama always knew how to sound and look good. Look what they do, not what they say.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

I started to read The Promised Land, but in light of what has happened over the past four years, and especially what is happening now, it just made me depressed that a good, decent man, a great orator, intelligent, thoughtful and empathetic, displaying a code of honour and integrity, would be so undervalued by the people he served, and that they would elect and support a clown, a braggart, a serial liar, a failed businessman, a demagogue who appealed to the lowest common denominator. LIke most outside the USA I don't have a dog in the fight but I can be objective and see what is apparent. My country has Jacinda Ardern as a leader and I am proud of that. But America? A sad case, and its make me despair for humanity.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Oh my Buddha.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Other than being an intelligent figurehead and positive role model did Obama do anything of note to improve the systemic racism that seems to be such a major issue in the US ? Listening to all the unbridled joy and speeches from the Democrats and their supporters after the election about how Kamala Harris's background will be some sort of new dawn in that respect, it got me thinking that pretty much the same was said when Obama was elected. I realise Trump revelled in being divisive and stirring the pot, but what did Obama actually achieve over 2 terms in office on that issue.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize for his great achievements. Gandhi level achievements. Because he is the personification of BLM.

Otherwise? Tons of regulations until every American is guilty of violating at least one of them. Massive increase in taxes. Steady diet of government stimulus. Reset of politics by taking people and governments that hate the US to be our close friends and alienating our global friends. Investing billions in chasing green technologies that went bust. Sanctuary cities.

Every one of them worthy of achieving world peace.

Until the US ambassador was murdered.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic