Bird's Nest Selling Makes Good Profit for Ex-Rice Farmers in Roleak Beak District, Kampong Chnang

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Bird's Nest Selling Makes Good Profit for Ex-Rice Farmers in Roleak Beak District, Kampong Chnang

Post by John Bingham »

This will probably become a good become a good earner for all the unsold and eventually derelict condo blocks. You just need a few speakers. It's not like the market for bird's nest soup is shrinking, and it's sustainable unlike Shark fin soup or Pangolin stew etc.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Irony Man
Tourist
Ireland

Re: Bird's Nest Selling Makes Good Profit for Ex-Rice Farmers in Roleak Beak District, Kampong Chnang

Post by Irony Man »

How do you get started farming edible swiftlet nests? Does it need to be at the seaside? Do the birds need a particular environment, or just anywhere?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^^
You need to set up in a place the species already inhabit in good numbers, and then attract them to nest in your "house".
They feed on flying insects, so there must be lots of those around.
They live in areas up to 2000 mtrs but usually the concentrations are near the coast.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 am ^^^
You need to set up in a place the species already inhabit in good numbers, and then attract them to nest in your "house".
They feed on flying insects, so there must be lots of those around.
They live in areas up to 2000 mtrs but usually the concentrations are near the coast.
And if you live next to a swiftlet house, you are fu**ed, with the swiftlet calls played day and night.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Torture by bird.
Who wouldda thought...
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

I watched a woman “cleaning” the birds nests after harvesting them, they were in a bowl and it looked like she was sorting through the contents of a vacuum cleaner dust bag. She was picking feathers, dirt, live and dead insects and bits of shit off the nests with her filthy hands then holding them to her mouth to blow the dust off.
The nests themselves were tiny, mostly opaque (apart from the dirt) and looked like plastic.
As I understand it, there is almost no nutritional value to the nests and no medicinal value (its bird spit ffs) they may as well 3D print the things, no one would notice the difference and they’d probably be healthier sans the bird shit taint.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by John Bingham »

The "cleaned" ones go for a lot more than ones in a raw state. They do give an interesting texture and flavor to a soup. I've only had it a few times but found it pleasant enough.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

You made the same mistake i made, JB
I always thought it was "bird's nest soup" too.

LOL, but it's actually "bird's nest SOAP", silly us.
I buy it all the time now, that's why i am such a Hamson Man these days
- it contains bee collagen, you know...
http://www.birdnestthai.net/Set+Handmad ... 52123.html

NB punters, Before you go setting up the Vattanac Towers of birds nest houses
- think back to when tulip bulbs were the hottest fashion ticket on the planet.
Spoiler:
PS, Adventure tourists - Getting sick of smuggling smack?
Try birds nests into Sydney Airport.
That's the latest in hot fashion too. seriously
(well, before they banned the millions of chinese students coming in anyway)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic