Dogs/Moving/Vets/Boarding

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
MarySharma
Tourist

Dogs/Moving/Vets/Boarding

Post by MarySharma »

I see so many contradictory posts about pets, especially dogs. Some people say, dont bring them, other say, they have them and they do fine. Can someone please answer from personal experience? THANK you in advance. I am an US teacher considering taking a post there.

1. How was the move with your dog (I have a 50 pound mutt)

2. Are there pet friendly apartments?

3. Are there places to walk your dog?

4. Are there boarding places for when I travel, or a robust gorups of expats that dog sit?

5. Are there good Vets available?

6. Can I travel with my pet in Cambodia? Meaning on Tuk Tuks, on the limited train trip, or by bus?
BeccaSmith
Tourist
Great Britain

Re: Dogs/Moving/Vets/Boarding

Post by BeccaSmith »

Hi Mary!

A few answers to some of your questions;
2. Are there pet-friendly apartments?
Absolutely! Depending on where you're looking to be based it can be easy to find somewhere with a garden too. The rental market is great at the moment for any rentees (not so great for Landlords) because there are so many properties available.
3. Are there places to walk your dog?
Again, it depends on what part of the country you're going to. There aren't so many "dog parks" around. Most Khmer people don't tend to walk their dogs. They're more of employees than pets here, working as security. Sometimes you can find packs of dogs, but once you know your route it's easy to avoid them. I always carry a spray bottle with water just in case and it's not failed me yet.
4. Are there boarding places for when I travel, or a robust gorups of expats that dog sit?
In Phnom Penh and Siem Reap there are kennels and boarding! There's not many, but a few people registered on the app PetBacker.
5. Are there good Vets available?
Yes! There are lots of Western vet clinics. Either staffed or managed by westerners, or trained to Western standards.

I run a dog walking and pet sitting service up in Siem Reap. Feel free send me a message if you would like any more help or information :)
Pet Care Cambodia (https://www.facebook.com/PetCareCambodia) or WhatsApp +85569552173
Hopefully, you decide to make the move to the Kingdom of Wonder!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Phnom Penh must be one the most dog-unfriendly places in the world, especially for dogs used to Western Luxury.

If you love your dog that much, maybe reconsider moving.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I would never bring a dog out to this part of the world. Isn't there a family member you can give it to?
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Also remember dogs love the person who feeds them. Whilst I don't doubt your dog loves you and whilst the animal will be disorientated and even depressed when it finds itself in a new home without you after a month of walks and food it will be as happy as it was before.

Or

Fly it across the world in a crate, have it in quarantine, then living in a climate totally unsuitable for most dogs, in a city with no expansive parks, many extremely aggressive street dogs that it can get in fights with, substandard vetinary care in a culture where dogs are treated poorly or even eaten. So god forbid it should run off one day and get lost.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic