A new Khmer440 member the Venerable Nanda

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A new K440 member the Venerable Nanda

Post by Joon »

wasabi wrote:
General Chatter wrote:I feel so good...I was just allowed to post some mundane shit on K440 .... I love freedom of speech
Keep on GC - you do seem to be full of it
That reminds me of a friend who told me a funny story.
There was this comedian who had a sketch about people looking at toilet paper after wiping to check if they were clean and that if they didn't, it meant their undies were dirty.
My friend dared one of his friends at a bar to ask the question to a woman who was there with friends. So his friend went and asked "Do you look at toilet paper after wiping?" To which she replied, deeply offended in her dignity, "No, of course!"
And he retorted "How do you know you're clean then?"
She then threw her drink in his face. The story had a happy ending though as they explained the dare to the girls, whom they then had chats with over drinks.

I thought that the whole toilet paper issue made sense :lol:
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

vladimir wrote:I think I can say with a pretty high degree of certainty that if a Christian minister or Imam posted a comparable post, he would be subjected to moderate attacks, and that's being conservatively optimistic.

I fail to understand why a monk should receive favourable treatment, and there is also the question of what he's doing with a facebook account, presumably a laptop/pc/smartphone to access a website (K4) that's not exactly known for its spiritual side.

I'm not sure what the Council of Buddhism, or whatever body it is that controls monks would say about this;perhaps someone should ask

People who promote a religious viewpoint have been nailed on both sites; why should this guy get different?
He posted ONE post introducing himself through his Facebook page.
That's hardly proselytism.

And he is not the only one to take to social media and media to serve his goals. Ven. Loun Sovath does it too. In Ven. Nanda, it's to advance Buddhism teaching and helping the poor. In Ven. Loun Sovath, it is to defend human rights and denounce rights violations and abuses.

Though it does sound like the thread and post was merely a plug for his FB page.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Marketing.

Pray for more followers. But FB never hurt either.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Cool that we're complaining that newbies aren't treated harshly enough over at 440. How long before a '7 reasons' post?

And just then...
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Why has this thread moved to the general chatter. After Scooby immediate response was case closed.

Joon, on the other hand, she likes to be always one step ahead of yall and usually does even when breast feeding her kid with one hand.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by General Chatter »

flying chicken wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:
BTW, Scobie is not so bad as some of you make out.
Yea, I think he cool.
he sent me a nice pm and I hope me and k440 will be cool....
I was born with nothing , and I still have most of it left.

ChessCube Account name is generalchat
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

flying chicken wrote:Joon, on the other hand, she likes to be always one step ahead of yall and usually does even when breast feeding her kid with one hand.
... and steering my car with the other while swearing at idiots on the road.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Joon wrote:
flying chicken wrote:Joon, on the other hand, she likes to be always one step ahead of yall and usually does even when breast feeding her kid with one hand.
... and steering my car with the other while swearing at idiots on the road.
You are both Asian and a woman yet you have the audacity to call others idiots on the road...
General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Joon wrote: .

Though it does sound like the thread and post was merely a plug for his FB page.
I read this on the other site and didn't understand then, why does he wanna plug his facebook site rather than just plug his upcoming book. Or this was just one of a number of steps to be taken.

General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

LTO wrote:Cool that we're complaining that newbies aren't treated harshly enough over at 440. How long before a '7 reasons' post?

And just then...
I said new users are generally made to feel unwelcome , except Buddhist monks ....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic