Exchanging bad $50USD or $100USD - HELP!

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
nickin910
Tourist
United States of America

Re: Exchanging bad $50USD or $100USD - HELP!

Post by nickin910 »

LIVIDZX wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:48 pm Do you have a bank account with ABA? If not find someone you trust who does, and go to one of the ATM machines that you can deposit money into an ABA account and see if they're accepted in those, there's an ABA branch right outside in front of AEON with a deposit machine in front which accepted my ex-GF's really old $50.

That's after we'd gone to every bank in AEON to see if there was anything we could do with it.
Thank you so much for this advice. Went to the deposit machine in AEON for ABA and was able to deposit several $100USD bills. Some were in bad shape, even torn with tape.

With some bills - I had to retry depositing them over and over but eventually was able to deposit them all.

Thank you for this!
nickin910
Tourist
United States of America

Post by nickin910 »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:18 pm ABA has a rule that if you deposit notes in their machines that are unacceptable, you will have to pay a 50% commission for them being refused.

I am not sure what will trigger that, certainly any fakes, but I think damaged notes will qualify. I never paid too much attention as I only ever deposited new crispy $100's so didn't care.

When you deposit there is a warning on the machine, or it comes up on the screen, I can't remember which. So, check this out before you try to stick a load of old ones into them.
Hmmm, I didn't see that - but I also wasn't really paying attention and was just trying to shove the notes in. They certainly aren't fake, just older and some with tears to them. Wow, I hope it doesn't charge me 50%. It did say on the deposit machine that it doesn't take older or damaged bills.

I guess I'll find out.
MAGA
Tourist
Canada

Post by MAGA »

I got stuck with 3 that were rejected constantly. Aeon Mall supermarket took two without question, Starbucks took the other. All my iffy money now goes to the supermarket, Lucky Super Market won't work.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

I once had some $100 bills that were damaged but the security strip was fine I went to Naga World put them in the electronic roulette machine cashed out a ticket went to cashier and got fresh notes. (Fun fact Naga mark their $100 with a little red stamp.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic