UK News, Updates and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: UK News, Updates and Discussion

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:17 am 8 minutes ago
There have been more than 1.3 million confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK and almost 52,000 people have died, government figures show.

However, these figures include only people who have died within 28 days of testing positive for coronavirus and other measures suggest the number of deaths is higher.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51768274
Had lost touch with the extent of the UK numbers until seeing this. What puts it into perspective regardless of the age of those dying is those possibly understated death numbers are more than 3 times the population of the reasonable sized town I live in when I visit the UK. That's a staggering statistic in my mind..Regardless of the fact I'd have to jump through hoops at great personal expense to currently return to Thailand, I simply won't even contemplate going back to the UK until the risk of infection is minimal.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

PM Boris Johnson self-isolating after contact with someone who tested positive for Covid-19, Downing Street says

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54954698
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

I was in London for the first two days of the latest 'lockdown'. Apart from a lack of tourists, didnt really notice much difference. I had to go to a clinic in Moorgate for a PCR and the next day to Baker Street for the results. Plenty of people around, mostly not wearing masks, road traffic fairly light for London but would be busy for any other city. Londoners not really taking it seriously. But as an illustration of how it affects smaller communities, here is something from the BBC news today:
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hburns wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:52 am PM Boris Johnson self-isolating after contact with someone who tested positive for Covid-19, Downing Street says

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54954698
Why? He's had it, and should have immunity. Is he afraid of catching it again? Why would someone immune need to self isolate? Does he know something we don't?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

lagrange wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:08 am I was in London for the first two days of the latest 'lockdown'. Apart from a lack of tourists, didnt really notice much difference. I had to go to a clinic in Moorgate for a PCR and the next day to Baker Street for the results. Plenty of people around, mostly not wearing masks, road traffic fairly light for London but would be busy for any other city. Londoners not really taking it seriously. But as an illustration of how it affects smaller communities, here is something from the BBC news today:
I'm hearing reports from London that people are definitely getting on with business. A builder friend has no intention of sitting at home doing nothing, like he did for about a month in April. His customers want their work done, builders merchants are open and the roads are full of people going about their business. He's never been so productive now they have closed the pub. He was working until 6.30 last Friday which is unheard of with a British builder!

I was in London from March 16th and saw first hand the empty streets (I walked every day -it was bliss) and empty building sites. I noticed that by the end of April the workers were mostly back, by May they were all back. I doubt they have even taken a day off this time.
covidsux
Expatriate
Bahamas

Post by covidsux »

hburns wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:31 am Are you just a troll?

I may have totally missed your point
Yet you asked the question? I apologize if you found it troll-like, just expressing my opinion.

My point is that (I think) the response to Covid is out of all proportion to its threat, regardless of cause. Secondly, the top ten causes of death have all been with us for ages, and after so much time, so little action? Smoking, for example does not only harm the smoker. I smoke, just very seldom and not around other people.I agree re nanny-state, btw. However, the reaction to Covid is a little bizarre, in my opinion. Economies and businesses have been sacrificed for just over a million deaths worldwide?

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-shee ... s-of-death
covidsux
Expatriate
Bahamas

Post by covidsux »

We're not in any danger of going extinct soon, btw: https://www.worldometers.info
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

covidsux wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:19 pm We're not in any danger of going extinct soon, btw: https://www.worldometers.info
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

covidsux wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:16 pm
hburns wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:31 am Are you just a troll?

I may have totally missed your point
Yet you asked the question? I apologize if you found it troll-like, just expressing my opinion.

My point is that (I think) the response to Covid is out of all proportion to its threat, regardless of cause. Secondly, the top ten causes of death have all been with us for ages, and after so much time, so little action? Smoking, for example does not only harm the smoker. I smoke, just very seldom and not around other people.I agree re nanny-state, btw. However, the reaction to Covid is a little bizarre, in my opinion. Economies and businesses have been sacrificed for just over a million deaths worldwide?

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-shee ... s-of-death
Yes there is an element of over-reaction, but I think what scares people are three things: 1, smoking can takes years off your life and someone smoking for many years can develop lung cancer, emphysema etc whereas you can get coronavirus and be dead within a week. 2, in many cases there is long term lung damage and on-going symptoms, and no-one yet knows if those will be with you for life or will go away after a while. 3, although most Western countries have good healthcare systems, a blow-out of the virus in the third world would overload hospitals and medical personnel to breaking point. So yes, the perceived threat is greater than the actual threat, but for me, at age 67 and in reasonable health, its a bit of Russian roulette -I don't want to take the chance, any more than I want to drive drunk or pick a fight with a bigger guy than me (except when I am in said drunk state, in which case its "you looking at me, pal?")
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Bloody Christmas 😩😩, sick of hearing about it, in the middle of a global pandemic and all they keep going on about is fuckin Christmas, over 500 dead today alone and here we go again " fuckin Christmas" they should just cancel it this year and be done with it 😖😖😖

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... y-advisers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic