British Teacher, BARRY WILLIAM MOSS, Found Dead of Heart attack in Phnom Penh House

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: British Teacher, BARRY WILLIAM MOSS, Found Dead of Heart attack in Phnom Penh House

Post by Stiliko »

From his fb in 2017:

“ Well. My job hunt for a teaching job in Cambodia took only two days, thanks to my old mate Dan. Monday morning he gave my cv to his university.
Monday lunchtime I get a call asking to come for an interview. Tuesday lunchtime I get a call asking me to start work on Wednesday.
On that same Monday, I went to one of the top music venues in Phnom Penh and jammed some songs with an American blues band.
Tonight I went to another bar and jammed again with another band.
Things seem to be falling into place very well and extremely quickly in this absolutely insane but truly wonderful country.

Cambodia.
You can't help but love it.”

Some more pics:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 793&type=3

The man was a player.

It’s always tragic when a special gift suddenly and all too soon disappears from this Earth. He’s off on his next adventure. Hope music will continue to play a large part of it.
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British Teacher, BARRY WILLIAM MOSS, Found Dead of Heart attack in Phnom Penh House

Post by Chuck Borris »

Hm, I am living in PP almost 4 years, never so him at any jam or see him performing?
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

He had a home recording studio too. He jammed there.
boofhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by boofhead »

Barry was a friend of mine. He was more than a statistic. He was a gentleman, a talented writer, guitarist and artist. Unlike many he took some time to learn Khmer to a reasonable level. He had deserved respect and affection from all fortunate enough to meet him, locals and barang. Least importantly he was a member of this forum.

He would invariably end our meetings with the phrase ". . . always a pleasure, never a chore". It was always a pleasure on my part. I will miss him.

When one close to us departs we ask ourselves whether we could have done more. It's a question I'm asking now.

To state the obvious, these are difficult times for all of us. Please reach out to and stay in touch with those close to you.

Here is Barry in happier times;

La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

Bubble T wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:41 am
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:36 am
It's also people who work online in legitimate jobs for foreign companies. At a time when other countries are building out infrastructure and new laws to enable such people to live there, Cambodia is making it harder and harder for them to stay.
Actually, i'd add to Thailand and Vietnam to that list.

Vietnam has now become very difficult indeed to work remotely online, as you are stuck on the new 1 month Visas and you cannot get a work permit, residency, drivers licence etc.

Thailand is similarly tough now, albeit forms of retirement Visas are actually available unlike Vietnam.

Without a formal employment offer & ability to get a formal work permit, it is only becoming more difficult.

I can say for certain that the days of thousands of cash-in-hand unqualified english teachers being able to earn a living in ASEAN countries are certainly coming to an end. Majority of ASEAN countries have reformed their visa system at the same time more or less.

Ironically, COVID-19 is possibly the only thing that has kept the game going for longer, as now there is an issue of teacher shortages, and i anticipate relaxation of strictness to an extent in 2021 in order to ease the pain on local economies.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

boofhead wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:21 pm Barry was a friend of mine. He was more than a statistic. He was a gentleman, a talented writer, guitarist and artist. Unlike many he took some time to learn Khmer to a reasonable level. He had deserved respect and affection from all fortunate enough to meet him, locals and barang. Least importantly he was a member of this forum.

He would invariably end our meetings with the phrase ". . . always a pleasure, never a chore". It was always a pleasure on my part. I will miss him.

When one close to us departs we ask ourselves whether we could have done more. It's a question I'm asking now.

To state the obvious, these are difficult times for all of us. Please reach out to and stay in touch with those close to you.

Here is Barry in happier times;

He sounds like one of the good guys. I'm sorry for your loss mate :(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic