COVID-19 Crybaby Corner

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: COVID-19 Crybaby Corner

Post by timmydownawell »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:19 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:17 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:49 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:37 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:07 pm

Source please, Timmy.
Right here:

If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following:

your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid
your travel is essential for your business/employer
you are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia
you are travelling outside Australia for three months or longer
you are travelling on compassionate or humanitarian grounds
your travel is in the national interest.

But...

You must provide evidence to support your claims.

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leav ... alia#toc-2
Thanks, that's really quite interesting. I wonder what constitutes "evidence" - would a return airfare in a year's time do? Might be worth a phone call at least.
IIRC, I read it in an article in SMH Traveller. It said that most people applying on those grounds were getting approved. So, good luck!
I'm out of play now until January, sadly. It sucks having integrity.
Hopefully things will be better and not worse by then. But the way things are going...
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

^ So Australia is taking East Germany's former glory but without the wall. Glad I'm in Thailand, I can leave but not return. Even in the US, states are for the first time in about a century being allowed to regulate interstate travel. Arguable whether governments are using this crisis for nefarious reasons, but not arguable that it's setting some dangerous precedents.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

No Robins ^^^
the former East Germany had 25% of the pop of all Germany
so "east german" covid deaths are around 3,000 and now rising fast again.
Australia with a larger population has fewer that 1,000 - and just about stopped it dead.

But i know - that is not your point.
What you are really implying is far more ridiculous that that.
Go look up "communist/ dictatorship/ one party state" in the history books. You don't appear to have a clue.

Back to the topic -
Sure, i am frustrated as hell at being cut off from the things i hold most dear. It is driving me mad and probably killing me quicker.
- but i don't resent the measures that have given Oz/NZ their unique success story and the comparative freedom that has bought. (virtually all of the internal restrictions will be gone in a few weeks)
For the vast majority of citizens, restricted OS travel is a small price to pay to avoid the current situation in virtually all other countries in the West.

Sucking eggs ain't much fun - but hey, it's called "life"
i could shoot myself instead i suppose.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I want to be stuck with the missus.

Does that count?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic