Expat says he was almost deported over Facebook posts

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Expat says he was almost deported over Facebook posts

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

PHOTO: Facebook: Yan Marchal

By Caitlan Ashworth
3rd Nov 2020

... I had to be less opinionated on Facebook if I wanted to stay in Thailand.

With the ongoing pro-democracy protests, some have raised question: What could happen to foreigners who get involved or speak out against Thai politics? Or post their thoughts on social media? Well, they could possibly get deported.

“He told me that I would be deported. The reason given was my Facebook activity. I could see that he has a file with a detailed report on my posts, although he did not let me read the details.”

“The message that I felt the inspector was willing to deliver, although he would not own it, was that I had to be less opinionated on Facebook if I wanted to stay in Thailand. I was specifically asked to delete two posts, which I did.”

It’s not the first time his content caused trouble. Last year, he was visited by police after a video he made poking fun at the military junta – the National Council for Peace and Order. Yan made a public apology and the video was removed.

full.https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/ ... book-posts
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Expat says he was almost deported over Facebook posts

Post by Anchor Moy »

I remember him. He likes to provoke the Thais.
Yan Marchel posted a video complaining about not being served in a Thai restaurant during Covid a few months ago :
thailand-news-and-discussion/bangkok-re ... 39626.html
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Did this suddenly come to him as a revelation or was he under the impression that Thailand was a French colony? Doofus.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

One of the beauties of being in Southeast Asia is the ability to ignore politics. What an idiot, no one would want to hear a Thai badmouthing President Trump or commenting on what he thinks concerning the British Royalty.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:48 pm Did this suddenly come to him as a revelation or was he under the impression that Thailand was a French colony? Doofus.
The perfect description of this 3 finger waver: Doofus!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic