Banksy- art makes you think

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Banksy- art makes you think

Post by phuketrichard »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:05 am Rats rats, i see rats on every page...
Rats have stolen the stage
Not a dream, not a nightmare
Ask Banksy, rats are everywhere
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... -isolation

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/b ... index.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Khmu Nation wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:10 am I would say that Banksy isn't art to make you think, its art to make you think you are thinking.

His stuff is often clever, yes, but it is also always contrived, twee, expressing some simplistic counter cultural observation, throw away and quite narcissistic. I am not a huge fan of his stuff but I admire him.

I like old school wild style, semi wild style lettering and especially top to bottom whole cars on trains - which are very rare these days.

PFB (Proper Fucking Bombers) and DDS (Diabolical Dub Stars) were the leading graf crews of my era, late 80s/early 90s London. King Robbo did some good stuff as well.

I did my History Of Art A Level thesis on Graffiti Art in 1991 and was really into it back then. Less so now but I will still admire a good piece if I see one.

:thumb:
So, you did a thesis on your own pretentiousness a decade after serious graf became mainstream? And you denigrate Banksy? Does that diploma pay well? What series keys did the nysc use?
up to you...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:05 am Rats rats, i see rats on every page...
Rats have stolen the stage
Not a dream, not a nightmare
Ask Banksy, rats are everywhere
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... -isolation
https://www.google.com/search?q=blek+le ... 67&bih=952
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Hydromys chrysogaster Golden-bellied Water Mouse
My favourite rat and current prey, 'Australia's otter. Rakali
They are everywhere around this harbour city too, just like Banksy's rats, silently working in the shadow.
4 times the size of a big black rat and almost nobody knows they are here.
Great tail, like an otter's but with a beautiful white tip.

(sorry, Off Topic i know - maybe look at it like an environmental graffiti post)
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Clemen wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:19 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:10 am I would say that Banksy isn't art to make you think, its art to make you think you are thinking.

His stuff is often clever, yes, but it is also always contrived, twee, expressing some simplistic counter cultural observation, throw away and quite narcissistic. I am not a huge fan of his stuff but I admire him.

I like old school wild style, semi wild style lettering and especially top to bottom whole cars on trains - which are very rare these days.

PFB (Proper Fucking Bombers) and DDS (Diabolical Dub Stars) were the leading graf crews of my era, late 80s/early 90s London. King Robbo did some good stuff as well.

I did my History Of Art A Level thesis on Graffiti Art in 1991 and was really into it back then. Less so now but I will still admire a good piece if I see one.

So, you did a thesis on your own pretentiousness a decade after serious graf became mainstream? And you denigrate Banksy? Does that diploma pay well? What series keys did the nysc use?
Mainstream doesn't denigrate a form of self expression. Although a few graffiti artists had shown work in galleries for most it was still considered glorified vandalism in 1991. Graffiti, in the sense of it being spraycan art, didn't really arrive in my country until about 1986.

The diploma does pay well. It, along with two other A Levels, got me into one of the best universities in the world where I got a degree that subsequently got me into well paid employment.

And Banksy is still twee, sound bite stenciled shit.

Imo.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Khmu Nation wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:58 am
Clemen wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:19 pm

Mainstream doesn't denigrate a form of self expression. Although a few graffiti artists had shown work in galleries for most it was still considered glorified vandalism in 1991. Graffiti, in the sense of it being spraycan art, didn't really arrive in my country until about 1986.

The diploma does pay well. It, along with two other A Levels, got me into one of the best universities in the world where I got a degree that subsequently got me into well paid employment.

And Banksy is still twee, sound bite stenciled shit.

Imo.
Piece of street grafitti i saw on my walk this morning

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

For you wall art lovers, I stumbled upon this the other day.
Take a look it's 4000m2 of graffiti
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Artless.
Commerce and decoration, but better than your average billboard. i guess.
Overlooking south end of Kings Cross Sydney for 14 days pre Xmas
(that is the old Top of the Town motel, the old fire station in front, for those familiar)
Some new biz can do this for you on many buildings around town.
2 days to go up. Short very expenno contracts (billboards are huge biz). 1 day to paint over again.
I'm guessing they have some kind of computer driven colour-by-numbers. ??
It doesn't look like Banksy or Michael Angels up there
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic