Car Crashing into Canal Kills 7 in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Car Crashing into Canal Kills 7 in Siem Reap

Post by hanno »

Woody wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:01 pm
siliconlife wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:59 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:29 pm
Each passenger in the accident vehicle had paid a gang 15,000,000 VND to be smuggled across Cambodia and into Thailand, where they planned to look for work.
Geez, things that bad in Vietnam and they think Thailand will be better? :? Maybe it's true, I don't really know but nevertheless surprises me..
For some. I doubt they are Kinh.

Yes I must say they don't look kinh
I am no expert, but after almost 20 years in Vietnam, they look like people I see every day to me.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

They look Kinh Vietnamese to me.

It's possible they are Khmer Krom - who are at least partially Khmer blood.

Millions of them live in the Mekong Delta.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

In KH Times, the story says that these people are from Nghe An and Ha Tinh, which is the poorest part of VN, and also a human trafficking center. The region is quite rough indeed. So they probably are Kinh. The group from Pleiku are more likely to be minorities.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic