Car Crashing into Canal Kills 7 in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Car Crashing into Canal Kills 7 in Siem Reap

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Siem Reap): On November 6, 2020, at 2 am, a car that was traveling from Vietnam to Siem Reap left the road and overturned in a canal, causing 7 dead and 5 injured, on national road 6A, Spean Thnot village, Chikreng district, Siem Reap. It was late and the journey was long; it has been suggested that the driver, a Cambodian man, may have fallen asleep at the wheel. He was killed at the scene of the accident.
At 8:30 am, the police helped to lift the car out of the canal and remove the bodies from the car. The police are searching for the victims' families to take the bodies for the funeral rites.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Car Crashing into Canal Kills 7 in Siem Reap

Post by ExPenhMan »

All the dead, but for the Cambodian driver, and injured are Vietnamese, Viet Nam News agency says.
HÀ NỘI — Six Vietnamese citizens were killed and five others injured after a traffic accident on Thursday in Chi Kreng District, Siem Reap Province, Cambodia.

Cambodian authorities arrived at the scene to handle the case and take those injured to hospital, according to the Vietnam News Agency correspondent in Cambodia.

The Consulate General of Việt Nam in Battambang Province contacted local authorities to verify information after learning of the accident.

The consulate general asked local authorities to treat the injured people and provide guidance on necessary procedures to help in handling the deceased.

The consulate general had dispatched staff to the scene of the accident to get more information and take necessary measures to protect citizens.

https://vietnamnews.vn/society/804340/s ... bodia.html
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE:
Cambodia News, (Siem Reap): Brigadier General Chea Kimsan, Deputy Commissioner for Immigration Planning, said that the minivan was part of a people-smuggling ring. All the victims of the car crash were Vietnamese nationals who entered Cambodia illegally; none of them were stamped out of Vietnam or stamped into Cambodia. The illegal immigrants said that they crossed the border from Vietnam at night on the back of motorbikes, riding through banana plantations into Cambodia.

Each passenger in the accident vehicle had paid a gang 15,000,000 VND to be smuggled across Cambodia and into Thailand, where they planned to look for work. A car met them across the border, and they were heading for Battambang and the Thai border when the driver of their vehicle drove off the road into a swamp.

The five surviving Vietnamese are as follows:
1. Name: TRUONG THI KHUYEN, female, born on 12-02-1982, Vietnamese national, holding passport
2. Name: PHAN THI VAN, female, born on 05/05/1984, Vietnamese national, holding passport
3. Name: HOANG QUOC TUAN, male, born on 16-06-1979, Vietnamese nationality, holding passport
4. Name: DANG VAN VINH, male, born on 10 March 1981, Vietnamese nationality, passport
5-Name: PHAM VIET LOI, Male, Born on 14-03-1981, Vietnamese, Passport missing.
They are being dealt with by the Department of Immigration.
The bodies of those who died in the accident have been sent to the Stung Meanchey pagoda in Phnom Penh as a temporary measure.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Each passenger in the accident vehicle had paid a gang 15,000,000 VND to be smuggled across Cambodia and into Thailand, where they planned to look for work.
Geez, things that bad in Vietnam and they think Thailand will be better? :? Maybe it's true, I don't really know but nevertheless surprises me..
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia News, (Banlung): Another five Vietnamese nationals were deported from Ratankkiri province this week.In the morning of November 3, 2020, the immigration forces of the Ratanakiri police arrested 5 Vietnamese people, 3 women and two men, in Ban Lung, Ratanakiri province, for living and working illegally in Cambodia.
Currently, the skillful police force (sic) has collaborated to send the foreigners back to Pleiku in Vietnam, through O' Yadav International Border Gate.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:29 pm
Each passenger in the accident vehicle had paid a gang 15,000,000 VND to be smuggled across Cambodia and into Thailand, where they planned to look for work.
Geez, things that bad in Vietnam and they think Thailand will be better? :? Maybe it's true, I don't really know but nevertheless surprises me..
For some. I doubt they are Kinh.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Other reports say that the car crash victims were from Ha Tien (in the south) and the traffickers took them north to cross the border to Cambodia. Probably using the same illegal border crossings that are used for transporting wood from Cambodia to Vietnam.

RIP anyway. That's the end of their dreams of a better life. :(
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

Those surviving 5 were so incredibly lucky. Hard to get out with 12 people in there, it's pitch black, van's overturned and underwater - what a nightmare. I'm guessing everyone in the back rows died as all the windows are intact.

In Thailand, these 5 would of course be in high demand to pick lotto numbers.
Woody
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Woody »

Certainly surprises me too
Woody
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Woody »

siliconlife wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:59 pm
For some. I doubt they are Kinh.

Yes I must say they don't look kinh
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic