Western DJs Promote Phnom Penh with Magical Musical Tour

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Western DJs Promote Phnom Penh with Magical Musical Tour

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

November 5, 2020
Tuk-tuk DJs tour Phnom Penh to boost tourism in style
Natalie Mullen and Scarlett Green / Khmer Times
DJ Nemo and DJ S.J.M mixing live in a tuk-tuk. Supplied

Four expats stuck in Cambodia have collaborated to produce a new, innovative way to promote the Kingdom – using their creative minds to make a unique video clip mixing music live in a tuk-tuk while travelling around Phnom Penh.

We’re used to seeing DJs playing music in clubs, festivals, bars and restaurants, where their ability to blend music attracts a wide array of people, to enjoy the music and let loose on the dance floor.

However, DJ Nemo and DJ S.J.M have created a whole new way of sharing their music, on the move.

The “Tuk Tuk Mix | Live Cambodia – DJ Nemo (Like The Fish) x DJ S.J.M” video posted on YouTube was filmed and edited by WHY NOT Creation with help from cameraman Andres Godoy and music mastering by Sergio Vilas.

The video shows the two DJs driving around various locations by night in Phnom Penh and has attracted views from people all over the world.

French DJ Nemo (Like The Fish) played back-to-back with UK DJ S.J.M (Intense Records) to create the one-hour mix, covering various sub-genres of underground minimal dance music. The mix was recorded live in September in Phnom Penh.

DJ S.J.M said: “I was watching a video by ‘Fat Boy Slim’ where he was doing a mix inside a car. They were talking and mixing at the same time and this inspired us, so we thought to ourselves, what if we do something like this but in an open tuk-tuk, and the idea was born.”

“Asia [sic] is a beautiful country, there is so much to explore that people don’t often get to see it all. Driving around the streets of Phnom-Penh and playing our music with the backdrop of the beautiful city seemed like a fantastic, creative way to show people Cambodia from another perspective,” he added.

“People were so welcoming. There are so many beautiful locations; we were spoilt for choice. I also wanted people to know more about our music so they can listen and enjoy it. It tells a story in a new light. It’s a new concept” DJ S.J.M added.

WHY NOT Creation was founded by French video producer, known as Amé, whose first project was a mix at seven steps waterfall in Ratanakiri. Although it’s a similar concept, you could say this was another inspiration for the tuk-tuk mix.

Amé said: “Nemo is a well-known DJ, and we have known him for over 6 months now. When we told him we wanted to do this, he thought it was a fantastic idea and was very excited.”

DJ Nemo said: “When I heard about it, I immediately jumped at the chance to do such a creative project. It’s an amazing idea, so I said let’s do it.”

They hired a local tuk-tuk driver, who they have got to know over the last year, who was thrilled to be featured and for the extra work it brought him. He knows the city very well and was glad to help them with planning routes and helping fix the camera onto the tuk-tuk for the recording.

“The tuk-tuk driver was very nice. We spoke with him, told him what we all needed to make this happen and he did exactly that, he couldn’t have been more helpful and was a vital part of the crew. We told him we want to go to the roundabout into the heart of the city, see the temples and the riverside,” said Amé.

“I was on a bike with another person helping me, recording the whole event on video. We nearly crashed almost 20 times, but it was an amazing experience filled with fun. It was a little dangerous, but I was focussing on the footage and it was well worth the risks in the end,” she added.

Their main motive for this project was to showcase Cambodia in a new light on social media, hoping to gain traction with views and to intrigue viewers to come to Cambodia in the future. They want to attract new tourists here when the borders open, for people who have been stuck in lockdown in other parts of the world, who are starting to plan trips away for 2021.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50779840/t ... -in-style/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Western DJs Promote Phnom Penh with Magical Musical Tour

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Remorques Rock
the new black
and our clients the high ridin' coolest cats in the kingdom.

Issued and officially endorsed by the United Tuk Tuk Drivers of Cambodia Guild
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Western DJs Promote Phnom Penh with Magical Musical Tour

Post by truffledog »

What would I think as a local if two cambodian DJ sitting in a Piaggio Ape would cruise the streets of Rome playing khmer lovesongs?
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic