Martial law declaired in Thailand! NOT ITS a MILITARY COUP

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Martial law declaired in Thailand! NOT ITS a MILITARY C

Post by Milord »

Stay safe Richard. :)

I've being reading around and it looks like you've done several great road trips. I haven't had time yet to view all your photos but was wondering if your had a blog?

You certainly share a lot of advice re weaving those borders. :hattip:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

thanks,
no blogs, all goes into research for the book
next month, back down to Penang by car and take in the southern Thai cities
July back up to Surin and around Cambodia for a month
Love driving :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

What book? When?

Happy trails.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

6% Only BUT lots of public opinion.

Yes small money relatively to the country but it employs around 30% of the work force.
If by public opinion you mean the opinion of the tourist the Thai don't care, for the general population the bottom line is that they will be less work (but once again fare from having the importance of farming).

Bottom line the curfew is a non event as fare as the industry is concern (this I can say with confidence as I spoke with people having production facilities in Thailand.), usually it is seen as something big mostly by their westerner employee who cannot go partying.

BUT foreign investment ts huge,
More than $15bn of planned foreign and domestic investment in Thailand is on hold..
The near-500bn baht of stalled proposals is equal to almost 50 per cent the 1,182bn baht of applications – well over half of it from manufacturers – submitted in 2012, according to the board’s website.

Yes investment are on hold and that have every thing to do to with the none democratic anti foreigner nature of the last protest ( the fact that the minimal wage has been raised by 30% also did not help ). The situation is seen as being none predictable with evolution potentially bad for foreign investment.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

phuketrichard wrote:next month, back down to Penang by car and take in the southern Thai cities
Trang is very nice.

I liked Narathiwat and Pattani, Yala not so much.

Give us a PM when you hit town...
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I like the south and the people down there !!
the drive from Betong to Yalla is fantastic

Will do
This trip to Camb am taking in the far east, only section of Cambodia i have not visited, ( Rattanakiri/Mondulkiri)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/world ... tinue.html

As Thais adjusted to life under military rule, questions grew about the army’s ability to handle the complexities of governing a modern economy, especially if there were a protracted period without a Parliament and an elected government. After the 2006 coup a military-appointed government was largely seen as a failure.

“It boggles the mind that they think they can run so many government departments,” said Nattakorn Devakula, a television host whose station was ordered off the air by the military. “They don’t have the expertise.”

Note that there is not one mention of the curfew in the article.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Headline came through on my Thaivisa feed source ThaiPBS that the Thai police are going to be reformed, I read the content but am completely none the wiser to what it actually all meant. Sorry I can't post the link properly on my tablet. Will be interesting to follow this development as I view the lack of proper law enforcement and institutional police corruption as one of Thailand's major drawbacks.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
neuropathic
Expatriate
Bangladesh

Post by neuropathic »

phuketrichard wrote:I like the south and the people down there !!
the drive from Betong to Yalla is fantastic

Will do
This trip to Camb am taking in the far east, only section of Cambodia i have not visited, ( Rattanakiri/Mondulkiri)
e.

I used to live in Betong. Very much like the only poof in the village, I was the only farang in town. It felt weird, but it's a beautiful place.
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

Note that there is not one mention of the curfew in the article.
The curfew was very much "on" last night when I was in Bangkok. Practically EVERYTHING in the sukhumvit area I stayed in was closing down around 22.00.

The skytrain closed down around 21.00 but there was no point trying to get on one before that because it was packed so full that I couldn't squeeze into any of the 10 doors I looked into. Thank Buddha for motorcycle taxis!

I didn't take the curfew seriously so I didn't stock up on beer. Much to my disappointment when I tried to find a 7-11, family mart or any other place that could sell me some beer after the pub I was drinking in closed around 22.00!

I ended up having to ask at the hotel if they had any more beer than what was in the minibar, but no. No beer there either.

I couldn't be bothered to go all around Bangkok the see if I could find anywhere that hadn't closed as I was going back to PP the next morning.

It's the first curfew I can remember being taken so seriously by everyone in Bangkok.
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic