Car Overturns After Smashing Up Buddha Statues

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Car Overturns After Smashing Up Buddha Statues

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On November 3, 2020, at 11:25 pm, a high-speed Range Rover car, plate PP2BI-1669, overturned after smashing a number of Buddha statues on Hanoi road, Sangkat Kmounh, Khan Sen Sok, Phnom Penh.
The local people reported that before the incident, a Range Rover car was driven on the Hanoi road from south to north at high speed when it smashed into some Buddha statues, causing the car to overturn. Two men in the car got seriously injured and were sent to the hospital. Many Buddha statues were broken.
The police went to the scene to check the accident and took the damaged car to the police station, waiting to sort out the problem later.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Car Overturns After Smashing Up Buddha Statues

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

At risk of being struck down by lightning..
looking at these photographs leaves me cold.

Like most people, a good Buddha image can bring a "sacred" touch to my day, and a moment of blessed peace of mind.
and i respect the reverence of others even if i think eastern Buddhism has long lost its way.
Theism and idolatry are the opposite to my understanding of Buddha's teachings, but that's just me.

I find it very hard to soften tho, to the moulded concrete travesties that are the bedrock of modern Khmer religious artefacts and architecture.
Moulded concrete and plaster just don't do Buddhist art very well.
even worse when adorned with enamel gloss paint.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

It could have been a gathering of people and children, these fuckin idiots deserve to be locked up for dangerous driving, but no, they have money so all is cool
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:43 am At risk of being struck down by lightning..
looking at these photographs leaves me cold.

Like most people, a good Buddha image can bring a "sacred" touch to my day, and a moment of blessed peace of mind.
and i respect the reverence of others even if i think eastern Buddhism has long lost its way.
Theism and idolatry are the opposite to my understanding of Buddha's teachings, but that's just me.

I find it very hard to soften tho, to the moulded concrete travesties that are the bedrock of modern Khmer religious artefacts and architecture.
Moulded concrete and plaster just don't do Buddhist art very well.
even worse when adorned with enamel gloss paint.
What makes you think they are moulded? They don't seem to have any rebar in them and I've seen many statues built up that way in layers. The cracks are very clean, but I'm not convinced it is stone. For those who can afford it you can certainly get sandstone replicas of any statue you like. It takes a long time to make these, hundreds of hours. Even cement statues take a lot of finishing. Nearly every monument here has been built from bricks and plaster, at least since the 13th century. And the original temples here were apparently painted in gaudy colors with gilded domes. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

KHMER SCULPTURE
Cement Nirvana: Cambodia’s Buddhist statues

https://southeastasiaglobe.com/cement-n ... t-statues/

8)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Don’t worry, those rich fools are screwed. Karma will get them. Either in this life, or the next.

Destroyed Buddha once is bad. Destroying Buddha multiple times?

Their fates are sealed.

Especially when their Khmer neighbors knows that it was THEM.

My theory, anyway.
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

Still at the sandstone shop, so all good, not been blessed as yet so not officially a Buddha - just looks like one lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic