Please help to answer the most trivial question ever posed by mankind.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Please help to answer the most trivial question ever posed by mankind.

Post by xandreu »

Having a bit of a debate with a friend tonight over the definition of the word 'abroad'.

Being from and island nation (the UK), the term 'abroad' means going to another country but as all other countries are always overseas (to us Brits), does that mean you have to go overseas in order to go 'abroad', or does it just mean to go from one country to another regardless of whether a sea crossing is involved or not?

For example, Norther Ireland, which is part of the UK, wouldn't ordinarily be considered as going abroad, as it's part of the same country, even though you have to go overseas to get there. However, we would consider the Republic of Ireland itself as being abroad.

In contrast, Gibraltar, which is also part of the UK, (or at least an overseas territory) is generally classes as abroad, because it involves going overseas. Even If you fly there direct, so no other countries have to technically be involved.

It's a difficult question to ask non-English speaking people as they would have different words for it anyway.

So I'm specifically asking any American / Canadian posters here. When travelling from Canada to the US or vice versa, would you say you are 'going abroad'?

Is 'abroad' specifically a British term?

Thanks for allowing me to waste 3 minutes of your life that you'll never get back. :)
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Please help to answer the most trivial question ever posed by mankind.

Post by Anchor Moy »

Anywhere that isn't your home country apparently. eg.
\ ə-ˈbrȯd
\
Definition of abroad

1 : beyond the boundaries of one's country : in or to a foreign country
traveling abroad
hopes to study abroad next year
both at home and abroad
a family that came here from abroad [=from a foreign country] several years ago
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abroad
Btw - most frequently asked trival question is probably : Do you want another one ? :beer2:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Where I'm from it's used for any foreign nation. That'd what i assumed it meant for all English speakers, but perhaps the etymology of the word derives from your understanding of it, I've never looked into it. Either way, the modern meaning is simply a country beyond your own borders (ocean or not), as mentioned.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Do Americans use it at all?
Maybe one of those words like "boffins" - it seems to be used almost exclusively by those from British Commonwealth countries.
??

It is still used in Oz and Kiwiland, but less so nowadays.
I always thought it was a bit of an English artefact.

and possibly for those a bit "posh", or trying to be
- but that may stem from the fact that in "the olden days" the wealthy were the ones that most often travelled OS.
Anty
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anty »

I use overseas often, ie “since I’m living overseas the time difference blah blah”. But I am across the Pacific in Asia from home, the US. If I moved to Canada I guess I’d say abroad only, because there wouldn’t be a sea.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Abroad in the world simply, if maybe a little archaic for modern definitions*, is somewhere outside of where you may be familiar, or where you might normally be found.
Abroad includes places overseas, but is not limited to.

Possibly a little further than out and about...

*definitions/simplifications
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I was out with abroad last night , she was lovely :good:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Anty wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:31 am I use overseas often, ie “since I’m living overseas the time difference blah blah”. But I am across the Pacific in Asia from home, the US. If I moved to Canada I guess I’d say abroad only, because there wouldn’t be a sea.
When I lived in NZ I never heard the term 'abroad '. When people spoke about lands beyond our shores it was always 'overseas '.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It’s the same with Hawaii or Alaska which is are US states. Americans don’t go abroad to Hawaii or Alaska. US territories are considered much further away. So they would go abroad to to Guam, for example.

Of course most visitors to Guam are Japanese and some Koreans, so it’s definitely going abroad to Guam.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Abroadistan is a fine land.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic