Is buying a house probable

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Is buying a house probable

Post by phuketrichard »

from my experience, kids dont add a lot of expense for the first few years, beside dippers and formula ( breast feed as long as she can) if they are healthy .
The expenses starts when you choose to add in International school fees when ur child hits 9-10 years old.
6-9 it will cost ya an extra few hundred for a good bilingual school over the local school

ONLY go into debt if your currently saving over $1,200/month an even then i would seriously think about it.
If you do borrow, make sure ur mortgage is less than 30% of ur take home pay

FYI:
congrats on the future trip ur heading down... its a mind blower, but for the most part, will be the best of ur life
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Sheepdog wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:10 pm Hey guys, nice thread.

I’m pretty much in the same boat as the OP and been meaning to post something similar in the hope of some wise advice for a while. I’ve been living here around about 7 years. I have a Khmer wife, but we got hitched in the UK a year ago, so we are not legally married here. (We are hoping the laws here will change and recognize it in the future and strengthen our case if we want to leave here in the future to go back to the UK) I love living here, but that might not be the best option in the future.

We have our first kid arriving in a few months. Wasn’t planned but exciting times ahead! Also slightly worrying giving the state of the world and current events!

Like the OP, I’d also like to invest in a property here pretty soon. We were doing pretty well, saving on average $800 a month for the past year and not really trying too hard to cut down on our spending.

Now of course, we have extra costs coming in soon and my wife will be on reduced income for a while once the baby makes an appearance. We have around $8000 saved and can boost that (hopefully!) to $10,000 before the baby arrives.

I think a Borey is a better investment compared to Condos, but many ‘good value’ Boreys are on the outskirts of PP and I’m worried about the daily commute to work. Traffic is just getting worse. I work in a school pretty central and live a 15/20minute bike ride to work in the TTP Area which is fine, but I don’t want to have to do much more.

I like the look of Borey Williams but again, the distance from work is a put off. Has anyone any experience with them?

Buying a condo with 2BR is as expensive or more as a house in most PP areas.

I’ve just upgraded and we’re now renting a nice, spacious 2BR apartment for $400 a month in the location I like. Do I stick here and keep saving for the next few years to have a more sizable deposit for a house in a decent borey, or do I buy a condo short term with a smaller deposit and then hope to sell for a small profit to then buy a house with a bigger deposit?

What do you guys think?

Any tips/ suggestions very welcome.

Long time reader, first time poster! You guys have entertained me for a long time :)
If you are already married in the UK, I don't believe getting married in Cambodia will do anything to advance your wife's case to settle in the UK. It won't harm it either of course.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:01 am from my experience, kids dont add a lot of expense for the first few years, beside dippers and formula ( breast feed as long as she can) if they are healthy .
The expenses starts when you choose to add in International school fees when ur child hits 9-10 years old.
6-9 it will cost ya an extra few hundred for a good bilingual school over the local school

ONLY go into debt if your currently saving over $1,200/month an even then i would seriously think about it.
If you do borrow, make sure ur mortgage is less than 30% of ur take home pay

FYI:
congrats on the future trip ur heading down... its a mind blower, but for the most part, will be the best of ur life
The real expenses start when they're 3 or 4 in Cambodia, and need to go to kindergarten / pre-school unless you want to go Khmer style kindergarten with 40 kids playing on a dirty mat in a small room without facilities. The 10k in savings will be just enough to cover three years of more or less decent education, if they're lucky.

Phnom Penh might be, like mentioned before, a nice place if you're single and chasing tails, but raising a kid there is a different story. The city is extremely dirty, congested, facilities are either lacking or relatively expensive and once it comes to education you're fucked over financially.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

If your happy where you are and saving $10k a year I'd stay where I am , babies are useless the first few years can't kick a ball with them etc stay home save as much as you can then decide what area you going to school the kids, buy then, you will find when you have babies better to stay home every time you go anywhere you feel like you're taking half the house with ya. Good luck it's a great ride as mentioned having kids best time of your life,
Except when they grow up and you divorce and find yourself single again :beer3:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Brilliant thread and a situation I was in just over 10 years ago. We bought a house in PP just before my daughter was born and kept it for 4 years. You'll make your own mind up regarding what's best for you but I will reiterate what others have said - decent healthcare and education do cost a lot of money in Cambodia. That is what caused us to make the decision to move back west. Obviously, lifestyle for us is not as much fun as in Cambodia but it's a hell of a lot safer and educational standards are still really high and far more equal than Cambodia.

FYI, we plan to head back to Cambodia the year our daughter turns 19.....
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:39 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:52 am and have him end up in a school with a bunch of cultural Marxist teachers where they cant play conkers and various boys use the girls kasi cos they are non binary.
Not to derail the thread, but if these are the sort of things you worry about for your children then you have seriously lost touch with reality.
They aren't. I posted that off the back of a real life conversation I was having simultaneously as being on my phone.

I won't be going home for a plethora of reasons.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Regardiing education, my kid will be educated here, at an international school if I can afford it. If not local.

I would never return to the UK just for school. The negatives massively outweigh the positives.
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

Cheers for all the advice, there are some nice nuggets in there and a lot of it reinforces what we were already thinking.

I think we will be staying where we are and will continue saving for a few years, then we’ll reassess the situation!

Enjoy the remainder of the holiday! :D
Stray20
Tourist

Post by Stray20 »

rogerrabbit wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:19 am

I’m pretty much in the same boat as the OP and been meaning to post something similar in the hope of some wise advice for a while. I’ve been living here around about 7 years. I have a Khmer wife, but we got hitched in the UK a year ago, so we are not legally married here. (We are hoping the laws here will change and recognize it in the future and strengthen our case if we want to leave here in the future to go back to the UK) I love living here, but that might not be the best option in the future.

We have our first kid arriving in a few months. Wasn’t planned but exciting times ahead! Also slightly worrying giving the state of the world and current events!

Like the OP, I’d also like to invest in a property here pretty soon. We were doing pretty well, saving on average $800 a month for the past year and not really trying too hard to cut down on our spending.

Now of course, we have extra costs coming in soon and my wife will be on reduced income for a while once the baby makes an appearance. We have around $8000 saved and can boost that (hopefully!) to $10,000 before the baby arrives.

I think a Borey is a better investment compared to Condos, but many ‘good value’ Boreys are on the outskirts of PP and I’m worried about the daily commute to work. Traffic is just getting worse. I work in a school pretty central and live a 15/20minute bike ride to work in the TTP Area which is fine, but I don’t want to have to do much more.

I like the look of Borey Williams but again, the distance from work is a put off. Has anyone any experience with them?

I’ve just upgraded and we’re now renting a nice, spacious 2BR apartment for $400 a month in the location I like. Do I stick here and keep saving for the next few years to have a more sizable deposit for a house in a decent borey, or do I buy a condo short term with a smaller deposit and then hope to sell for a small profit to then buy a house with a bigger deposit?

What do you guys think?

Long time reader, first time poster! You guys have entertained me for a long time :)
Have you considered flathouses? South Phnom Penh along the HE Boulevard there are lot of local style newly built 2-4br flathouses that sale for 50k-80k. From there you can get to TTP area within 10-15mins and even during the worse peak hours shouldn't take more than 30minutes. And the new Aeon will be there too.
I know this is an old thread but thought I’d revive it for some clarification-

When you mention flathouse - what type of property are you specifically referring to? Do you mean a typical shophouse style or the newer (often one storey) type row houses with a flat roof?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Stray20 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:08 am
rogerrabbit wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:19 am

What do you guys think?

Have you considered flathouses? South Phnom Penh along the HE Boulevard there are lot of local style newly built 2-4br flathouses that sale for 50k-80k. From there you can get to TTP area within 10-15mins and even during the worse peak hours shouldn't take more than 30minutes. And the new Aeon will be there too.
I know this is an old thread but thought I’d revive it for some clarification-

When you mention flathouse - what type of property are you specifically referring to? Do you mean a typical shophouse style or the newer (often one storey) type row houses with a flat roof?
Yeah I meant the typical shop house style.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic