Day-to-day COVID measures?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Day-to-day COVID measures?

Post by nerdlinger »

The 14-day entry quarantine aside, are there any other lockdown type measures in place in Cambodia?

Eg are schools, cinemas, bars etc all still open? Are masks required in certain places? Has anything changed on the ground?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Day-to-day COVID measures?

Post by Doc67 »

nerdlinger wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:26 am The 14-day entry quarantine aside, are there any other lockdown type measures in place in Cambodia?

Eg are schools, cinemas, bars etc all still open? Are masks required in certain places? Has anything changed on the ground?
Schools seem to be open as there are plenty of kids in uniforms driving moto's at high speed, bless 'em.

Bars and restaurants still open, but the 'entertainment one's still have restrictions although musicians are still playing. Pontoon is open, if that's your thing.

A few people wear masks, mostly Grab drivers and staff in a few of the better restaurants, but it is very inconsistent.

Compared to the UK, this place is heaven; no Covid-19 and no restrictions on daily life!
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Thanks for that.

Does anyone want to put their Nostradamus hat on and predict what kind of measures might happen if a few hundred people do start dropping dead of covid?

In other words, is the government the kind of government that would do a strict China style lockdown, or the kind that would drag their heels USA style (without making it political)?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

nerdlinger wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:33 pm Thanks for that.

Does anyone want to put their Nostradamus hat on and predict what kind of measures might happen if a few hundred people do start dropping dead of covid?

In other words, is the government the kind of government that would do a strict China style lockdown, or the kind that would drag their heels USA style (without making it political)?
I think they would try and keep it quiet for as long as possible to avoid panic. It could already be happening here. If an expat get what feels like the flu, develops breathing problems and has a heart attack as a result, the cause of death is a heart attack. It's not like calling 999 and waiting for the cavalry to arrive. If you are living along, too knackered to get out of bed and struggling to breath, I can easily see how you could expire and be classed as a heart attack and nobody would be any the wiser.

You don't actually die from Covid-19, it just causes breathing problems if you get it bad. Once you have oxygen starvation, hypoxia, the body will do the rest and heart failure will occur. And we all know that is the standard cause of death here; case closed.

This virus had it's chance to rip through this country back in December-March when the doors were wide open to Wuhan and other infected places. Nothing happened. I do see any reason why it will start now. We might just of got very lucky here.

If it did suddenly take hold here, and the locals and leaders started panicking and doing heavy handed lockdowns, I would head straight for the airport and go back to London without hesitation.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Yep if strict lockdown started here it would be scary, don't think the average khmers would cope, straight to panic mode, and look out barangs it's your fault.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

atst wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:17 am Yep if strict lockdown started here it would be scary, don't think the average khmers would cope, straight to panic mode, and look out barangs it's your fault.
barangs it's your fault.

That would be the main concern for me.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:21 am
atst wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:17 am Yep if strict lockdown started here it would be scary, don't think the average khmers would cope, straight to panic mode, and look out barangs it's your fault.
barangs it's your fault.

That would be the main concern for me.
I would if I were Chinese.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic