ABA Swift transfers

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

ABA Swift transfers

Post by xandreu »

Has anyone here made a Swift transfer from their ABA account back home? Specifically to their TransferWise account but not necessarily?

There doesn't seem to be anywhere on the ABA app to put the reference number that TransferWise gives you? There are no fields at all to put a reference number, which is odd?

Any help?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: ABA Swift transfers

Post by alexvanlaar »

If you send $ by Transferwise to ABA, you dont need any reference -nr.!
Explain exactly what you wanna do, otherwise nobody will answer.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I'm trying to make an international SWIFT transfer from ABA to a TransferWise bank account. Not a foreign bank account via TransferWise. A SWIFT transfer from ABA to a TransferWise account. They give you a reference number to use but there is nowhere on the SWIFT section of the ABA app to enter a reference number.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

You can use your ABA debit card to transfer to TransferWise, can’t you? No need to make a Swift transfer.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Nixon wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:42 pm You can use your ABA debit card to transfer to TransferWise, can’t you? No need to make a Swift transfer.
If you'd ever used a debit card to make transfers OUT of Cambodia (not inward) you'd understand why.

I'm just looking for advice from.anyone who's made SWIFT transfers out of Cambodia via ABA. I'm aware of all the other options.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Made plenty of SWIFT transfers out of Cambodia via ABA, but not to Transferwise so can't help ya out with that one sorry.

Have you tried contacting the ABA helpdesk chatline?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:30 pm Made plenty of SWIFT transfers out of Cambodia via ABA, but not to Transferwise so can't help ya out with that one sorry.

Just include the ref# in transaction detail box

Specifically; the "purpose of transfer" field
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@Jerry Atrick :thumb: but not sure why you quoted me with your answer :unknown: @xandreu is the one asking the question
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:47 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:30 pm Made plenty of SWIFT transfers out of Cambodia via ABA, but not to Transferwise so can't help ya out with that one sorry.

Just include the ref# in transaction detail box

Specifically; the "purpose of transfer" field
Thanks, that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure if the receiver had access to that field or if it was just a reference for the sender. I'll give it a go.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I have done an ABA Swift transfer twice which required a reference. On their online banking there is a field down the bottom where you can put in a reference and there is also a box on the form if you do it over the counter. It went through with no problem other than the bank questioning the purpose of the remittance which is none of their business.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic