Have many businesses closed because of covid ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Have many businesses closed because of covid ?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Clemen wrote:In Japan people pay good money for stained underwear.Image
OMG!

Missus says I’m ‘out of fashion’ a lot. A badge I proudly wear.

Hang in there everyone! Happy times are coming (someday).

Meanwhile either my prayers (or cursing at the US ambassador / US embassy) has been answered. Missus has an embassy interview next month .
Shazza
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Shazza »

Who f**king cares nkotb,hopefully she gets her f**king visa,then she can go to where ever you are f**ing living in the world . Then you won't have to post any more of your shite on this forum for f**k sake. Have a good day. 🖕
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Next big round of closures will be in December/January as most people that negotiated a rent discount have it till the year's end. From what I ear most landlords won't keep the discount going further than that.
Tourist bars, travel agencies, hotels, some restaurants, tour operators, car leasing business (even eurocar by the airport folded and went bankrupt).
And many ancillary business are on their knees as well, all those companies doing plane repairs, supplying meals for planes, aviofuel etc...
Mango farming got hit hard as the demand shrunk and air freight cost went through the roof.
Artisans d'ankor is virtually bankrupt with lots of manpower and no demand for turist's trinkets.
Anyone that relied on fair air freight is suffering or bankrupt.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Arget wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:47 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:01 pm
timmydownawell wrote:Meanwhile I notice some stalls at Orussey that vacated around March and remain empty. And Orussey's not even a tourist market. Apart from that I haven't noticed a big downturn apart from the restaurants, bars and tourist-related business.
Missus says that high end clothing stores in her area have closed. Some stalls at the local market, too. So the local Khmer are definitely hurting.

The used clothing stalls seem to be doing fine, however.

But I’d be hesitant about paying to wear someone’s stained underwear. Or clothes from someone who died recently.
NKOTB.
Please read below.

pretentious

adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.

TOP DEFINITION
prick
Worse than a douche and jerk combined. A guy who thinks they know everything but in reality they're stupid hypocrates

aka pretentious prick.

not everyone can afford to be choosy about clothing they purchase and how do you know second hand undies would be stained. And recently deceased persons clothing as opposed to "been dead awhile" clothing. ffs
Yes, I knew a lady who sold imported second hand clothes in PP. A lot of it was nice quality, usually from Korea. If it needed washing, she washed it and her husband ironed everything. Bloody hard work.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

COVID-19 Dries Up 50,000 Tourism-based Jobs in Cambodia
AKP Phnom Penh, November 06, 2020 --

Some 2,838 tourism-related businesses in Cambodia have been shut down or temporarily closed due to the COVID-19 crisis as of September this year, leading to 50,996 job losses in the sector, according to the Ministry of Tourism.

Speaking in a workshop on Tourism Business Operation in COVID-19 era held in Siem Reap province on Nov. 6, H.E. Song Tonghap, Secretary of State for Tourism, said that the affected number accounts 29.6 percent of the tourism-related businesses nationwide.

About 62 percent of COVID-19-affected tourism businesses are based in Siem Reap province, making 14,702 workers out of jobs, he added.

To restore the sector, Ministry of Tourism is preparing key strategic documents such as roadmap on the rehabilitation and promotion of Cambodia's tourism sector (2020-2025), master plans for tourism development in Siem Reap, Kep and Mondulkiri provinces (2020-2035), and Tourism Development Strategic Plan (2021-2030), H.E. Secretary of State pointed out.

To support tourism business situation in this COVID-19 period, the Royal Government of Cambodia has launched six rounds of measures to continue to manage the impact on key sectors of the national economy, including tax measures, workers-employees' protection measures, and exemption of tourism licence renewal fees nationwide for 2021, he said.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

theKid wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:06 am
alexvanlaar wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:54 am Pontoon? Just asking.....
Pontoon is open and seems to be going quite well actually. The few times I popped by in the past few weeks it was as packed as ever.

I think that a wave of problems is still to come. The shutting of the borders coincided with the ending of the “high” season. Many tourism related businesses just idle through the low season and make most of their money during Nov to March, so 2020 so far has not been too different. But that expected income from the coming 5 month will obviously be missing and cash-flow issues will only now become visible.
Thanx Kid!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

alexvanlaar wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:16 am
theKid wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:06 am
alexvanlaar wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:54 am Pontoon? Just asking.....
Pontoon is open and seems to be going quite well actually. The few times I popped by in the past few weeks it was as packed as ever.

I think that a wave of problems is still to come. The shutting of the borders coincided with the ending of the “high” season. Many tourism related businesses just idle through the low season and make most of their money during Nov to March, so 2020 so far has not been too different. But that expected income from the coming 5 month will obviously be missing and cash-flow issues will only now become visible.
Thanx Kid!
I think you may find the situation has changed in the intervening 26 days since he answered your question.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A Siem Reap guest house owner has announced on social media that it will be closing at the end of November 2020.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

somebodies shit is another men's sugar..

At least she has tried to follow her dreams
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic