Any Updates? VOA

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Any Updates? VOA

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 am
AndyKK wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:44 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:59 am Well. it's nice to know that if I decide to leave in a hurry I now have a sensible flight back to London via Singapore thus avoiding the 5 hour flight to Korea and a 6 hour layover. And it's much cheaper.
What price is the flight Doc and how often.
Sundays and Tuesdays. 17.5 hours in total. Booking with SA direct it is $946. If you book through BravoFly (owned by lastminute.com) and it's $666.

Korean and Asiana is $900-$1000 and is 24 hours in total due to the 6 hours layover in Seoul, so I will never be going that way again.

Great flight times too

Thats not bad Doc, one question are many flights subject to cancel like I was reading not long ago?
Anyhow had a look, seeing what was available, say from November given a clear month before departure. The Thai Airways 16 hours 25 minutes looks favourable.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It used to be the Singapore Airlines Manchester to Singapore route, which used to be the Moscow to Singapore route. Then onwards to Phnom Phnom via SilkAir. I used to take it almost every other month to every month for while from the US to Cambodia. Glad they finally decided to use London Heathrow. Moscow (DME) was cold and miserable. Later on Manchester was cold with not much to do.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:22 pm
Doc67 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 am
AndyKK wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:44 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:59 am Well. it's nice to know that if I decide to leave in a hurry I now have a sensible flight back to London via Singapore thus avoiding the 5 hour flight to Korea and a 6 hour layover. And it's much cheaper.
What price is the flight Doc and how often.
Sundays and Tuesdays. 17.5 hours in total. Booking with SA direct it is $946. If you book through BravoFly (owned by lastminute.com) and it's $666.

Korean and Asiana is $900-$1000 and is 24 hours in total due to the 6 hours layover in Seoul, so I will never be going that way again.

Great flight times too

Thats not bad Doc, one question are many flights subject to cancel like I was reading not long ago?
Anyhow had a look, seeing what was available, say from November given a clear month before departure. The Thai Airways 16 hours 25 minutes looks favourable.

Until Thai Airways are up and running I would stick with airlines that are already flying and haven't been cancelling left right and centre.

I have no intention of going to the UK any time soon, but it is nice to know that should I need to return in an emergency that are other options to the Seoul route.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Rule of the thumb should be to check on airline websites first to see what actually takes off.

These booking websites are still selling tickets for flights that will never happen. If you want to know what airline actually visits PP, check the PP airport website for airline. Step 2, the airline website, and then for hopefully more favorable pricing the other websites.

Also avoid airlines with connecting flights with the Middle East, higher risk of covid on your flight, see for instance Korean Airlines....

I flew Singapore and the flight to SIngapore was pretty empty. A whole row for myself. I could sleep and rest. 10 hrs in a holding area in Singapore was not so nice. You can order food but I preferred to stock up on snacks ahead of time.
Flight Singapore-PP was packed, surprised noone was sitting on the wings.

Food on the long haul flight was good, last leg a decent sandwich. I flew economy.

Try to bring a stamped and signed covid test, check-in ladies will be easier to deal with. I know some dont do that or dont want to sign and stamp but insist.It is worthwhile.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

This is the search engine that powers Google Flight

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

as i said for those wishing to make plans to visit Thailand, Burma, Malaysia

UNTIL the country starts issuing visas,VOA's and visa exempts

DONT book a ticket..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:33 am It used to be the Singapore Airlines Manchester to Singapore route, which used to be the Moscow to Singapore route. Then onwards to Phnom Phnom via SilkAir. I used to take it almost every other month to every month for while from the US to Cambodia. Glad they finally decided to use London Heathrow. Moscow (DME) was cold and miserable. Later on Manchester was cold with not much to do.
Thing is, London is no good to me, I want to be in Manchester, with heading northwards.
Never used Phnom Penh airport, always flew in and out of Bangkok. Etihad was favorite and ended up with a gold card, like yourself I was flying a bit. But the time when I had to have medical assistance, flew again from Bangkok, earliest I could get was four days in advance, high cost of around $1500 one way to Manchester UK
Always "hope" but never "expect".
bambu
Tourist
United States of America

Post by bambu »

lagrange wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:27 am
ZDog wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:39 pm Thanks.

Any cops available to get me in for a $1000 tip?

Will have covid test and insurance.

If you guys are monitoring.......
I had an offer from an agent in PP to give me an invitation letter (offer of employment) for $350. Decided to wait a while until things cool down. If you PM me I will pass on the contact details.
Hi Lagrange,
I just registered. So I am unable to PM you. Could you please send me contact details for the agent in PP? Thanks.
elispe
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by elispe »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:38 pm
Username Taken wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:25 am Are Cambodian embassies abroad processing visa applications?
The London Embassy has a very helpful consular guy. Anyone in the UK ready to make an application can PM me and I will let you have his name and mobile number, the Embassy are not very good at answering their phones.
I have seen him this morning (providing we're talking of the same guy!) and everything went smoothly. I do have a few questions though, you mind sending me a message in private? Thanks
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

AndyKK wrote:Never used Phnom Penh airport, always flew in and out of Bangkok. Etihad was favorite and ended up with a gold card, like yourself I was flying a bit. But the time when I had to have medical assistance, flew again from Bangkok, earliest I could get was four days in advance, high cost of around $1500 one way to Manchester UK
Gold card (Diamond Card in my case) isn’t useless. There’s often a dedicated number that bypasses the masses for service. Also, the Gold card users are prioritized to get tickets over others or open a ticket up. And then there are the lounges, with food and showers. For an example of service, when a typhoon suddenly cancelled the flight from PP to TPE, EVA put me on the next flight on ANA from PP to NRT and onwards to the US. No extra fees. Also, this year I cancelled all my future flights. These were non-refundable. I got money back.

AndyKK - I bet there were no seats available at the time of your emergency. Etihad may have ‘created’ a seat for you. Which took a longer time and cost more.

Sorry for derailing this thread.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic