Loy Khmer

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Loy Khmer

Post by Tarndog »

Within the last month or so, I've had a handful of vendors deny my Khmer money, saying it was damaged, despite it being 100% intact, though worn, which was received as change from a different vendor. Occasionally, there might be a 1/2 cm. tear on an edge of a bill, or in one instance, some scotch tape was on the bill. In all cases, that money was originally denied (but I was later able to get rid of it on an unsuspecting vendor).

In the past 8-9 years, I've given and received Khmer money that would barely stay together when exchanging it with another person, yet all was deemed good. But something seems different now.

Has something legitimate happened that I'm unaware of, or is this just another way to stiff barang?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Loy Khmer

Post by John Bingham »

Tarndog wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:07 pm
Has something legitimate happened that I'm unaware of, or is this just another way to stiff barang?
Nobody else has reported it, so it's likely they're just trying to stiff you. You don't trust them - they don't trust you. It's a classic example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

I had a 500 Riel note declined by a market vendor yesterday because of a 1cm tear in it. I thought she was joking but she wasn’t.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Ahh, so it isn't just me, as has been suggested!!

500 Khr, for Christ sake! That vendor is a fool.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

In all my years here vendors have rejected notes with the slightest tear or any tape. Nothing new methinks.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:06 pm In all my years here vendors have rejected notes with the slightest tear or any tape. Nothing new methinks.
Absolutely the same when I've tried paying with $US, but lately with Khmer money, especially even the tiny denominations, has been an awakening!!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:34 pm I had a 500 Riel note declined by a market vendor yesterday because of a 1cm tear in it. I thought she was joking but she wasn’t.
Khmer women never joke about money!
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:06 pm In all my years here vendors have rejected notes with the slightest tear or any tape. Nothing new methinks.
Until the incident a couple of days ago, for over six years I’ve never had any problem with Riels being declined, and I’ve handed over filthy dirty notes, badly torn notes, taped up notes and combinations of the three. Dollar bills were and are another matter, but until recently a 500 Riel note could have been chewed, swallowed and shit back out of a dog and still been accepted by any vendor.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Chad Sexington wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:12 pm
Until the incident a couple of days ago, for over six years I’ve never had any problem with Riels being declined, and I’ve handed over filthy dirty notes, badly torn notes, taped up notes and combinations of the three. Dollar bills were and are another matter, but until recently a 500 Riel note could have been chewed, swallowed and shit back out of a dog and still been accepted by any vendor.
I was going to say that there are clearly some vendors who will take the notes, but depends on the kind of places you're generally around. If you're in a wet market in the back end of Chom Chao, I suspect you could take that shat out note, let it swim with the fish in a bucket, fish it out two weeks later, dry it out & they'd still accept it. If you're handing it over in Aeon 2, probably different outcome. And if you have to offload it, the parking attendants & traffic light kids will of course take it in a split second & probably know where to sort it out for some kind of exchange if it is that far gone.
:hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic