RIP: Trink has passed

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

RIP: Trink has passed

Post by phuketrichard »

if you were around in the 70's-90's, Trinks page, (night Owl) long before stickman or stickyboy, was the go to page in the bangkok post's friday edition for info on Bangkok's night life

TIT

Bernard Trink, one of the most memorable figures in the long history of the Bangkok Post, has passed away at the age of 89.
He had been ill and was being treated at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, where he died of a blood infection on Tuesday night, said his wife Aree Trink.

He is survived by his wife and two children, a son and daughter. His cremation will be held at Sala 5, Wat That Thong, at 2pm on Sunday.

Trink was best known for his Nite Owl column, a freewheeling weekly chronicle of the seamier side of the city’s vibrant nightlife scene. The column had a devoted following, mainly among expatriates, who voiced strong reactions pro and con. But even his most ardent detractors never missed reading it.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... 08ET1b1_tg
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: RIP: Trink has passed

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

A good innings.

I remember being in Delaney's/Shenanigans bar in Pattaya in the 90's one weekend afternoon and he came in with his wife on one of his sojourns to Sin city. Very distinctive character, what I particularly remember were his braces pulling his trousers up way above his socks, looked quite funny given he was small and round. His column was an essential read for me and my pals in those days and it was a bit sad when he fell victim to the sands of political correctness.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

I arrived in Bangkok 1991...Trink's column was highly anticipated every week for me....
He was spot on most of the time in my opinion...got a lot of stick for his HIV view..... Remember his column about a son of his dying.....Did not read any of the books he reviewed.... But was such an important part of the BKK life for expats.....
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I remember Bernard Trink's column very well. I never knew the man but always enjoyed reading his columns every week. Sorry to hear of his death but happens to us all eventually. 89 is a good innings.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

For those who want to reminisce, some of his columns were saved here: http://www.oocities.org/doxyblue/alltrink.html
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

good riddance.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Multipox wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:55 am good riddance.
10 days since, why so?
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Yerg wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:22 am ....
10 days since, why so?
number of days has nothing to do with it
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

^^ Riveting
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic